Software
Houzz Logo Print
mydogmiddy

Help before I make a mistake

10 years ago
Just carpeted a room that we use as a TV room. We did it in a grey with a fleck of white. The room is funky, not very big, has two side by side closets, one whole wall has windows. The problem is I need a comfortable SMALL sofa.....not a loveseat. I have looked at a FLEXSTEEL sofa and chair that I know I can get into this room, that's a whole issue too. I'm not sold on this sofa because I don't like the attached back cushions. The store has assured me that the seat cushions won't get out of shape because it's a FLEXSTEEL. I have also looked at a BASSETT design your own sofa which I like a lot more but I'm not sure Ithey can maneuver it into the funky space because it is 79" long and the FLEXSTEEL is 74". I am attaching pictures of the FS sofa which were taken at the store and the fabric swatches hanging from my current furniture in the room. What do you think? Thanks!

Comments (28)

  • 10 years ago

    If you even have thought that it cannot be put in the room then do not get the 79 inch. I am also dubious about attached cushions. I hope someone who owns one will advise you. Is the brown chair staying?

  • 10 years ago
    No, the brown chair and black LS both go. What did you think of the fabric on that FS sofa?
  • 10 years ago

    Is the fabric for cushions? Looks good. For the whole sofa this would be somewhat overwhelming. ;) But can you post pics of the entire room? Also, you should have no difficulty finding a good quality sofa in that style with non-attached back cushions. Do you have stores in your area that specialize in "condo sized" furniture? You'd likely find more small sofas on offer somewhere like that. What is the length of the wall where you want to put the sofa, and what else are you putting there (end tables? lamps?). You should draw up a floor plan to take with you, along with photos, when you go sofa shopping. A good store will be able to help you find an appropriate sized sofa if you have an accurate floor plan. It would also help anyone here advise you.

  • 10 years ago

    There are a whole bunch of 74" sofas out there. What makes you feel you are limited to Flexsteel or Bassett?

  • 10 years ago
    I live in rural PA about 100 mi North of PGH. QUality furniture stores are few and far between in this area. I want to be able to see the sofa and sit on it. There is one other store I can check out but I know they don't have anything on the floor. The configuration and location of this TV room make this decision painful. This is a FLW apprentice house and it's funky.
  • 10 years ago

    Lee industries, see if someone close has that

  • 10 years ago

    I don't blame you for not wanting to drive a hundred miles to shop. I don't care for the patterned fabric but you will be the one living with it. Is the inside of the house in tact prairie style or something close to it?

  • 10 years ago
    I won't address your fabric choices, but I can say that I have had several Flex steel piecess. They are all great quality, I would say high quality. My previous Flex steel sectional (heavily used) had attached back cushions. I understand your concern, but I was able to "revive" my back cushions. Check this sofa to see if there is a zipper hidden underneath the cushions. I pulled out the insides and rotated them to look like new after about 3 years of use. I encourage you to share your concerns with your local furniture dealer for input, and also to shop local. You will have better service long-term as opposed to driving 100 miles away. Flexsteel quality has been superior for me.
  • 10 years ago
    Here are three pictures of the space. Pleas excuse the fold up chair and the old upolstered bench. They haven't found a place in this house yet. Please understand that this is furniture from a previous house and this room was never meant to be a tv room. The first owner used it as his office. Another thing is the location of the tv. I know it's not the greatest but that's were the cable was located. I'm now thinking a studio sofa 74". It would fit better in the room and be easier to get through the little hallway maze.
  • 10 years ago

    I totally understand the 74" sofa. It is the size we used in our library. Perfect place for my husband to "get away" and still be involved!!

    I like the fabric and pattern. Solid pillows and a throw....awesome!!

    It is a cute room. I'm sure we can make it WOW!!!

    If you use that patterned fabric, what are you going to do for chairs and tables?

    The solid grey chair? Darker wood furniture? The wood you have now lends itself to more of a warmer fabric.

  • 10 years ago
    A pattern like that will be very hard to pull off and decorate with. It will limit your other choices. If you like color, why not a sofa with some color?
  • 10 years ago
    The sofa will be the grey and I'm thinking about using the other fabric on a chair to match.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Think it depends on the size of chair. To me, the pattern is a bit loud - a little will go a long way. Unfortunately, because of my age, it also reminds me of Marimmeko fabrics from the late 60s/early 70s. We had some bathroom curtains in red and lime green that looked a lot like that. So my own prejudices may be showing through here... It would work well for cushions on the grey sofa. I'd go for something a little "quieter". I actually like the fabric on the cushions on the sofa in the second pic, better.

  • 10 years ago

    I think you should have one chair that is.....loud!! It is your signature chair!! I have one in my family room and I LOVE it!! Every time I look at that chair (every day!) it makes me smile!!

    If these are your colors, go for it. It is only a chair. If it gets on your nerves, you can throw a throw on it!!

  • 10 years ago

    It is a small tucked away area. Make it fun!!!

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments and help. I still don't know what to think about this Design Your own Sofa by Bassett. I know that I need a studio size, 74" with track arms. I found one by Drexel that is located 60mi from me so I'm off to look at it. The fabric swatches were from FLEXSTEEL and I'm not sold on them. Hate to sound so fussy but I don't want to be disappointed with my purchase. Should have kept my my moms Drexel sofa and had it reupholstered!
  • 10 years ago

    You are not sounding fussy. Go with what you feel!!

  • 9 years ago
    I would never get a couch with attached cushions. First you need to be able to rotate or flip them, and it is nice to pull them off for napping on the couch with someone!
  • 9 years ago
    I totally agree about attached cushions!
  • 9 years ago

    How about painting those wooden closet door white or even the wall color?

  • 9 years ago

    All of my sofas have a camel back, not attached cushions. I would never have anything else. I find sofas with removable cushions extremely uncomfortable, especially because I am so short my feet never touch the floor.

  • 9 years ago
    Lee lee, just can't paint wood it's a hubby rule. Plus this is a FLW apprentice house.
  • 9 years ago

    Did you see the Drexel yet?

  • 9 years ago
    Yes I did see the Drexel and it wasn't the style I had hoped for. Nice sofa but not track arms.

    Someone had suggested Lee industries. No one in the area carries those. I've checked as far as State College, Altoona and Johnstown. Everyone pretty much has the same Flexsteel, smith bros (no track arm sofa), lazy boy, Amish.

    I just want a simple nicely constructed small track arm sofa with loose back cushions. Can't be more the 79" long and 74 would be better! It might end up being the Bassett Design Your Own.
  • 9 years ago
    I have made a decision. I'm going with a Bassett custom design 74" sofa which will easily fit through the small hallway and not over power the small space. The sofa will be Dove gray and the 2 pillows will be the patterned fabric.
  • 9 years ago

    Looks lovely! Good choice.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you, Paddy.