Software
Houzz Logo Print
pumanm

Granite Backsplash or Not

13 years ago
We are remodeling kitchen, installing granite countertop and I cannot decide if I should go with 4 inch granite back splash or not. I would rather go with the solid color tile over granite counter; however my concern is the area behind sink. This area tends to have more standing water around sink and spalshes. Will this not promote mold/ mildew growth in the grout between granite counter and back spalsh tile?

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with Dan, I am not a fan of the 4" backsplash either. I would use the tile. We use the caulk that matches the grout for the seam between the countertop and bottom row of tile, but even it will crack (particularly on an exterior wall) but it is easy to clean out and replace. We just prepare our homeowners that this is a maintenance step that needs to be done every 4 years or so.
  • 13 years ago
    Another vote for a tile backsplash starting at the counter.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    It depends on what your budget will allow. I would definitely lean towards a full tile back splash if you can, but I agree with Dan Davis that it looks like an after thought to do 4" stone and then tile. Most people do 4" granite because it's standard (we don't charge any extra for it), and they don't want to spend the extra money. It is more functional to have some kind of full back splash behind the sink and stove as well, although, many people don't have this and I'm sure would argue it's okay not to. I personally would do full though.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all for replying. Price is not an issue between deciding granite back splash or tile. It is a battle between aesthetics (which definitely votes for full tile back splash) and maintenance (with granite back splash I won't have to deal with mold/ mildew situation). Dan, our home is 6-7 years old, so hopefully there won't be any serious settlement related cracks. On the same note, Deborah, I think you are right that over time, the caulk will tend to crack and thus it will be a matter of maintenance.
  • 13 years ago
    I think there are enough examples of tile to the counter so that you can feel comfortable choosing aesthetics over maintenance in this case. This is one of those situations were I would. In any post where there is a 4 inch backsplash there are always suggestions to remove it. It does make a big difference.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The choice between granite and tile backsplash is aesthetic. The granite is a little bit easier to clean off, but exposed wall above it will end up with more mess too. Go with whatever looks better to you, and either option installed properly will keep your wall dry and cozy.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As far as which one, I'll agree with a lot of the other comments. I usually prefer all full granite backsplash, full tile, or 5" backsplash if you like to change the paint color/ hang things on the wall. Like JDM mentioned, it can be a little awkward to have 4-5" backplash and tile together. It breaks up the wall space in an awkward way.

    Do you have a picture of the granite you are choosing? I usually recommend to clients that they pick the stone first. Sometimes, if you find something you really love, you'll want more of it. Your top granite choice could be nearly impossible to match up with tile or the opposite could happen and you see a tile/ granite combination that is going to be stunning. Definitely pick out the countertops first and see if it "asks" for any particular backspash option.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you are considering full granite back splash, then Granite Grannies asks a good question, what is the material choice? Sometimes with granite that has a lot of movement to it, it can require another slab to do the back splash, and it can be difficult to perfectly match up the flow, color shading, etc. especially if you have long runs of it. If you decide to go this route, you may want to talk to your fabricator about how the lay out will look. They may even let you go to the shop to go over the lay out (that's what we do in these situations so there are no surprises). Just something to think about with the full granite back splash option.
  • 13 years ago
    Granite Grannies & JDM Countertops: both of you have some really good points. One of the thoughts I had was to have granite full back splash behind the sink area and full tile back splash in remaining countertop space. I wasn't sure how it will look but then I found the picture attached showing something similar (
    Revelation Bordeaux Granite · More Info
    ). Do you think this will make the walls look too busy? I haven't finalized the granite yet, but we are leaning towards sienna bordeaux for granite and neutral tone solid tiles.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @pumanm After reading all the comments, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. By carefully selecting the finishes you can have the best of both worlds. If you have a good countertop person, they can even waterjet cut the center of the stone area to insert a decorative element that you have used in the rest of the splash area.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't have a picture, but my neighbor has shiny granite countertops and her backsplash is porcelain tile and granite tiles mixed (all are about 4" square tiles). The granite tiles are the same granite as the countertop (similar to the one you're considering) and the porcelain tiles are a very calm complimentary color and kind of rough in texture. I'm not sure if it's half and half alternating or maybe two thirds porcelain and one third granite, but it's beautiful. She just copied the model home since she liked the look so much.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would agree that if you do a full granite splash only behind the sink, it may be a good idea to incorporate the granite in other areas of the back splash so it doesn't look so segregated. You can do dots, randomly swap out tiles in the same size, or even a liner. This will require more work on your tile installer because of thickness differences, but it could help with cohesion.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here's just one example on Houzz of swapping out random tiles...
    Granite Countertops and Tile Backsplash Ideas · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    JDM - thanks for posting the picture! That's quite similar to what I was trying to describe. My neighbor's has a much higher percentage of granite tiles, but it's definitely the same idea. I really like the idea and think it ties the spash to the counter so nicely.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all. This discussion has been really helpful. I will try to post some pictures post remodeling.
  • 9 years ago

    I was told I couldn't use tile backsplash on outside walls. We live in Illinois & the drastic change in weather is the concern on the outside walls. Is this true?

  • 9 years ago

    @scarlet Coers I suggest starting your own question/thread rather than tagging a new question onto the end of a three-year-old thread on a vaguely related topic...