Software
Houzz Logo Print
joobemelon

Shower Niche Slope

9 years ago
Hi all,

I have a niche in my shower that slightly slopes inwards. It was this way when we bought the house. Otherwise the shower is in good condition so please don't say redo it. Even if that's the only real solution, we're not going to redo it.

So what I was thinking was I could lay a tile on top of the existing niche bottom, using waterproof acrylic adhesive, and adjust the slope. Then instead of grout if silicone all the edges. Then to further waterproof the tile, I'd seal it. I'm thinking porcelain would be the most water resistant? I know water will go in there but it's not like it'll be submerged in water so I'm thinking this solution may be okay?

What might be better than porcelain? Also I've been looking for larger tile that has a finished edge(bullnose or chamfered) and there isn't any. The tile size would have to be roughly 10" wide by 6" deep. Any suggestions?? Thank you!!!

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sounds like a mildew trap to me not to mention it won't look good. Can you not just replace that tile and regrout? It doesn't have to be with one piece. Is there a photo of your niche?

  • 9 years ago
    What material would you advise as a solid surface? Like marble or quartz?
  • 9 years ago
    And would they have a piece that's thin enough? I wouldn't want an inch thick piece. More along the lines of 3/8" to half inch at the most.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    corian

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You could use an impervious through body porcelain and scribe fit it, and silicone it in place with some composite shims to pitch.. I would first remediate moisture and clean things . Blowdryers work great for heating up and mitigating the existing moisture after you clean for mildew.

    A patch repair that would buy you time. Not the proper way...... yet a cost effective solution

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree that a solid surface piece will be the most effective. You can use a small grinder to take the original tile out (if water sat and got behind it, it will be even easier to remove then). You can use a piece of kerdi band to ensure that its water proofed at that point. You could probably get an off cut for a fairly reasonable price if you're not terribly picky on material/colour.


    There are a lot of different thicknesses available in solid surface 3/8" is the smallest I've seen. Depending on the width of your niche you might be able to use a large scale tile instead. I would call a good quality smaller tile or counter company. they are more likely to have a better solution.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, Corian works. That's what we used for our shower threshold and it's a great choice.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    joobemelon:

    Silicone waterproof plastic shims in the back thick enough to make the solid surface sill pitch water forward. Having fitted the sill for a 1/8" perimeter gap, place a dab of hot melt on top of each shim, place a bead of silicone across the front, and place the sill with the gap. Over fill the gap with silicone slightly, spritz it with Windex, spit on your finger, and remove the excess silicone. Wipe up the Windex without touching the fresh silicone.

  • 9 years ago
    Joe, I wish you were in Los Angeles. So I noticed you didn't mention anything to hold the surface down other than silicone in the gaps. Should nothing be used such as a waterproof adhesive?
  • 9 years ago
    Tundra and Joe mentioned using silicone as the "glue". I was originally going to use a waterproof acrylic adhesive. Would silicone work? And would it stick to the top of existing tile?

    Also where do I get composite or waterproof plastic shims??
  • 9 years ago
    Do solid surfaces come with a rough edge like tile? If so how could I either chamfer or bullnose it?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @home depot , eco shims and GE brand 100% silicone II, maybe $10 total.- best

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    @joobemelon

    yes silicone will stick to nearly all types of properly cleaned and dry tile stone and solid surface.

    Again with the proper cleaning and drying first, you can also add a good rubdown on the tile with denatured alchohol or acetone to remove any surface oils. before siliconing.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    "Do solid surfaces come with a rough edge like tile? If so how could I either chamfer or bullnose it?"


    Yes and yes. You can have any edge you want on solid surface. Gloss to chiseled.