Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljsquishy

Can I go with ORB cabinet pulls?

Lisa G
7 years ago

I love white kitchens with ORB pulls but not sure if brushed nickel would look better in our kitchen. I prefer overhead lights to be ORB/black finish and all of our lighting will be changed out eventually.

Would you do ORB pulls knowing our lighting will change? Does it matter that our pantry door (and others) are brushed nickel? I like the Amerock Westerly pulls and similar styles. I like stores like Crate & Barrel, West Elm, etc with a hint of Pottery Barn, World Market, etc.

Also need suggestions on a smaller round dining table for the informal space here!

Comments (23)

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• acm
    7 years ago

Love the finish on your island! wow.

If you're sure that you're headed bronze for fixtures, then I'd get bronze for pulls now, and I'd change the pantry door handle to match (even if the shape matches other doors in the house). Of course, nickel would also look lovely in this space, but the bronze (or even iron!) probably captures a bit of the industrial-transitional feel that you're going for. (Also keep the metal finish in mind when you're looking at stools.)

No suggestions on a table -- it's hard to judge the scale of space that will be available for one once you have bar stools in place, and with that doorway there. Probably round or oval though...

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you. We actually won't have barstools there because the granite overhang is only 9" and we don't want our cabinets ruined by feet. The cardboard on the floor in this photo is 36"x78" approximately for reference and has a 4ft border on the short sides (and sofa side also). We will be getting all new furniture as well. I think for table size we want something small (we have formal dining also) in the 36"-42" max range, just to seat four.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I don't think ORB is the best choice in your lovely kitchen, etc. the flooring and wood base island is gorgeous. Have you considered some mixed metal that uses the new "aged gold". I could see that in your space. Let me post some examples. Be back.
  • jck910
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. TV is very high, almost looks like if you are standing at island light is in the way

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here are a couple choices for kitchen hardware.

Pull, 3" CTC, Antique Brass · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Hickory Hardware 1-1/4 In. Bungalow Windover Antique Cabinet Knob · More Info

George Shell Fiberglass Pendant Light by Worlds Away · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Currey and Company Regatta Pendant · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Bally 1-Light Pendant Satin Nickel Silvery Mercury Glass · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Small Hicks Pendant, Bronze and Hand-Rubbed Antique Brass with White Glass · More Info
    this is great fixture and combines darker metal look with aged brass.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

That is a wide range of pricing, but you can find examples of the more expensive ones at lower prices if you hunt around. I definitely don't think the ORB are appropriate with your colors and finishes. Either the new aged gold, or the brushed nickel would be best bets I believe.

• Pennie Heath
    7 years ago
    Flo where is that pendant from? I love it! Thanks.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Pennie, if you mean the last one, West Elm. Only $99 too!
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I would do ORB. You need more contrast.

• leelee
    7 years ago

ORB will work and it's fine, even preferable, to mix metals. Here are some examples.

• leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pictures of mixed metals Won't post I'll try again later.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My husband definitely wouldn't go for the aged brass hardware, though I love the brass/iron globe fixture!

I feel like nickel hardware will look so blah. Maybe I only feel that way because the builder grade lights are so ugly.

And, yes, our TV is high...we will be building a mantle and surround and needed to make sure the electrician put the smurf tube hole in the right spot. It will be a couple of inches higher than top of the mantle which has to be about 12" from the top of the fireplace for code. We actually hate low TVs "at eye level"...and I understand we're in the minority. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Then I think this might appeal.

Bally 1-Light Pendant Satin Nickel Silvery Mercury Glass · More Info
    This is silver Mercury Glass and looks really nice when the light is off or on. Priced well too.

• Lisa G
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I do love mercury glass. :)

• Anna Frackowiak
    7 years ago
    I think ORB handle pulls would look lovely with complementary lighting. Maybe pendants in this style?
  • leelee
    7 years ago

OK

mixed metals

• PRO
    M&M Interiors
    7 years ago

Mixing metals in the kitchen is not a problem. You can do a different finish on the door hardware from the finish on the pendant lights. The key is to keep both in the same style. For example, if you are going for industrial looking lights, do hardware that gives you that same feel. I like the idea of mixing the newer antique brass with the whites and grays. It gives you contrast but is not as harsh a look as the ORB on the white would be. I think a few stunning pendants can make a real statement in the kitchen, making the cabinet hardware selection much easier. Start with the lights you love and go from there. Good luck!