Software
Houzz Logo Print
greekprincess80

Backsplash

9 years ago
Hi Everyone,

So, I have a question....
We installed Blue Macauba tiles in our shower in a frame as an accent piece.
This tile is very expensive! And the installation of the surrounding tile is not easy. I got a picture if how it looks and I absolutely love it!!!!!
Then I went to the house and loved it even more.....until I picked up a loose tile and realized that the 'Moraccan Tile' was installed sideways!!!
Now, I don't NEED the Moraccan look, however, I'm wondering if I should have him re-do it. Does this look ok?!

Comments (52)

  • 9 years ago

    Lesson learned. I know it's hard to anticipate everything. It helps to be on the job everyday if possible.

  • 9 years ago
    If you hadn't said something I wouldn't have known.
  • 9 years ago
    Look at it as a modern twist on Moroccan tile. I wouldn't waste my money on a redo.
  • 9 years ago
    That makes me feel better.
    Lol, thank you.
    Yes, moving forward, my Husband will be on site.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I loved the way it's installed!

    It looks beautiful =)

  • 9 years ago
    Thank You so much!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That's too bad. Generally there is a lay-out pattern/instructions in the box. At the very least, we would ask when there is a choice like that to be made. That being said, it's still a lovely result (if you can "pretend" that you didn't know the difference). Most of our clients wouldn't accept it though - just saying.

  • 9 years ago

    Greekprincess, I turned my laptop to look at the tile pattern how it should have been installed, and I do honestly like it better how the installer did it. But you are the one who needs to be satisfied. Turn the picture sideways and see how you like it better. Gorgeous tile by the way!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    He installed the tile as if it were a quatrefoil, not a Moroccan tile. But it is a Moroccan tile and that pattern is installed with the points up and down and the rounds on the sides. I don't see why this should be on your dime if you want a do ever; so that the tile is laid with/on the correct orientation.

  • 9 years ago

    It is beautiful. I would leave it alone!

  • 9 years ago
    Greek princess, I am in the middle of a bath & kitchen redo. Stuff happens. Sometimes mistakes end up being opportunities. If it will drive you crazy every time you look at it, change it. But I found that sometimes keeping perspective on the big picture is important. I frankly like it the way it looks. Unless you are planning on entertaining a group of Moroccan tile manufacturers in your shower, I wouldn't worry about it! LOL
  • 9 years ago
    Quatrefoil! That's right!!!
  • 9 years ago
    Maggie,

    Lol. True!!!!!
    Good luck on your projects and Thank You. To be honest, I'm not dedicated to the Moroccan look....

    I really just don't wanted it to look
    Upside down or installed improperly, that's all.

    Thank You for your comment
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The installation overall quality looks very good. Leave well enough alone. Who is going to see it? It is very beautiful. You have learned an important construction lesson. You can assume NOTHING. Details must be spelled out in writing and pictures! Tear outs usually result in messes not good outcomes. Good luck.
  • 9 years ago

    From one Greek Princess to another? This is beautiful. That said, you've discovered a bit of a defect in the install. Just present it like that- "WHOOPS! Things happen" and let the installers take care of the fix.

    Don't change it. Really cool.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    This is why we as designers do detailed drawings and meet with the tile guy to dry set everything before installation and make sure there are no questions or misses on his part

    Old saying .. measure twice cut once works here too. Never assume the tile guy knows what you want just because he's done this for 20 years

    However, I don't think it looks bad how it's done .. just not the traditional layout of that pattern... but if it bothers you now it's still going to bother you 5 years from now.

  • 9 years ago
    It's gorgeous!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Trying to figure out how this happened. Maybe your tile guy was laying down on the job, lol.

    BTW, I agree it's a gorgeous tile!

  • 9 years ago

    To me it looks like a happy mistake. I wouldn't have thought to lay it in that direction.

  • 9 years ago

    Forget the direction- you've already said you like it. The loose tiles need to be fixed- shored up- or you'll have a nightmare fairly soon in the wet area.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It looks better this way!

  • 9 years ago

    gorgeous. either way. Looks fine like this. No one will know, but you. where did you find this tile? was this a custom water jet you had done on this stone?

  • 9 years ago
    My dear, I came home one weekend to discover wall paper had been installed up side down in two rooms and an entire hallway. It was my fault. I should have told the guy who hung it which way was up! That was 40 years ago. Guess what? I learned from that "mistake." You will learn from this one...and be that much wiser the next time around. Trust me....not much gets by me now! And when you take a shower and look at that tile, SMILE! It is unique and only YOU know the story behind it. Own it! And move on....
  • 9 years ago
    It is stunning and like another comment said, if you hadn't mentioned the direction I would never notice
  • 9 years ago

    Actually, since it appears your frame is a horizontal rectangle....I personally like it better this way.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It really is a gorgeous tile, and as feyenjudy said works better with the shape of the feature panel.

  • 9 years ago
    Juanita, εψχαρισο :)
  • 9 years ago
    Gray and walter, thank you!!
  • 9 years ago
    Beth, thank you :)
  • 9 years ago
    Thank You Everyone! I really appreciate it. I'm going to leave it!
    I got these tiles from Tile Shop in Danbury CT
  • 9 years ago
    Ptreckel, lesson learned! Absolutely.
    I will do that...just smile. I absolutely live the tile itself and it was installed beautifully....Thank You!
  • 9 years ago
    Lainey, thank you very much. All your comments are very much appreciated
  • 9 years ago
    Feyen and Diana,
    My Husband said the same thing, so Thank You. As much as I know he really hated the thought of removing the tiles, he said if I want it done, it's no problem. Luckily, we have extra tiles, so he meant it. But it's true....
    It THINK it may look better.
    I decided to leave it. The tile us going in the niche, same exact way, lol
  • 9 years ago

    you are a trendsetter!! now everyone will want their tile that way :) it is beautiful

  • 9 years ago
    Juanita,
    "The loose tiles need to be fixed- shored up- or you'll have a nightmare fairly soon in the wet area."
    Which tiles are you referring to?!
    They're not grouted yet, but what loose tiles?!
  • 9 years ago
    Another vote for leave as is. Gorgeous!
  • 9 years ago
    Jennifer,
    Haha, that would be hilarious!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Love it- leave it!!
  • 9 years ago
    Thank You Susan!!!
  • 9 years ago
    Handcrafted House,
    Thank You very much!
  • 9 years ago

    greekprincess80- my mistake. I read "picked up a loose tile" and thought you were referring to something installed, rather than an extra.


  • 9 years ago
    Juanita,
    Oh ok...You scared me!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    What will be the best art work for this bathroom?
    Basketweave floor
    Double sink vanity
    Blue accent wall
    Blue marble tiles accent wall
    Glitzy light fixtures
    Thank You!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    beautiful. silver metal frame, whites/blues, pinks. flowers, or landscape or seashore, seashells, tons of ideas. even OliverGal prob has some canvas art you could use

    zebra, blue leopard! or stay with monochromatic. black/white/gray in a silver frame. do you take your own photos? maybe shoot something cool where you live. or close up of flowers or trees. Art is very personal, so it's hard to pick something for someone else.

  • 9 years ago

    These are gorgeous ideas! Thank You!!!

  • 9 years ago

    Where do I find these?


  • 9 years ago

    lol, sorry! 2,3 and 4


  • 9 years ago

    I need simple and ELEGANT!

  • 9 years ago

    Gimme that bathroom!! Love!!

    greekprincess80 thanked bambooze212