Software
Houzz Logo Print
sara_luster

Backsplash

9 years ago
How does this backsplash look with my granite and cabinets?

Comments (67)

  • 9 years ago
    Look at it this way.
    Putting a tiled backsplash on top of a 4" countertop backsplash is like putting a glittery bandage on top of a regular bandage.
    It's serves no purpose because you technically already have a backsplash.
    Removing it gives it a nicer, cleaner look.
    But at the end of the day it is your house.
    You make the call.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Sara - it is a pet peeve of many Houzzers. I have this 4 inch backsplash with my subway tile. If I were starting from scratch, I would probably have removed mine, but it really does not bother me. I had my walls painted before, but truthfully I love the subway tile better than the paint.

    Is there a reason you do not want to remove the 4 inch one?

  • 9 years ago
    Seems like a waste of good granite to remove it. Also, I think it will be a hassle to remove. I think it looks fine. I went on a Facebook group asking for advice on the tile and I got 300 responses and not one person mentioned the 4 inches of granite. Only people on here talk about it. I don't think 99% of people would even notice it or question it.
  • 9 years ago
    It is not a hassle to have the 4" backsplash removed, but they have to address any side areas if you are not putting new tile on those walls. The only problem occurs if the walls are uneven to the point that you have gaps, which were easily hidden by the existing granite splash. Sometimes the newer tile is very thin and needs a backing on first to build up the wall evenly. ( or extra mastic)
    What everyone is saying is that is does look clean and well intended if the the new tile is not resting on top of the "dated" looking 4" backsplash. It is a trend in a way, because everyone is taking off the old ones to now add tile, but it is a matter of preference too.
  • 9 years ago
    Your wall color looks very nice with your granite. Try a ceramic subway the same color as your wall.
  • 9 years ago

    that's the risk you take posting to a design forum, you either love the advice or don't but most of the people on here are here to help because they love design, not trying to critique, but be helpful. in the end all that matters is what YOU think and what YOU love

  • 9 years ago
    Leave the 4" piece, paint and add undercounter lighting. You don't need a backsplash, you already have one. It looks good as is!

    If you really think you need one, then you HAVE to remove the 4" piece; otherwise it looks silly, no matter what 300 people didn't see or think.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks fi all the tips. Im just st super frustrated because I was hoping this would be a simple project. I don't want to spend the money on something if it is going to not look right. However, I know I can't take that granite out myself and would have to hire someone and that makes this project more expensive. I'm not sure if I'll hire someone or not yet.yet,going to get estimates
  • 9 years ago
    Also, no one seems to even like any of the tile options, so I'm not sure I should even waste the money. Nothing seems to match well with the granite or cabinets. It's super frustrating, because I really wanted a backsplash.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Truth is, nothing in life is simple if you want excellent results. Instead of getting hundreds of comments in search of agreement with "simple" how about going to a class and learn how to remove the 4" granite (it is just glued on and maybe caulked) and learn how to put up a simple but nice backsplash yourself. There are YouTube videos and home improvement classes or you hite someone to do it right.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hey There: It is very difficult to get a back splash matching the existing granite splash. You either have to remove the granite splash and then pick the tile for the new back splash or your smoothen the textured wall and just paint it with water resistant pain...which would be the least expensive upgrade.

    Good Luck

  • 9 years ago

    You already have a backsplash. I wouldn't muddle it up with putting tile above it. I'd put my funds into under cabinet lighting and call it a day. Sometimes less is more.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You seem opposed to removing the 4" backsplash. If the 4" backsplash doesn't bother you and you want to add a backsplash on top of it, then do it. You are the one who needs to be excited about it, not us. I think the brown glass subway tile is beautiful (it's subtle and classic with the right tones to compliment your granite)! And, like suggested earlier, add some under cabinet lighting to brighten the space and highlight your design. Overall, you have a gorgeous kitchen and should be proud.

    Hope this helps!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Not a big fan of having both the 4 inch granite and the tile on top of it either, but it looks like it will be more complicated than just removing the 4 inch backsplash since your granite backsplash seems to extend higher under your sink and along your windowsill. So if you remove, you will need to decide whether to keep or remove that part, and if you remove, you will need to repair/replace window sill.

    I'm in the camp of leave well enough alone with the backsplash you have. But it is your kitchen and if you don't mind the double backsplash sure, go for it. But not based on the number of likes on facebook or here, instead base it on your own aesthetic.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @ Sara Luster

    How many pros have advised here, along with how many of the general pop audience? Do you want the BEST result? What you are attempting is much like buying beautiful wallpaper and refusing to freshen the trim paint. You are not "wasting" granite!! They basically gave you the sleeves from their vest at the fabricator. It's no different than removing the boring made to match pillows from your new SOFA!! Had you asked that they leave them out, as you were panning to have your pillows made custom by your curtain sewer?? You'd have saved not a dime. Certainly you'd have not saved enough granite expense to cover tile and installation!

    I will add that if you consult enough folks, particularly on Facebook, you will definitely get the answer you are seeking. You asked, and many here have suggested the best result, The labor will be the same for a good one, or a bad one. Just like with wallpaper. The ugly costs as much to hang as the sensational selection.................but have at it your way : ) it's your home and your money.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Hi Sara, leave the 4" Backsplash that you like then, add the new one on top, ...but just try to get undercounter lighting like Sophie suggested, if possible,

  • 9 years ago

    Sara, you do not need a backsplash. The four inch is fine. Enjoy your kitchen.

    BTW, those example photos you put up eighteen hours ago all show why the four inch granite with additional backsplash does not work.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Removing the 4" splash is fairly easy. If you cannot DIY that, then you can't DIY the tile splash either. It's actually more difficult to accomplish than the splash removal. It's all about math, so that the result looks good. And fine motor control skills, along with an eye for spatial relationships. Which perhaps explains the diverse opinion between a site devoted to design, which is populated by those with that gift for seeing spatial relationships, and a site devoted to cat videos, political rants, and baby pictures.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I really like my cream tiles with my wood cabinets.


    My pics -work in progress: · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Sophie, might I offer you another Prune Danish;)


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sophie and I will have a cherry danish. Please and thank you.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Sara!

    I have had quite a few customers who did not want to remove their 4" splash and the kitchen still looks very nice. However with your granite and cabinets, You may want to consider a cream travertine tile . Then you have stone with stone in the backsplash, rather than stone with glass which is tougher to mix together.

    here are a couple pics where my customer kept their 4" splash


    Linda Paul

    lindapaul.com

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @ sully

    All kidding aside, look into Crosseville "Modern Mythology". It comes in several beige tones and the mesh mosaic is extremely tonal. It needs NO GROUT. But it will not look good with a splash riser, you'll spoil the effect. The tiny stones are very tonal and pair very well with a granite such as your with no "busy" effect. Comes four or five colors, several warm and light beige. Check a tile store in your area for samples. or.........

    http://www.tile-stone-stores.com/brands/crossville-b-9/modern-mythology-griffin-t-794/?m=5992

    https://www.google.com/search?q=modern+mythology+griffin&biw=1920&bih=860&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5ybnu9-LPAhVI7R4KHXy-D10QsAQINw#imgrc=U1r_dvXbBvxeCM%3A

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry Linda Paul, but that second kitchen just looks awful!

  • 9 years ago

    Weird, I'm trying to put a like on Margo's cherry danish and it just won't accept it.

  • 9 years ago

    Ann, I deleted it because Sophie deleted her comments.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh, OK, that explains it. I must have been looking at it mid-delete, lol:)

  • 9 years ago
    The curved window over the door is at odds with the res of the lines of the house, making it look out of place.
  • 9 years ago
    Keep the white.
  • 9 years ago

    I have that same granite (came with the house) and it leans pink. You need to be very careful not to get a tile that leans green (will emphasize the pink). A simple cream, all one color with a matching grout is the only thing that won't fight with the busyness of the counter. Like all the previous posters, I really encourage you to get rid of the 4" strip.

  • 9 years ago
    What did you decide on? Are you getting rid of the current backsplash? I vote get rid of it, I think it will give your kitchen a much cleaner look.
  • 9 years ago
    I'm indecisive! Lol. I know everyone hates the 4 inch granite. Someone in my neighborhood with exact same house did this. Does it really look that bad???
  • 9 years ago

    Yes, it looks that bad. The line of mosaic is especially busy and bad when combined with the 4"..

  • 9 years ago
    It's ok, I'm not crazy about that backsplash looks outdated to me.
  • 9 years ago

    I hope this is not your neighbor's house. If it is, I hope she is not reading this.

  • 9 years ago
    Personally, i really like your choice. And, the 4" edging can certainly stay. I kept mine and am very pleased with the results.
  • 9 years ago
    Well, I don't like the strip of brown tile through it, but if it was just the cream tiles i think it would look nice. I'm waiting to see what other neighbors did. I hope I get more examples.
  • 9 years ago
    Berekann, what choice are you talking about? The original one from post?
  • 9 years ago

    Sara, I was at a design center with a friend that was buying a new house. The house came with a 4" backsplash. She knew she eventually wanted a tile splash, but had gone over budget with upgrades. So, she asked the designer to just leave the 4" splash off. The designer said there was no reason to do that as the 4" splash was so easily removed.

    I think your neighbor's splash looks pretty good (except for the border stripe near the top). I think the base tile is a very good choice with the granite. But, I do think it would look an awful lot better had she removed the 4" splash.

    I had a border stripe at the bottom of my tile splash (similar to the one your neighbor has at the top). After several years, I really regretted that choice of getting a border. My base tile had a tile size that could just replace the border if my tile border was removed. I pondered that for several years. Finally, I got a tile guy to come out and remove and replace the border stripe and it was only $200. I'm so glad I did that. Anyway, your situation might be easier as tile needed to be chipped out in my situation. I bet you could remove your 4" strip very easily. I think you could do something like your neighbor did, but I bet in the long run, you'll be far happier if you remove it. It just might be something you could do in an hour.

  • 9 years ago

    As far as the more complicated windowsill area, I think you could just leave the granite in that area and remove the 4" splash to the left and right of that. I think that might look pretty nice.

  • 9 years ago

    Does it look so bad? No, if the year is 1997.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I totally understand your frustration, but believe you want the best look you can achieve. To let your new backsplash shine, the 4" splash needs to come out. As everyone mentioned before, you will get a much cleaner look taking the 4" backsplash off. The 4" splash was never intended to have a tile backsplash installed over it. I believe many homeowners, like you, are under the impression it can't be taken off and this is why you are still seeing examples of installs with the 4" granite splash. When you leave the 4" splash, then tile, it looks like an after thought. Sometimes it is helpful to take a step back and take time to process. Good luck!

  • 9 years ago
    Not a great photo, but this is my kitchen with white subway tile. I don't think white it a good color choice. I think the tile I posted initially is similar except it has a little character (with crackle appearance) and it matched better since it's a cream color. (Let's just assume I remove the granite)
  • 9 years ago
    Or here is a cream colored glass tile example that is not the crackle looking one
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago



    One decision begets another. That granite really needs a deeper warmer tone ceramic subway solid, or a non compete stone, and the splash removed. Glass and granite feel odd, the glass doesn't stand up to the "heavy" feel of the granite, it always looks best with light marble or a light quartz. . Why not just hire the neighbor and get a really lousy result? I mean seriously..............she's right next door live and in person!! : ) lol BrutalTruth is, the VERY BEST result with that granite is to run it ALL THE WAY up the splash. Failing that..........

    Try a sample, I beg. ( no grout necessary) several beige tones

    http://www.tile-stone-stores.com/brands/crossville-b-9/modern-mythology-griffin-t-794/?m=5992

  • 9 years ago

    If you were to remove the 4" splash, what about looking at a tile closer to what your neighbor did, but without the border stripe? I think an earthier neutral tile like that might be worth considering. I also like the darker glass tile from a day or two ago.

  • 9 years ago

    Sara, this is possibly going to be harsh. You said you have 300 responses in a FB group, clearly none of those made you happy. You have three posts here on houzz, with pretty consistent advice in all of them, and it seems none of that advice pleases you either.

    I don't think you are getting anyone to say what you want to hear. So, you need to just do whatever it is you want to do and give up on validation from the internet.


  • 9 years ago
    The 300 responses on Facebook were about other options. This glass tile is s different one I found. The only reason I mentioned the Facebook post was because no one brought up the 4 inches of granite that was already there. I never even thought about that before. I just thought it was interesting that everyone on here commented on it. Really the only opinion I'm
    Looking for is which backsplash looks best.
  • 9 years ago
    Someone in the Facebook group told me about this app. That's why I asked here :). But if I go by all the comment I got on there then this is what was recommended
  • 9 years ago
    Pick a dark glass tile with some lighter accent tiles, just not too many.