Software
Houzz Logo Print
unruli

Need backsplash ideas for BRIGHTLY colored room!

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We're trying to decide if we want the entire wall covered or just a short backsplash that behind the stove extends up to the hood. Maybe a ledge 8"-12" above the counter? I will be hanging art in the large, open areas on either side of the stove. The backsplash choice will determine the size & complexity of the art.

There will NOT be cabinets above and the outlets need to come down in height (I feel like they're hovering in the middle of the wall). If a ledge is added we may put outlet strips under the ledge. There is TONS of counter space in this kitchen (the island is 9' long) so reducing the counter depth a little shouldn't be an issue if we do add a ledge of some sort.

This kitchen is open to the living room and with the exception of the pantry wall, all of the walls are green.

The ugly white outlets, switches & return grates will be changed. We're waiting to see what we do in the rest of the room first. The green in this next photo is probably the most accurate.

The sofas are actually teal (looks a little more turquoise in the photo than it is). I'm considering a bright orange-red, or orangey-yellow as an accent color. (The computer is downstairs now. It was only upstairs while we were drywalling the basement). We'll choose a rug and coffee table when we get rhe backsplash figured out. Not sure I like the stools, but they're fine for temporary.

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi unruli, LOVE your space. Do a back splash that's 3" higher than the top of your outlets and run the tile behind the range 6" wider on each side of the range and all the way to the ceiling. I like the idea of the floating shelf just above the back splash. Best of luck on your exciting project. Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture

    unruli thanked Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    How fun is this place :) I kind of feel in this case it's all or nothing. Entire wall. Glass tile- larger than subway comes to mind. Clean and simple. Good luck!

    unruli thanked Color Zen
  • 9 years ago

    I would put ONE long shelf across the entire width for a few items. Maybe wood tones to repeat the floor color. A small trimmed edge to hide plugs. Great art above and propped on the ledge. And below for the back splash, clear glass panels so the green shows.

    unruli thanked gustaviatex
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    something similar, but they have shelves. I think you should do a couple just to break up that long wall. You could do a back painted glass in any color and use that for the entire wall.

    Tile all the way up to the ceiling:

    SUMMERLIN KITCHEN REMODEL · More Info

    do a SS piece behind the stove:

    Dandelion House by Jennifer Ott Design · More Info

    this one looks like they have a 6" backsplash that matches the counter. You could do this and still have your bright wall. although I would still put in a shelf.

    Vanillawood · More Info

    unruli thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago

    Any ledge or shelf will not be higher than the current height of the back of the stove (the outlets will be moved down.....they were put in MUCH too high by the contractor). I'm hoping to put up a rather large painting on either side of the stove to break up the space. I haven't found anything similar to what I'm thinking of for the "ledges" online.

    I don't cook at all. I've been banned from the kitchen (for good reason) except to do dishes. However, my husband cooks all the time (it's one of his hobbies). A backsplash for the stove will be absolutely necessary.

    Unfortunately, a flat top is not possible for several years (too many more important things to deal with right now), but I'm hoping to plan the backsplash with the potential for one in the future.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    IMO you pick the art and then the backsplash these 2 pictures drove the tile choice for the wall across from them and my clients love it all

    unruli thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago

    LOVE your use of color...Joybird was created for people like you...and me...if I can talk my husband into it.

    unruli thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    What do you think about the tile in this kitchen?

    unruli thanked Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That's pretty Esmaili!!

    @ Patricia Colwell - fortunately, as an artist I have an advantage......I can create art to suit the space. In fact, it's easier for me to do that than it is to find materials we an afford after choosing the art to go in a location. There are so few walls available to place art in this home (small home with maximized storage, no hallways and large windows to take in the beautiful views) that I'm looking forward to making use of this space for art. I also love that you painted the trim in that kitchen the same as the walls. That's exactly what I did with the entire house.....love it!!

    @chiflipper - we were so worried about purchasing a sofa from across the country, but we're so glad we did! The Joybird quality is fantastic! We ordered a sofa and a bench from them, but opted to order the chair elsewhere......big mistake. The chair was SO disappointing! We'll order a replacement chair from Joybird as soon as we get a few other things taken care of in the room first. I say......GO FOR IT!!

    @Beth H - The second photo you posted was one I saved long ago and it greatly influenced many of my choices for our kitchen. It was one I used to show my husband what the cabinets I had in mind might look like and what I used to convince him that we should use a vibrant green. In fact, I LOVED the green of that kitchen, but he doesn't like real yellowed greens so I had to compromise with something containing a bit more blue for him. He hated it until the room was all put together...now he loves it!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    How about back painted glass in a color you both can agree on and I would do that whole wall maybe the color of the sofa

  • 9 years ago
    I wouldn't do a backsplash at all. A good quality wall paint is washable. We use it that way, a cloth with soapy water washes away all the grease.
  • 9 years ago
    I love the idea of a low ledge along the length of the counter with the backsplash and plug-ins below. I would carry the backsplash to the ceiling over the stove. I love all your color choices. We live in a colorful space filled with art too. Please post some pictures once you are done and have hung your art!