Software
Houzz Logo Print
westsider40

a double oven with a broiler that doesn't smoke or flame?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I love everything about my Bosch 800 double oven, 5 years old, except it flames and smokes when I broil in it. It has a fast preheat, about 6-8 minutes and that is important to me. Mostly I broil outside on our old Weber gas grill but the new ovens will be for our new to us Arizona house. And the built in gas grill is quite away from the kitchen. There is a gas connection close to the kitchen but I dont want to buy a new gas grill since we already have a perfectly good one. Are there any modern double ovens which broil safely and have fast preheat?

Comments (8)

  • 9 years ago

    You realize that it is not the oven that is smoking or flaming, right? It is the food you are cooking, and it sounds like you are broiling meat -- probably beef or soething else with some sinificant fat. The fat is generally what liquifies, splatters and causes the smoking, sparking and flames. As mentioned above, trimming excess fat and making sure you are using a broiling pan or rack that allows fat and juices to drip below will help. You may need to drop your oven rack one position below the top, depending on the pan and the food.

    westsider40 thanked lascatx
  • 9 years ago

    Good points and thanks. Yes, last nite I broiled two pub burgers, probably 85-92 percent fat but with shreds of cheese intermixed. They are preformed burgers bought from a fancy pants store. I do trim steaks very well and I even cut off meat in my efforts to trim fat. And we are fat conscious as a family. I will move the rack down but I dont use a broiling pan and probably should. I put foil on an old cookie sheet and toss the used foil so cleanup is easier that way. I am all about easy cleanup and was hoping I could circumvent the flaming. My old, gone, double oven, 1960, broiled beautifully all the time.

  • 9 years ago

    You mean 8-15% fat I hope? Plus the cheese?

    So, what I think you're saying is the the Bosch broiler is so gonzo you're burning the fat? I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but have you tried turning down the temperature? Some electric broilers heat up to 650° F or more on high. Beef fat smokes at 400-420° F, depending on whose chart you believe. I generally broil small pieces of meat, like the burgers you're talking about, at 375-380° F. That's for nice caramelization and grill lines but not charred to dry and crunchy.

    westsider40 thanked plllog
  • 9 years ago

    I think you should try using a boiler pan. Putting a little water in the bottom of the pan also prevents flare-ups and makes for easier clean-up. Heavy weight porcelain is best for not warping and easier clean -up. The Range Kleen pans on Amazon are good. Stay away from cheap non stick pans. They just end up gunking up. Stainless cleans up well but things tend to stick more.

    westsider40 thanked wildchild2x2
  • 9 years ago

    Stainless will release meat when it is ready to turn.

    Do use a broiling pan. Your oven probably came with one - go find it and try it. Your foil just collects the fat right there under and around the meat, close to the broiler element do that it can pop, smoke and even flame up on you.

    Yes, your newer oven is likely to have options for either different broiling temps or settings that you likely didn't have in an older oven. Use the right tools and check out the options they give you.

    Now, I grew up here in Texas and we can grill most of the year -- so we grill burgers and steaks. If that's not an option for some reason, I pan sear or pan fry. I think you get a better sear and carmelization = better flavor. I started back when I was single and I didn't want meat fat smoking if I went to bake and I didn't want to have to clean my entire oven just to cook meat for one. I read a cooking magazine article about pan frying way back then - so the only meat cooked in my oven is roasted. You could try that. Use cast iron if you have it or stainless. Never a coated nonstick.

    westsider40 thanked lascatx
  • 9 years ago

    Ok, my wise gardenweb pals, you have convinced me to change my lazy butt ways. I will find or buy a broiler pan . Water in the pan. Trim like crazy. Move the rack. Scrub the pan. And thanks a lot. I will assume there is no double oven of my heart. Sob.

  • 9 years ago

    You could get a grill....

    westsider40 thanked lascatx
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio