Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_6506666

Front yard HELP

There was a Bradford (?) Pear tree with a root system from He! In the center but it dropped inedible fruit looking bombs that were dangerous and stained everything. As we cut it down and out I ended up tearing out the whole yard because of roots everywhere. I would pull a root and follow it and it branched off multiple times! I even have a tree growing behind the Sego palm YOU see in pic. So now I need a DROUGHT TOLERANT front yard for Antelope, CA which is just outside of Sacramento. We'll probably sell in a year or so so I need curb appeal too. I want to do some type of retaining wall and then a path from sidewalk to where my path bends leading to front door. That's the extent of my ideas. And FYI I grow killer weeds and am having luck with Lantana. Anything else I pretty much kill. Anything alive you might see i.e. sego, I didn't plant.

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago

    Sadly the Sago needs to go. It's poky and massive and too close to the walkway.

    Too bad the pear didn't work out. Bradford pear may drop fruit and get fireblight but the fall color is outstanding, it's a good size for a small garden and flowers are pretty. Most any plant isn't perfect, need pruning, drop leaves, attract bees and/or hate getting stepped on and such. Any plants you do love? Walk around your neighborhood and take closeups of plants you like that are growing where there isn't much water. Either ask what it is or go to the nursery and find out what it is. Best to see the plants actually growing as usually either plants look horrible in nursery pots and grow to be perfect in a few years or they look great in nursery pots and grow huge and horrible in a few years.


  • 9 years ago

    Get rid of the Sago. It will only get bigger and more spikey. If it was to the side of your yard, you might could manage but not right there on the walkway. 10 reasons not to plant a Sago Palm

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think I would go for a pebbled zero scape yard with some desert plantings.... that is awful!

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you all for your input! And please if you come up with other ideas I basically have a clean slate and can do whatever BUT of course budget friendly (which would also be appreciated advice!) we have a state rebate that ends in Dec for up to $2,000 if approved. Love Calidesigns pics and plant ideas!!
    ???? Another question:
    Should I decide on doing a retaining wall should I go up part/all of the one side of driveway stopping at the path obviously or just from hedges to driveway along sidewalk with an opening for stone path I mentioned originally? Visitors park on the street because our driveway is very STEEP so it is difficult parking in the driveway and even walking up from street.
  • 9 years ago

    Does the house face south?

  • 9 years ago
    Yes it does face south.
  • 9 years ago

    Consider planting Chilopsis Linearis, Desert Willow. You will need a tree due to the southern exposure.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Well done for removing the Bradford Pear
    tree, that sounds like a tough job. Now you have a clean slate to create an
    inexpensive, drought-tolerant garden with plenty of curb appeal.

    • I agree with other comments, remove the Sego and the other tree
      behind it
    • Build the retaining wall from the hedges, along sidewalk to the
      driveway (with a gap for the path). Keep the retaining wall low. Preferably
      use a light-colored local stone.
    • For the path from the sidewalk to the house, lay an attractive
      natural-looking paver or local stone in a pale color. If you have the
      budget, replace the existing concrete path with the same material. Use
      paver restraint edging to keep the pavers in place.
    • Now for the garden. First do a soil analysis test to determine
      your soil type - this will help you choose the correct plants that will
      thrive. Soil testing kits are available at garden centers or Sacramento Cornell
      Cooperative Extension can help you. Second, you need to know your climate
      zone, I checked and Antelope, CA is USDA climate Zone 9b.
    • Choose native (indigenous to your area) plants, trees or shrubs
      appropriate for your soil and zone. Native plants are adapted to your
      climate and require less water/fertilizer. They are more resistant to pest
      and diseases and suppress weeds. Finally,
      they provide habitat for butterflies, insects and birds. Visit the California Native Plant Society's site, lots of great advice and plant lists here.

    Picture credit: CA Native Plant Society

    Picture credit: CA Native Plant Society

    • To retain moisture in your garden, add a layer of mulch such as
      gravel, stones and rocks. You mention your yard is very steep, so water
      may be wasted, draining away down the slope. Incorporate a water retention
      feature such as a 'dry stream bed' or 'rain garden'. On the left, by the
      hedges, install unobtrusive aluminum lawn edging, it will keep the stone
      mulch in place and give a nice, neat edge.

    Picture credit: CA Native Plant Society

    Place a couple of pretty ceramic planters
    filled with colorful flowers by the front door and you're all set. Please post
    an 'after' picture I'd like to see the changes!

  • 9 years ago

    Hey Jacqui, thought you may find this article by Bruce Parker interesting, it's about gardening with drought tolerant plants. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-unthirsty-plants-help-you-save-water-in-style-stsetivw-vs~3000397

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Eagle Rock · More Info

    Newbury Park · More Info


    For pebbles I do them in only certain areas not the whole landscape. Because in a few years the rain and soil subsidence cause the pebbles to look like a mess of weeds, pebbles, and gravel..Borders of gravel are fine tho.

    You can look through both Highland Park and Newbury park projects on my page. Most of the groundcover/plants should work for your area as well.

    Also for the weeds. I would wait to redo till they get green and start to grow with rain in January because then you can apply weed killer and the weeds will take it down to the roots. If you pull weeds now they will probably just come back because it's hard to get them all the way to the roots.

    Good luck