Software
Houzz Logo Print
pblodgett

I Painted My Dining Room BM Winter Lake, Now What?

9 years ago
My dining room is ready for ideas. I realize the furniture styles don't match. Can it work? What should I keep? Sell? I need suggestions for window treatments and accessories. The adjoining foyer and rest of the house is painted BM Hampshire Taupe. Thank you for your advice!

Comments (22)

  • 9 years ago
    Do you like the furniture and what is your style?
    pblodgett thanked gtcircus
  • 9 years ago

    I love the color, but it seems too cool (in tone, not popularity) for your furniture. What style are you going for in this room?

    pblodgett thanked Emily Jowers
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some ideas
    pblodgett thanked gtcircus
  • 9 years ago
    More ideas based on your furniture
    pblodgett thanked gtcircus
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the wall color, too, but you might want to go with a bolder, bigger painting with a third color in it--something like this:

    "It Must Be Love" Original Artwork By Kr Moehr · More Info

    --If you're crafty, then pick up an accent color from your painting and back the china cabinet with wallpaper in that color. (Skip the animal trophies--yikes!) Remove all items from the top of your china cabinet.

    Colorful Ranch · More Info

    --Change out the buffet lamp shades to straight white shades:

    Laton Brass Buffet Lamp · More Info

    pblodgett thanked housegal200
  • 9 years ago

    I would replace chairs with fabric chairs, keep table, keep buffet, get rid of China hutch and add fabric Roman shades or bamboo shades.

    pblodgett thanked smm5525
  • 9 years ago

    I'd love toile curtains for this room. I love the wall color, so elegant.

    Keep the Hepplewhite pieces.

    pblodgett thanked emmarene9
  • 9 years ago
    Love the color, and the furniture is fine!
    pblodgett thanked km kane
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Very nice start to a dining room! An area rug would help warm it up and add color and pattern. Then curtains panels on the windows with natural woven wood shades. I also love the toile fabric that emmarene posted! The chairs don't seem to work with the rest of the furniture--maybe sell them and purchase upholstered chairs?

    pblodgett thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Rug first before window treatments

    pblodgett thanked jck910
  • 9 years ago

    I would start by replacing the table and chairs with one that matches the traditional style of the other furniture. I also love the look of an upholstered "host and hostess chair" at each end. You have room and this anchors things since there are lots of "legs" showing! Then regular side chairs for the rest of the table. If you have more than six who will be seated during holiday times, etc., I urge you to look for tables that can expand with leaves. Also, I love the color and would pay close attention to putting something wonderful above the piece with buffet lamps. This is what people will see when entering your home as this room is near the front door. Make sure your chandelier is on a dimmer also! I think window coverings need to be coordinated in all front rooms of a home, so depending on what you have in other front-facing rooms, I would narrow the choices.

    pblodgett thanked kystone
  • 9 years ago
    The rest of my house is pretty traditional so I will look for a used table and chairs in a more traditional style. I love the rug and curtain suggestions, and some of the art that isn't too traditional. I feel like my style is clean, not fussy, traditional leaning toward transitional. For example, I recently put cream subway tile in my kitchen which has medium cherry cabinets and subtle pink beige Corian countertops with a cream edge. I am trying to update my 18 year old home, as I can't afford to make big changes, nor do I want to. Keep the ideas coming!
  • 9 years ago

    I don't think you need to replace your dining set. Those toile drapes, a bolder piece of art, and new buffet lamp shades would do it for now. Then perhaps one of the gorgeous rugs people have suggested might looks stunning, along with "host and hostess" covers for the chairs would take it to an additional level.

    pblodgett thanked housegal200
  • 9 years ago

    The only piece that seems out of place to me is the chandelier. The chrome of it seems like a mismatch, and not in a good contrasting sort of way. I would also get some art that isn't so big box store in look, which you can actually get at big box stores (Urban Outfitters has a surprisingly GREAT selection of reasonably priced art), and with other colors not just blue. Art in a home should be personal, in my opinion, and have a more collected look, which means that it probably should not matchy match the wall color.

    I personally loathe carpets under dining tables. Food falls, onto a rug, YUCK. Harder to clean.

    pblodgett thanked Amanda DRo
  • 9 years ago

    The chandelier is actually a shiny brass. Thanks for the ideas about where to look for art!

  • 9 years ago

    I don't know what made me check out at Urban Outfitters (online only, not in the stores), because like I said, I do try to have art that is meaningful or at least, actually handmade. I get things on Etsy a lot for this reason and am a huge fan of street art when on vacations, or really anywhere. But as a result, I have tons of smaller pieces (that fit in suitcases) to create montages, but I need some pieces that can go on a wall alone. I've pilfered grandparents homes, parents homes and I still need 4 pieces minimum (we recently moved, and while the house is not much larger, there just is more black wall space).

    What I realized is that I have no photographs, and Urban Outfitters has a nice selection with the options to have them framed. And they had enough interest and actually do appeal to me, make me smile, and so on. Hope you find something!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Lovely wall color in dining room. You need rug and drapes

    Franklin · More Info

    pblodgett thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Keystone Dining Rooms · More Info

    pblodgett thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    How about trying some curtains like in one of our designs below to start with? Then adding a nice rug, and some end chairs for good measure.

    Lovely Georgia Home · More Info

    Riverland Court · More Info

    Riverland Court · More Info

    pblodgett thanked VRA Interiors, LLC
  • 8 years ago

    Natural woven blinds are inexpensive and would look great with your wall color as well as add texture. Later as budget allows add a pattern curtain like the great toile someone posted above. It had brown and blue in it that warmed it up and pulled everything together. It's actually a blue with warm undertones so the gold and warm metals work. I agree with the upholstered chair idea and keeping the vintage pieces. You can find a transitional chandelier that will keep the clean look you like. For now you could purchase a large natural fiber rug that will accommodate the chairs and table on it. Love the wall color!