Software
Houzz Logo Print
priyadee

Ceiling fan or chandelier in two story living room

9 years ago

I know chandelier adds lot of elegance to any living room. Mine is a two story living room but live in Texas. So have a dilemma whether to choose ceiling fan or chandelier. Please post your comments and also vote. Thanks for your time


Ceiling fan
Chandelier

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, chandelier is more elegant over a ceiling fan. You need to consider how you use your room. I have a 2-story family which is our most used room. Our ceiling fan makes it a much more enjoyable room to be in when the weather gets hot.

    Dany Duke thanked pilatesmom3
  • 9 years ago

    I have a two story family room and it's fine without the fan. I don't like fans to begin with, so I may be biased, but I don't see the need for one. For now, we only have recess lights and floor lamps. A chandelier is in the plans, but it just didn't happen yet:)

    Dany Duke thanked printesa
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all for your valuable comments. As pilatesmom3 mentioned, living room is important or most used space and texas is hot. So if go with ceiling fan, is it possible to change the 4 can lights at four corners around the ceiling fan into four little chandliers. is it a good idea or horrible one? please comment.

  • 9 years ago

    Whichever you chose be sure to make it reachable for cleaning. Nothing is more unattractive in a well designed room than a ceiling fan caked in old dust.

    I vote ceiling fan though. I live in a hot climate also , here they are essential to comfort most of the year. When choosing one consider the size of the room in order to make sure your fan is large enough. Measure for height, if it is too high it won't do anything to cool the room.

    If you want further advice as to how lighting would look in the room I suggest you post some photos of your room on design dilemmas. Post the photos and explain what you are planning along with the area of the country you live in and any questions you would like answered. You'll get more responses there than on polls.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I have a large chandelier in the entry.... but I chose a bigass fan- paddle fan that hangs down about 7-8' from the ceiling over the living area.... so that we have air movement... *it has a light also.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A two story living will look too beautiful with a chandelier, to compromise on a ceiling fan.

    You can have a long multi pendant chandelier that will go all the way down and spread the light to all the heights levels, and! will make a statement in the space.

    In Galilee lighting we make unique pendant lighting in beautiful styles, available in different sizes and can be designed in any length.

    I invite you to visit www.GalileeLighting.com

    To receive our catalog by email, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com

    Call us today 305-807-8711

    We deliver worldwide.

    EXTRA LONG CUSTOM PENDANT LIGHTING FOR HIGH CEILING, CANDLES by GALILEE LIGHTING · More Info


    LIGHTING HIGH CEILING ENTRY · More Info

    CONTEMPORARY ENTRY CHANDELIER, MODERN ENTRY PENDANT LIGHTING, WHITE CANDLES by G · More Info

    EXTRA LONG MODERN PENDANT LIGHTING FOR HIGH CEILING FOYER, PEARL SHELL by GALILE · More Info


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    And some fro our hand blown glass collection...


    SNOW LIGHT - BLOWN GLASS CHANDELIER TWO STORY SPACE · More Info

    BUBBLE CHANDELIER · More Info

    REEF - FROSTED MILK BLOWN GLASS PENDANT LIGHTING · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    I live in Ohio, and I prefer ceiling fans still, probably because I used to live in TX. But I do agree, you can do many wonderful things with lights.

    We decided to put a ceiling fan with a down light in our new home. What size down rod should I use for a 20 ft ceiling (21x18 room)?


  • 6 years ago

    I would install and attractive, easily cleaned ceiling fan in the living room. Perhaps install a chandelier that fits the style of the house over the dining table.

  • 3 years ago

    No one has replied to my question. I’ll try again. In a normal sized living room with a 22’ high ceiling, how high should a ceiling fan be? Is 18’ TOO HIGH? I am not looking for opinions about chandeliers.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    A chandelier always looks better but if you need the circulation look at lamps plus for a nice looking one. https://www.lampsplus.com/products/52-inch-casa-delta-wing-bronze-damp-outdoor-led-ceiling-fan-with-remote__9c710.html

  • 3 years ago

    @Vicki Skywark the reason no one replied to your question is probably because you technically posted your question as an answer on @Dany Duke's post, so the answers were addressing the original post.

    To answer your question, I have a ceiling fan in my two-story living room that hangs at least 4-5 ft from the ceiling and about 12' from the floor below. Whether or not yours is too high or not can probably be solved if it's working to cool the space below adequately or not.

    Hope that helps.


  • 3 years ago

    @Amanda M That does explain it, thanks! The fan does not cool the room, most likely because it’s so high and is set for winter use (clockwise?); we have no way to reverse it or change speeds. I’m planning to get a new one with a remote control and will use your suggested 12’ from the floor as a guideline. Thank you for taking time to reply with a helpful explanation.