Software
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

Anyone here an Airbnb Host?

9 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm not sure if this is exactly a fit for this forum, but I've gotten great advice here, so hopefully this is okay.

I've been considering becoming an Airbnb host. And was wondering if anyone is one, was one, or has thought about being one?

What is attractive about it to me, I travel for work over 50% of the time, add to that travel for pleasure, well my house is empty a lot. I live in a very desirable area, for tourists or just locals who may want a week at the beach. Additionally my home has it's own appeal because it is a 100 year old Craftsman, which is uncommon in this metro area outside of a few pockets, like where I live. I'm thinking potentially my empty home could generate a fair amount of income.

But, I have big concerns as well. Mostly, I've put a lot of time, money and thought into my home, and for it to be carelessly damaged would upset me. I would put a few thing away of value, mostly souvenirs from travel that are irreplaceable due to the memories vs. their cost. But I wouldn't be able to clear out my closets, or toiletries, or fridge (condiments etc., not moldering food obviously) or lock up my liquor cabinet, put away the wine rack. My home is small, and there just isn't the space to put things away from any potential guests. This would cause two problems, have people be able to go through my stuff, and not give them the space to put their stuff. It could also make people feel awkward that they are intruding, and not having a hotel like experience.

Additionally I'm set up well for having guests bring their dog with them. I have a secure yard, doggy door, etc. Also my city is known to be extremely dog friendly. So that would be an attractive feature, allowing me to charge more. But the likelihood of damage seems to increase significantly as well!

Insights, experience, advice or opinions, all welcome!

Comments (6)

  • 9 years ago

    Put this over on the Home Deco Conversation side for even more responses.

    aimeekm thanked eld6161
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks eld ... I cross posted to the decorations side ....


    Gail, thanks for weighing in

    I've only done a couple of Airbnb's, but I did quite a few VRBO's in the past. Most were clearly just rental units, one that was owner occupied was too crammed and didn't seem super clean. so that was a turn off. I agree, I should definitely put the fact it is my home I live in, in the listing, because some people will not want that. I can make some closet space in the spare bedroom, where just my coats live. Locking my closet might not be possible, because it is a bi-fold door, I'll ask my handyman. The wine rack I can fill with stuff I'm fine with them drinking, and hide any "good stuff" away, same with anything in the fridge or pantry, they would be welcome to it. Liquor cabinets, I guess, I'd just have to accept the risk. I have way too much to move in and out all the time, and it's mostly in a buffet, so any locks would be unsightly. Toiletries, good point, I can put away any of the more personal stuff, but leave things I wouldn't care about like hairspray.

    I'm curious about the other Airbnb's in my area, the housing prices are high here, so I don't think just having them be rentals would be feasible, I would assume they are owner occupied, but the listings don't specify.


    A reliable cleaner is an important thing. My housekeeper I found on Nextdoor, and I think it would work out with her. She lives just around the corner and has been super flexible with her schedule. I feel like if I made it worth her while, she would be willing to be sort of on call. She could also help me monitor for damage or missing items. Do you have Nextdoor in your area?



  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Gail, yeah, that looks like would work!

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry not an airbnb host, however the last time I stayed at an airbnb it was owner/occupied. She said she was very selective about her guests and often turned down reservations, she had to approve me and DH before my reservation was confirmed. We had several back and forth conversations and I am pretty sure she reviewed our professional linkedin profiles, Facebook, etc. (yes I think she asked to temporarily friend me on Facebook.) I would not have been surprised if she had a subscription to one of those websites that do quick background checks.

    At first I thought it was a really weird and excessive, however since I had screwed up our hotel reservations and anything else would have been an hour drive from the conference we needed to attend I went along with it. We were "approved" and had a great stay in her very lovely home.

    BTW, as a guest for any stay more than 1 night, I would expect some hanging space in the bedroom Even if it were a free standing rack. Not for me but for DH dress shirts and slacks.. even when on vacation sometimes you need more than a golf shirt for a dinner out.

    aimeekm thanked Sunnysmom
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio