Software
Houzz Logo Print
ehollabaugh

HOW the &@ do you accessorize!!!!

9 years ago
The entertainment center will eventually be painted white or light gray. How do I elegantly use or don't use the accessories I have? The shelves are adjustable and I can add more too. The colors of the room are navy, greens, grays and whites.

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago

    Odd numbers & varying heights work well. Lots of examples on this site look at photos for ideas

  • 9 years ago

    Very nice piece! Start with your favorite piece and build around it. Do you have any books? A favorite photo?

    The candle hurricanes are nice. I like the Vino sign (surprised?). I love displaying a favorite vase or sculpture.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Your room has a great foundation and you just need to finish the look with accessories. I would put the tray with the bottles above the tv, the sculpture on the top left corner, and move the VINO to the top with an variety of sizes of bottles and color. You also need pictures of family and a little greenery. I would love to see a window treatment and pillows on the sofa. I would also like to see a sofa table behind the sofa with 2 lamps. I don't know where you are located, but am happy to help. Call me at 410-882-8830

  • 9 years ago
    So I put 3 vases in the white and gray basket. To do more of an odd number. I originally had a basket on the very top but my husband hates anything on top :(

    I don't know how the shelf looks above the tv? Seems like a basket and the green plant would go well there. Probably don't want something too distracting right above the tv.
  • 9 years ago
    Also I totally agree on the hard cover books... Maybe 3 or 4 will be added to one of the shelves.
  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't paint this unit, it is lovely as is.

    I have a very similar unit at home. I have a combination of books (hardback) and personal items I collect on the shelves - some china plates on one side, some Toby mugs on the other, a favorite clock (floating face '50s era), etc. On the shelf above the TV, just a couple of things so as to fill the space but not, as you mentioned, be too distracting.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Step 1 : Books and Trays. You desperately need books.

    Step 2: Artwork and Photos. This can be as simple as a decorative card, a b&w photo of family, pets, vacation, diy painting on canvas, a lovely piece picked up at the flea market, gallery, etc.

    Step 3: Everything else


    Best source for this is Emily Henderson blog. She has this down.


    Chattanooga Designer Show House 2016 · More Info


  • 9 years ago
    Groveraxle is spot on!
  • 9 years ago
    Can anyone comment on what I have above the tv right now - is it good or can it be improved?
  • 9 years ago

    The shelf above the TV is pretty meh. There isn't much contrast, and those three plaques all lined up are very static.


    I'll bet, if you shop your house, you can find some more interesting stuff. And if not, then keep your eye out for art and sculpture that really floats your boat.

  • 9 years ago

    Books are needed. What you have is pretty bland.

  • 9 years ago

    I actually love the color as is (but grey will look great, too!). I agree with adding some books.... I like the vino sign and what you have already - maybe a few more candles? Looks like a pretty project!!

  • 9 years ago

    White looks really good against the wood, so add some more of that, some books, some objects with a bit more interest.


  • 9 years ago
    Sharing picture of mine because it reminds me of yours. My decor items all have personal significance, i.e. not bought just to fill the space. But thought might give you ideas.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you’re looking for a way to stand out from the crowd and to make your entertainment center really pop, here are some items that can help yours feel fresh.

    A good green plant

    Plants may not seem like much, but they’re actually a great complement to any shelf. A small vase with good small-medium sized plant gives your entertainment center some variety in color. In addition, the air-filtering and oxygen-creating processes of plants fill your living room with clean breathable air for you and your guests.

    LED lights

    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    Few accessories scream, “Look at me!” more than lights. LED lights allow you to feature any items of your choosing while making the entire unit resonate with a shine that just can’t be described in words. WeMo lighting bulbs are a good choice, as they can be controlled via tablets/smartphones and can change colors.

    Decorative letters

    Our minds are programmed to immediately look at words when everything surrounding them is empty. Add decorative letters to create many different focal points to draw the eyes of family or guests toward. They’ll subconsciously be admiring the unit each and every time they read the words. For instance, putting words like “Love” and “Inspire” on the left and right side respectfully will sure to have people’s eyes glance over at them from time to time.

    Certificates/Awards

    Accolades are excellent conversation starters and perfect items to display around a television because they spark people’s curiosity. It’s almost instinctive to ponder what the accolade was for and what the owner did to receive it. For certificates, a nice simple black frame works perfectly, and some can even be used to display medals.

    Antiques

    Displaying bits and pieces of the past gives your entertainment center a beauty that you just can’t get by displaying modern items. Maybe it’s an old record player, radio, or even a camera. There’s just that indescribable sense of appreciation you get when you see an old knickknack.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with groveraxle.....You should decorate/accessorize with things that have meaning. Instead of shopping retail, look at second hand and antique shops. We have a lot of books in our house, but I've placed other items amongst them. Sweetgrass basket from my hometown in SC, a piece of blue/white porcelain (I have a collection); the clock was a wedding gift and my son found the large piece of quartz. You can't see it well, but I lined the back of our bookcases with decorative paper as well. Oh, a small lamp looks nice on shelving too.




  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here you can see one of our designs, and the accessories in the shelves. Perhaps this will help with you question?

    Chaplin Crescent Estates · More Info

    Chaplin Crescent Estates · More Info

    Chaplin Crescent Estates · More Info