Software
Houzz Logo Print
fred_mei

help with gable and exterior design

9 years ago
We are remodeling our colonial home and having a hard time figuring out a exterior design. To save cost, we were planning on using the same siding as our old construction (Certainteed mainstreet Desert Tan) but second guessing since we're not a huge fan of the color. We want to add new white trim between the first and second floor for contrast but don't know how to design the gable ends. A couple recommendations (pics below) were to just do a horizontal band, or, add a vertical piece then paint the interior triangles the same color as our brick paint (we are painting the brick)

Thoughts on shutter colors, deleting them all together, etc.

Please give us some ideas! We are stuck and in a bind.

Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago
    When I Google the shutter color, I believe they're called classic blue. I'm not sure following what you're talking about the roof? It is charcoal grey/black.

    We are ready for a change! Do you recommend against doing the whole gable in pvc trim?
  • 9 years ago

    Shingle look siding in the gables was my recommendation - yes, not all trim.

    Fred Mei thanked libradesigneye
  • 9 years ago

    No shutters please.

  • 9 years ago

    oh now i see what you mean by color is picked up in the roof compared to the shutters! I believe that was the reflection of the sky made the charcoal look bluer than what it actually is.

    My contractor says it is difficult to put a band under the 2nd floor gutters between the windows and soffits without rebuilding the current vinyl soffits. Would it look right if I just stuck with the fascia white pvc band between the floors?

    I haven't been able to find any examples of side gables with the shingle look up top and siding below... only ones when its on the front of the house. For the portico, I was thinking all white trim inside the gable because of how little space above the fascia board there will be.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Less is more. The fewer changes in colors and textures the more cohesive your house will be. So just do siding on the peaks, and keep the look clean. The house is traditional so stay true to that. Then when finished spend some money on updating your yard to make your curb appeal really stunning!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Can i assume you have checked out your chimney? It has a lot of soot on bricks. Don't want fire after all your hard work!
  • 9 years ago

    checked it out. I think the cap and chimney work was done after all the soot.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is a good thing. Good.

    Fred Mei thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    I'm deciding between 2 options.
    1) increase window casing size to 3.5" from current 2 1/4", remove shutters, and install trim across house waist between brick and siding and gable. Install siding the same color as house and paint the brick to a light tan. White garage door

    2) increase window casing size to 3.5 from current 2 1/4", remove shutters, and install trim across house waist between brick and siding and gable. White garage door
    Replace all siding to a charcoal/gray color, keep dark brown/red brick unpainted.

    Really the difference is current siding + light tan painted brick or gray siding + leave brick alone. I think option 1 will ultimately be the cheaper option once I get the quotes.

  • 9 years ago

    Opt. 1 (if the color is well chosen for the brick) will be more economical . . but also has the promise of increase the curb appeal of your home as the colonial cladding combination will have been unified color wise, making the house look taller. Charcoal is popular now, but may fade. One caveat - if you are in a heavy freeze thaw cycle climate, ask your painter to have SW or BM formulate a water based masonry stain of the tan color you select. It will not clog the pores of your brick and ultimately will perform thermally as your brick does today.