Software
Houzz Logo Print
docdawn2000

I'm getting ready to think about my giant wall that needs 'something' help!

13 years ago
Front wall oft log home-- I need window covering and wall decor ideas please

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful windows and view which I wouldn't cover unless utility bills get out of hand. If you need insulating qualities, there is room on the lower windows to allow for a stack back of drapery to open the view completely. Animal mounts are a great way to get a certain outdoorsy look. Our cabin has custom framed collections of arrow heads as decor. Also check with local Game and Fish office where they used to have free wildlife posters that frame up nicely. Not knowing your style, those are my log cabin ideas. A great chandelier would look good in your vaulted space. You can go classy too. I've seen cabins decked out like European palaces.
    Chronacher fireplace · More Info
    Living Room Fireplace · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    what a dramatic entrance ! I am more concerned about what is happening in this space. Does one comes directly into the main living area ?
  • 13 years ago
    I would not be inclined to cover any of the windows with any sort of window covering.
    It looks like there are some areas of the wood that have stains of some sort...or is it just the way the picture looks?
  • 13 years ago
    It's a beautiful cabin. If it's on a lake, than you may want to incorporate some type of nautical theme. I'm thinking you could use something above the door under the second row bank of windows like an old oar, or something I want to try, take an old dilapidated canoe and cutting in half lengthwise and mounting a "half hull".

    You could put curtains on the lowest level so would be burglars can't take an easy inventory but please leave those top two rows uncovered. They're beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    The cabin ceiling is not finished, so I assume it is still being built, what will you do up there ? Is this your principal property or a cottage, what is your favorite style ? traditional or modern ? we need more info , please elaborate on your lifestyle a bit , then we can do a better job in helping you, thanks .
  • 13 years ago
    Are you planning to hang a chandelier in your entry? That would be my first recommendation. That's going to need a very long chain since you'll want the light positioned no lower than the top of the doors and no higher than the first windows over the doorway. These are examples of large chandeliers in wrought iron. I would not cover the windows. They are they art for that wall. I love the terraced effect on the ceiling.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Please tell us more about your needs for the window coverings. Privacy? Insulation? Sun glare?
    Fabulous looking room!
  • 13 years ago
    I would not cover the windows........can you put heating under the floor
  • 13 years ago
    Did you post this just to make all of us jealous? Ha ha ha! Seriously, this looks to be a beautiful home in the making.

    How will the ceiling be treated to cover up the insulation? How tall are these ceilings? What words would you use to describe your style? What will the room be used for? I see there's a deck off of this space, too. What kind of light do you get here and at what times?

    The windows have such lovely details that I would hesitate to put any coverings on them. Your furniture will dictate the style if you do need some lower window coverings (for privacy at night or sun glare during the day).

    A log cabin can quickly go from charming to tacky & predictable. My style is very modern, so I see 5 stunning light fixtures hanging from that massive ceiling. Think Lindsey Adelman she's in NYC & is my favorite lighting designer as the designs are all hand made with blown glass, brass, ropes, etc. Amazing.
  • 13 years ago
    I personally would not obscure the view with window treatments. However if you have a western exposure with full afternoon sun and you need glare control or you wish to protect your furnishings from fading, take a look at 3M window films. Your soaring ceilings and massive sense of space beg for large scale lighting. I particularly like the rustic collections from Hammerton. If animal mounts are not your taste, you might consider using a vintage Pendleton blanket as a wall hanging.
  • 13 years ago
    I see no reason for window treatment except if you want something just on the lowest level some valance.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you need window covering for some reason, you could perhaps consider shades that are remote controlled.
    Hunter Douglas has great solutions for differently shaped windows. Honeycomb will also insulate if you need that.

    Or you could perhaps think about outside mounted screens or shades.

    Impressive room!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So much space to work with, you can do a lot, it's up to your imagination.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Fantastic entry! You should investigate www.enerlogicfilm.com for fade protection and year-round energy efficiency. If you need the privacy on the lowers some shades or the wool blanket idea would be my choice.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you haven't found a solution yet... this might help.
  • 11 years ago
    Post over a year old.