Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlh71478

Our family room needs help!

Rebecca
7 years ago

Hi Houzzers! This will be my fourth space to work on with help from great people on here. Welcome to our family room...it's never really had anything done to it. We bought our home two years ago. We spend most of our time in this room. Some things I'd like to accomplish are furniture arrangement, redo fireplace, decor etc.

I do have a good idea of what I'd like to do with fireplace...have inspiration pics I'll post. I'd like fireplace to be painted a shade of white, new door and mantel. Also replace the tile on hearth with brick or paint it.

Furniture arrangement feels tricky in here. The current sofa you see is actually a sectional. There is a corner piece missing that we have in spare bedroom. Trouble fitting it but would like to if we can. Otherwise, we MAY be open to selling and replacing. Current one has recliners.

The TV area is a small nook. I'm not sure if it should be angled like it is or straight against white wall. I do want a new larger TV stand. For extra storage and to fit our large TV(65').

We are also aware we need lighting. There is no lighting in this room except for the floor lamp you see. And either get rid of ceiling fan or replace. Will probably have to do ceiling lighting after holidays.

Things that need to stay in room...The recliner chair...it's my husband's and he will replace when he's ready for a new one. It's old and he loves it. The dog beds, TV, Sports memorabilia(will have to work around it), End table, sofa(unless replace). TV stand replace with new.

My style is a mix of farmhouse, rustic, traditional, cottage. I use Fixer Upper show as inspiration. Love everything on that show. I know holidays are coming up and I do decorate this room. Mostly the fireplace. So taking this slow. Would like to start with basics that can be done. Furniture arrangement, new tv stand etc. And start gathering ideas. Obviously it will be hard to move heavy furniture around alot. So maybe even a drawing would help.

Thank you for reading my long post and for all your suggestions! Lots of pics to follow.

Comments (945)

• RosemaryR
    6 years ago

How about a table lamp, I don't see much lighting in the room.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi ladies! Ok I stopped at Home Goods today and picked up some baskets...mainly for top shelf to throw keys, wallet etc in. I also picked up one for possibly bottom shelf to maybe put one of those pillows in. Or I could just sit a pillow on the shelf.

The bottom shelf is narrower than top (7"). I placed the lantern on a couple of books on bottom shelf for a look. Not sure I like it. I'm ok wether the outlet gets covered up or not. It's not bothering me as much here. I wanted a spot to sit my purse on bottom shelf. So it would probably either need to be lantern on books or pillow or something else. Either or.

So far, I love the plant, candlesticks, and maybe lantern up top. Or the bottles with plant. Or neither.

The sign shows up much better in person...I know Lainie was wondering.

There is a lamp three feet or less away...so not worried about a lamp on table.

Anyway, here are a bunch of pics. I'll need to post in two separate posts. Three pics below are of same basket up top. It has a natural look to it.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And here are more pics...Hubby has already started laying his keys and wallet on table. Lol

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm starting to feel drawn to this natural looking basket. With or without the lantern. And I like it on the end or in middle. Then I could put one of those pillows on the bottom.
  • abbyjean
    6 years ago

Part of my thinking with a plant there was....first, a perfect place for more greenery AND to fill in the wall between the art and the table.....otherwise, it just seems like I notice a blank area more than I want to. Probably just me.

My favorite look is the candles with the lantern and the plant and then the smaller wooden dish on top. It leaves some blank room for the eye to rest, which is good, so it does not look like you covered every inch of space that was there. LOL Which I do too much so I am aware of it probably.

My second favorite is the lantern on the bottom on the stack of books, which I am always drawn to and the white basket on the top right side of the table. Brings white over there and that is a good thing, too. Would your purse fit inside the basket or would it be there instead of the basket?

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

The basket on the bottom seems to work, too, to tie in the shade of the art with the burlap, but they may not even be close in color, either. Magazines in the basket??? Purse or nothing is fine, too.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Abbyjean, here are some pics with what you're liking. I also like both the small wood bowl and white wire basket. And I think I do like how plant under sign covers some wall space. Plus basket on end of table is more convenient. If we used the lantern up top we could put a pillow (pic below) on bottom left shelf. I'm not sure I'm liking a basket on bottom shelf. That one is black metal with burlap insert. Or maybe it would look better with a pillow. The pillow with some grey in it is 10"sq. And the other is 15"sq. Oh, and my purse won't fit in basket. Most of my purses are larger. Lol.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Or there is this lumbar pillow which is 12x19.
  • abbyjean
    6 years ago

OMG.....I totally like the pic with your purse on the bottom, books and lantern. And your purse is gorgeous!!!! And I like the top of the table in that pic, too. I am not sure about a pillow on a table......guess I prefer them on furniture???

Do you have any more smaller books? Try ONE more thing? Will you put a book or two under the outside candlestick? I love how you varied the height of the white candles, which totally pop on this wall, but one part of me would like to see the candlesticks without the top of them being the same height.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Abbyjean! Here are some more pics...not the best lighting now for pics. Small book under candlestick...not sure if I like a book there or maybe I need a different one. And if I keep the lantern below I think I need some different books. Or at least the top one. Lol. I took pics with the small wooden bowl and the white wire basket. I may ask hubby which one he likes.

The pillow idea came from pictures I've seen online. Console tales with pillow(s) on bottom. Which I do still like that idea also.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

The book is rather small, but if it gets too big, then it will maybe be separated from the other one too much? I wonder if it would even work to open the book, or would the candle be too off balanced? Could be cute or totally stupid. The book would have to be angled back toward the window, but maybe?

Yes, I think asking hubby which container he likes for his keys makes perfect sense.

Would you wanna try once of your pillows you already have like you are thinking so I can get an idea of what it would look like and then any of them could be darn cute as so fitting for you and your home!!!

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

Book under candle stick is looking a bit small. You could get the same look of varying height simply by chopping an inch off the bottom of the shortest candle. That would also give a bit more space below the word "for". Shape of a plant on the table.. suggest one that is a bit more "fluffy" & airy like this.. even a faux plant would do as any real plant on the table will always be leaning towards the light from the window. Sorry your candlesticks are looking a bit wonky... lol.. rush job.

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

Like the small light coloured wire basket for the top.. shows up better.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok...I'm thinking let's just leave the candlesticks as they are. I don't really care to mess with chopping them. Lol. And a book doesn't seem like the right fit. I'm good with how they look now. I don't really have a pillow around that's smaller like the ones I posted but I can use one from around here to try for a look. The dog ones I posted are smaller in size.

Lainie, did you see all the pics I posted earlier of different baskets? And the one with all the items I purchased to try? I learned from you all. Lol. I am liking the little white wire basket. I love these sketches you do. Wish I had that talent. Candlesticks don't look wonky. Lol. So are you thinking a plant other than the trailing plant? I thought it would look nice as it trails over. If a fluffy plant, I'd need one that doesn't need much light.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

Perfect to leave the candlesticks like you had them. I am happy they have a wonderful spot in this room now. Anxious to see what hubby thinks about a space for his keys.

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

C

DYes, saw all your purchases.. you are getting to be quite the decorating diva! My internet has been going crazy this week.. not impressed.

The plant that you have there now is trailing but still kind of heavy looking. Think maybe an English ivy would be lighter looking & trail. You could get a faux plant just to see the shape that you prefer.. stems on an ivy can be bent in any shape or direction.

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    OK, keep hubby's chair, but replace the sectional with something less over-stuffed and bulky, and in a different color. Look for furniture without big soft pillows and cushions, and maybe a sofa and chair(s) instead of the
    sectional. Do the dog beds need to go in front of the fireplace? Strive for some balance: right now all the big stuff is looking crowded at one end of the room. Add color in accessories, an area rug, art.
  • Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like that, Lainie. I've seen some trailing ivy with the smaller leaves. They have a more open look, I guess you could say. I think I'd like something like that. Just never thought of it. And I'd like a live one.

Here are a few pics with a pillow on bottom. They are much larger than the ones I was looking at. The ones I posted are a 10"sq. and a 15"sq.

And ladies...well hubby doesn't like the metal wire basket. He said it should be holding eggs and that his keys will get stuck on bottom wires. Lol. He said the small bowl is to small. He actually likes the natural looking basket with the liner. That was actually my first choice. Then the other two grew on me.

Sorry the lighting is bad right now for pics. No natural light. But the basket actually shows up great in person. It has almost looks to have a greyish tint in it but I don't think it does.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, hubby even said use one of his old cigar boxes instead of basket. But that would have a lid and defeat the purpose. Lol. I said to him "why did I even ask you". Lol

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

What hubby said totally makes sense! And the basket he likes in a great one. Your new plant might be smaller, but if it is the same, I would scootch the plant closer to the candles, just to give that breathing space instead of all items just lined up. I maybe would not angle the basket, either, since the candles are angled. BUT I am also loving the idea of his cigar box. Could the lid stay open instead of being closed? I just think that is a great touch of whimsy and sounds FUN.

Still not sure about a pillow and if you would be knocking it when you grab your purse?

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    6 years ago

Oh oh I like the idea of cigar box with lid open. Maybe move plant to bottom shelf next to purse!

• happyleg
    6 years ago

There are aloe vera plant & air plants.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok ladies! I never thought to open cigar box lid. Lol. Here are some pics with a cigar box. With lantern moved around and no lantern. And with plant up top and on bottom. The inside of lid is a blue color. One pic shows it on angle.

And here are pics with the natural color basket.

For the plant, I'm considering a trailing ivy with smaller leaves. Lainie had mentioned. And also an air plant like happyleg mentioned. But I forget what they're called. I remember Lainie mentioning one a while back. I need a low light plant. I do like the small leaf ivy plants.

As far as a pillow on bottom shelf...the ones I found are smaller so shouldn't get in way of purse.

What set up are you all liking? Thanks ladies!

• fudge100
    6 years ago
    Plant on the table, not below, cigar box looks good and hubby has a input so that's good too. No pillow, lantern and books on bottom shelf.
  • abbyjean
    6 years ago

That cigar box is AMAZING....just like you had that ladder waiting in the wings for you, too. I love it on the top with the candles and an ivy plant. Bottom? Books/lantern and purse.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

Maybe a pretty white pot for the plant? Even something vintage, like a soup tureen?

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

I vote for the candlesticks, plant (preferably ivy) & cigar box (placed on an angle) on top of table. Think he cigar box adds texture & interest to that area.

On bottom .. purse & if anything else would go for something very light feeling so as not to take away from the area where the wooden boards cross. Thinking maybe something glass.. here is a large jar that I have filled with natural coloured balls. Mine is 12" tall but you can get larger.. balls I scored at yard sale for $2. The had a very strong perfume smell which I am allergic to so I aired them out & sprayed with peppermint essential oil.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    6 years ago

I like candlesticks, and cigar box on top. Maybe a small potted succulent, something small vs large and full. I think you should lower the sign just a tad so it connects more to the table (no more than 10" above the table). I like the idea of a wicker basket on the bottom to hold the purse or just purse alone. These aren't your items but to give an idea

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    6 years ago

With sign lowered

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are some more pics...I vote for cigar box on an angle, plant and candlesticks up top. I like the idea that Lainie posted for bottom. Here are some bottles I have just for a look. Otherwise, the lantern on books works as well. The problem with a basket down there is that the lower shelf is only 7"D. My purses wouldn't really fit in a small basket. And it sounds like we are thinking no small pillow on bottom shelf to left.

For the plant, I'm also thinking an ivy. One that has the smaller leaves (so not so heavy looking). And either solid green leaves or the ones with the white in leaves. And place it in either an olive bucket(like current one) or Abbyjean mentioned maybe a white pot. For some reason, I don't do well with succulents(S Mistry mentioned). I've killed several. I don't think I want to try another right now. Lol.

As far as moving sign goes...It's pretty much there to stay so we can do our best to work around it. Hubby hung it with wooden dowl rods he stained. And they're placed in our plaster walls. Just somewhat of a hassle to move it. I agree it could be a little lower but I can live with it.

On a side note...A friend of hubby's stopped by the other evening and complimented the room. He said it looks like it came out of a catalog or Restoration Hardware catalog. Lol. And I have a feeling we could possibly be replacing the sofa sooner than later. But I can say that it looks so much better with all the work done around it. Pictures don't do it justice. Everything looks better in person! Thanks ladies!

• happyleg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

#1 I don't like the clear vases, unless something in side. The shells or wood chips, keys, marbles, corks.

• happyleg
    6 years ago

I love the lantern.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, happyleg. I agree. If I do larger jars/vases they need something in them. The lantern is actually made to hold a candle. Could always put one in there or leave empty.

• happyleg
    6 years ago

I love candle in a lantern.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

Yes, I agree......a candle in the lantern would be awesome! I was not sure if it opened or anything like that. Is it by any chance from Painted Fox? Love it!

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    The walls are too broken up, and make the ceiling feel low. Put wide CEILING HEIGHT drapes on the big window. You need side/end tables soma drink or snack - or book - can be set down. Use a combination of table and floor lamps. Start with uniformly light walls and the drapes. See where they lead you.
  • Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi ladies! Our internet was down for several days and then I got busy. Lol. I haven't purchased a small candle for lantern yet. Here are a few pics of pots for ivy plant. Haven't purchased plant yet. The pic of pot without plant is one I saw at Home Depot. The white one on table is one I had outside..it's slightly large for the current plant. I'd need to put something in pot to raise plant. And then my olive bucket. A part of me is liking the olive bucket with plant. Or maybe the one from Home Depot(with the wording).

We've been having some wonderful weather! Hope you all are doing good!

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

Rainy some days, but that is ok as we need it and then sunny others....typical spring weather, huh?

I like the pot with the wording, BUT if the plant trails like planned, it will be covered up. I actually like the white pot you already had. I like the white and I like the size and height......all needed, in my opinion. Sometimes I take a dish/bowl that I do not use much....or another flower pot and turn it upside down and a new plant fits on it perfectly. You will have to play once you get the new plant and see what size item you need to raise it up inside. The new plant should cover up the edges of the larger pot just fine, I am guessing. Looks sooooo nice!!!!

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Abbyjean!I like the pot with the words also. But you're right about the wording just getting covered up. I was thinking the white one I brought in from outside was a little large. But maybe not. It would probably look better once the plant fits in properly. I plan to get a smaller leaf ivy. Either solid green or with some white.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

I guess because the candlesticks are large and the space on the wall to fill under the pic, the larger pot makes sense to me. Thing is, if you get the plant, and I love ivy, and cannot get it to fit and look nice....no problem as that pot can go back outside with a different outdoor plant in it, right? I love bringing white over there and having the white touches. A white candle below in the lantern will work, too.

Happy Easter!!!

• Lainie D'Eon
    6 years ago

Agree.... a taller pot would be better especially with an ivy in it to allow the plant to flow down the sides. For an ivy plant you will not need a wide pot .. 5" pot would be plenty big.. then a bit larger outer pot.

• happyleg
    6 years ago

Happy Easter!

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi ladies! Hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend. Had a great day yesterday but Saturday I had a migraine. Haven't had one in awhile.

Anyway, I forgot I picked up this pot at Home Goods to try. It's even larger. 9 1/2"W x 8 1/2"H. So may be to big. I don't know. And still have the other white pot from outside. I just need to pick up a plant so we can see. Didn't get to on Saturday like I wanted to.

Lainie, I assume you're talking about the pot the ivy is planted in being about 5"W? I've seen some around that size or maybe 7"W.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And I did pick up a plant today...it's in the white/cream colored pot from outside. The plant pot does need raised slightly as it's sitting down in pot a little to far I think. The ivy isn't hanging over as nicely as it should. So kind of sticking out everywhere. Thoughts on how this looks? I'm so used to the larger leaves from other plant that this looks different to me. Lol. Plus other one is a little fluffier I think. Could always switch with stool plant if need to. It was suggested to get a smaller leaf ivy. And I do like them. The pot I posted this morning is much larger. I wish I went ahead and picked up the pot with words form Home Depot. It's about the same height just not as wide. The ivy pot wouldn't fit in it. The larger leaf ivy may...their planted in two different styles of pots.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

So happy you are feeling better!

I really like your outdoor pot inside! And you can always switch the two plants if you are happier with them in the other places in those containers, too. This one there now looks great and maybe it is just so different and that is what is throwing you off. Once you decide and get the wire off and maybe turn an old bowl upside down for it to sit on, it may make a big difference for you, too. I think the pot with words would be too many words right there and not sure how visible they would remain, either.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ya know, I looked at the above pic once again....after I hit submit, of course, and like that ivy right there. You can really play with the trailing part....I like the longer once hanging down and not in the way of the key box, but the other trailing part can connect with the candlesticks more, too.

And if you had extra dirt, you could always just pot the ivy right in the white pot????

• PRO
    debrakuhn
    6 years ago
    If you put the tv on top of fireplace you can move the entire sectional around, so that the chaise goes next to wall where tv is presently positioned. That is a good sized room. Furniture needs to float a little instead of being against the wall. It become one focal point instead of two. Tv and fireplace united as one. Their will be plenty of room for lounger. Add some fun throws and pillows. And yes paint walls and lighten up color. Some people call it greige, but it’s actually a soft light taupe grey. If the sectional chaise isn’t sitting right against the wall you have room to do s built in or cabinet or shelves of some sort. Keep it 14” max. Deep. Looks like a pretty big space where tv stand sits. All that space is kind of waisted. Good luck. One more think, carpet looks taupe so that greige would work well. Sometime it’s fun to put a small patterned rug in front of sectional and bring additional color into room. Then add pillows and throws. That blue in your sample pics look great with taupe, if room is finished disregard this message! Thanks!
  • happyleg
    6 years ago

How are u doing? I know your done.

• Rebecca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi happyleg and ladies! I was just scrolling through this post and saw happyleg's comment from months ago. I'm doing great and hope all of you are! I am now a Realtor and we added another boy/doggy child to our family over the summer. So we now have three. We also got rid of our huge sectional that was in this room and bought something smaller called a Lovesac Sactional.

• happyleg
    5 years ago

Wow congrats to u!