Software
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348

Yes. Yes, you can have too many options.

9 years ago

Just finished our beach house kitchen remodel, and we're so happy. Looking for furniture and drapes to replace the lower end stuff that's there now. I've stepped into the abyss...

And the "absolutely not" pile is double the size.

I've narrowed the manufacturers to about 3-4. I'm getting 2 swivel rockers, sofa, 2 slipper chairs, drapes, pillows. I want bright, happy, cheerful, with a mix of pattern and color. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time. Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts?

New kitchen

Living space:

Comments (42)

  • 9 years ago

    What a pretty house- that kitchen is great with the turquoise. I think I can definitely see adding some good touches of yellow and that happy green . Maybe not a lot of it but from the photo of the maybes I see some nice selections that incorporate yellow. Really a very happy space.

  • 9 years ago

    What a beautiful kitchen! What tiles did you use? I can relate since we just mostly finished our kitchen remodel and I also have a pile of swatches for window seats, curtains, etc.

  • 9 years ago

    I love it!

  • 9 years ago

    Love your kitchen, especially the tiles. What a great beach-looking spot.

    With that in mind - I would take out the olive greens that you have in your samples and the mustard yellow one with the circles. Those colours just don't play well with the turquoise tiles. I like the top left yellowish one (the one that looks like Xmas trees). It looks like it would co-ordinate with your lamp.

    If you want olive green, there is one in your discard pile, it's green and blue rectangles - maybe revisit that one or not. It's hard to see what the blues are like.

  • 9 years ago

    I like the one that looks like a peacock feather on the lower left of the top picture. Love the kitchen tile!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It's a beach house! Who wants curtains? Use shutters or blinds to block some of the sun when needed. Curtains will just fade.

  • 9 years ago

    Ha anglophilia! I LOVE curtains. I have blinds under for light control, but wouldn't be without drapes.

    Thanks for the sweet comments on the kitchen. Tile is fireclay Hawaiian blue. For fun, here's the dark space we started with.

    So, somewhat edited:

    The green fish pillows are staying, bc I love them. They're not really olive, more a duller lime. I love either the blue medallions or yellow ikat for drapes.

  • 9 years ago

    Fish-yes yes yes! adorable. I'd do yellow ikat for drapes (lighter, and great with blue backsplash). And I'd use blue medallions and this gorgeous 4 toned ikat for something too. Especially ikat. what a gorgeous pattern. You can also mix patterns on smaller pieces-say that white with blue medallion, with dark blue..

    jackson2348 thanked aprilneverends
  • 9 years ago

    ..which background is lighter, brighter white-the yellow ikat one, or the blue medallions?

  • 9 years ago

    I love what you've done with those two rooms! A great beach feel! At any rate, I like that yellow upper left in you most recent sample photo. Also that bottom blue/green/a little yellow fabric at bottom. (And the whimsy of the fish pattern)

    jackson2348 thanked artemis_ma
  • 9 years ago

    Yes to the fish pattern. The olive greens I was talking about were the two at the bottom of the first picture.

    You don't want to throw that blue/green rectangle patterned fabric on top of your new edited pile? I'd love to see it - it may or may not be a quick no.

  • 9 years ago

    Love the white with blue medallions and the blue denim would look great with it and be so beachy relaxed. Don't care for that ikat . In your top pile lets see the one that looks like it has little yellow x's and blue designs on white it is below the yellow and white on the left and next to the fish fabric it looks like it would go good with this mix .

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here's some more options for you lol

    Fresca cobalt

    Odfracot.

    I know you did not mention rugs but see I am obsessed with this rug , I want a beach house so I can have this rug and the colors would look really good especially the runner one for the kitchen . Sorry . . .


    Tobago rug

    jackson2348 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 9 years ago

    In similar situations, rather than trying to narrow down the pool of candidates I try to create what-if scenarios. You may not have every fabric you need in your pile.

    Start with a big piece, either sofa or drapes. What if I used this for drapes and this for sofa.... Then how would other pieces evolve. What's the final combo? That's scenario 1.

    jackson2348 thanked localeater
  • 9 years ago

    What a lovely, happy space!!!

    jackson2348 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 9 years ago

    Some questions answered-

    April, the backgrounds are the same. The fabrics are printed on the same linen. Blfenton, here's the blue/green

    I think the colors are just a little softer than I'd like.

    I love the turquoise ikat ikat at the bottom, but the green and tan in it I think is wrong. Ravencajun the little patterned one is a grade 82(!!!!). I'd likely use it just in a pillow or 2. I agree the colors are great if I go with the yellow drapes

    The rug and the fabric you posted are both so pretty, but again I think I'd like some bolder clearer color.

    Localeater that's what I've kind of been doing in my head. Maybe that's why I'm overwhelmed with it-there are so many scenarios I'm turning over in my head! I prob need to get pictures of each scenario individually.

    Thanks everyone for your help!

  • 9 years ago

    does anyone have a source for mere mortals (as opposed to designers) to order mid range quality furniture in COM? Looking at Lee, Taylor king, cr laine, century, Wesley hall. COM is avail through all, but it's almost cost prohibitive.

  • 9 years ago

    Don't get rid of that blue/green rectangle one quite yet. Depending on the other colours you go with it's a nice small pattern. Don't forget that interest comes not only from mixing colours but also size of patterns. Eg, you don't want two large patterns as they will fight for dominance in a room. If you do your fish pattern fabric in a couple of pillows the other fabric will work well as a third pillow to mix things up a bit.

    I have to admit that I do like that fabric.

    jackson2348 thanked blfenton
  • 9 years ago

    agree about mixing sizes of the patterns..also want to add-don't feel like you have to keep the the same color intensity everywhere..all blues go together, all greens go together too. A bit of variation in depth will bring additional interest to the room.

    jackson2348 thanked aprilneverends
  • 9 years ago

    So I've been putting together different combinations (thanks localeater!) and a couple of things have become clear. The sofa wants to be navy, the neutrals just weren't working in any case. The best option with that is white slipcovers for swivel gliders. Then either the yellow ikat or the blue medallions for drapes, with a boho-ish combination of color/pattern for the slipper chairs and pillows. I.e.:

    navy sofa with 4 pillows, green geometric slipper chairs, white chairs with blue pillow. Or:
    blue drapes, navy sofa with 3 pillow fabrics, white chair, yellow triangles for slipper chairs. Putting together different combos has been really helpful.

    I think these are a pretty good mix of pattern sizes and styles. Not sure it's quite there yet. I'm hesitant to admit it, but I have a few more samples coming. But only about 5. Maybe 10. Ok 20, tops.

  • 9 years ago

    I really like the turquoise ikat the best and am missing it in your most recent selections. I thought it was more interesting to have the green that was complementary but not so matchy. I didn't think it or the tan were bad. The tan looked complementary to to the yellow/gold tones to me.

    jackson2348 thanked jesshs
  • 9 years ago

    While I like all of your fabric choices, it may be easier to use one fabric inclusive of all the colors and then choosing other fabric to compliment them. I would forgo the yellow and concentrate on white/off-white, blue and green to incorporate your turquoise kitchen tile. It could be the drapes or the slipper chairs. Take a look at Duralee peacock:

    jackson2348 thanked voila
  • 9 years ago

    Or P Kaufmann fabric. Find something you love and take colors from it to determined the correlating Hope this helps. fabrics.

  • 9 years ago

    I was drawn to the turquoise Ikat, with the yellow and the deep teal arrowhead stripes ... but it's your house.

    jackson2348 thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Voila, I promise that's where I started

    I'll play around with puttin the turquoise ikat back in this morning. I did feel like it was a little more limiting though. Here's an earlier try:

    I could also revisit this fabric which I liked too. Bonus points for being able to do a neutral sofa.


    To me, these 2 brighter options might be too obnoxious for drapes, as they'll be in the living and dining areas. Thoughts?

  • 9 years ago

    The top picture of the post right above this - I'm not sure what it is showing or indicating. If it is showing a thought process, there are a lot of similar sized patterns which is not a good idea.

    jackson2348 thanked blfenton
  • 9 years ago

    Smith Brothers of Berne will do COM and their furniture is quite well made for a moderate price point. You might even find a fabric you like for a piece or two.


    http://www.smithbrothersfurniture.com/

    jackson2348 thanked mnzinnia
  • 9 years ago

    Your tile sample looks beautiful with the ikat fabric. Can you show us the ikat with the fishy green for pillows and medallion for drapes? Worry about the sofa color last.

  • 9 years ago

    Love the navy medallions for drapes. The pattern is timeless.

    jackson2348 thanked jerseygirl_1
  • 9 years ago

    Blfenton, no that's not a contender...I was just showing that I did try starting with a multicolor pattern to pull the rest from. LOTS of options, none I just loved.

    Thank you mnzinnia! I'll check out their website and see what they have.

    Voila, here's the ikat and medallion. I don't like them together, I think bc the patterns are similar shape and size. but then they won't be that close together irl.

    That ikat does look fabulous with the tile. I'm just not sure I like it with the other colors im trying to incorporate. It does seem to be a favorite, and the price point is great. Hmmmm. I'll have to give it some more thought.

    2 new choices arrived yesterday, I love them both. I think the price will limit their use to pillows though.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Also, I don't have a sample of the other ikat I was looking at, but here's a mockup.

    Edited to change pic to remove one option.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    While Aimee's curtains are very nice, I think any large or all-over pattern at your window is going to detract from the crisp, clean, understated effect of your kitchen. I would much prefer the yellow triangular stripe, or the grass green triangular shaped one. Either would add interest, but won't take over the room. I also think, for continuity, you need to bring that teal into the room in some fashion.

    ETA: I also love ikat, but if this is a seasonal home, I'd avoid it on anything other than a pillow. Furnishings are changed much less frequently in a second home, so I'd be careful of any trends.

    jackson2348 thanked deeinohio
  • 9 years ago

    Aimee, I love that! What a pretty bedroom you put together. I think I might be looking for cool or eclectic rather than pretty for the public space here.

    thanks Dee. I think the "big idea" in my head has been solid furnishings (possibly excepting the slipper chairs if I can get them cheap ready made), with a big pattern on the drapes...prob on a white ground to keep it airy. Then a pretty bold mix of color and pattern on pillows.

    my thought abt one of the small patterns on drapes is that you lose the pattern except up close, so they would read as a light yellow or green from a distance. In fact looking at my drapes here at my primary home all are either solid or large patterned!!

  • 9 years ago

    well if you don't go with that beautiful ikat then at least go with something that has those colors in it. It pulls the tile and fish pillow colors together beautifully and you could have your navy couch too.

  • 9 years ago

    I love this ikat so much partially because of its ability to suggest colors/tie them all together. Wouldn't use it for the sofa, very unsure about the drapes...even though might work great..see it more an outtsanding color, say, one of the chairs, plus a couple pillow..but I wouldn't get rid of it.

    I happen to think ikat is no trend at all..it is a pattern famous for centuries. If to think like that-plaid is a trend too..)) Only because these two were born in different geographic spot, doesn't make one trendy, anothone not. It's just that now people travel with more ease, and are much more exposed to to the internet.

  • 9 years ago

    I always like it when people come back and show the finished product! Just got drapes back from the seamstress and got them hung. I'm so happy with how it all turned out!


    We went with a nubby crypton on the sofa, which should hold up to just about anything, and navy slips on the swivel rockers. That's all from Lee. In the spirit of high-low, the 2 slipper chairs are from target, meant for very occasional use, to be pulled into the seating area for playing games, etc. We can seat 10 in the den when we have people over, which is awesome.


    And the adjoining dining room. We only changed the drapes in here.


    Love being able to bounce ideas around with this group. So helpful! Thank you all.

  • 9 years ago

    I love the curtains -- it all looks wonderful and ready for summer : ) .

    jackson2348 thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • 9 years ago

    Congratulations on your beautiful new design! Nice job.

    jackson2348 thanked voila
  • 9 years ago

    LOVE the ikat. I have been mulling over some ikat curtains and seeing yours is pushing me to seriously get a move on. They look perfect.

    jackson2348 thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Your space looks fantastic! Thanks for the update.

    jackson2348 thanked laughablemoments
  • 9 years ago

    Your space looks amazing. I really like the grouping with the 2 chairs against the curtains, and the yellow lamp (which I liked from the beginning). You really pulled that vignette together nicely.

    Thanks for showing us the finished product.

    jackson2348 thanked blfenton