Software
Houzz Logo Print
amyking40

Help for entryway

9 years ago

Hello - first time posting. I'm wondering if I can get some advice for my entryway. The window at an angle gives me fits. Also, what kind of rug (if any) would go here?

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is an interior window, correct? That can easily be removed so it is a solid wall. As for the type of rug, your entryway looks like it could handle two rugs. The first would be rectangular at the actual entry. The rest of the entryway looks like it opens up on a 45 degree angle at each side; perhaps a circular rug with a foyer table would be appropriate.

    Amy King thanked Meyer Design
  • 9 years ago

    Do you want to see that porch from the foyer? If not, then close up the window with a wall and move on. Its a beautiful location for a great piece of big art (no wider than 75% of the credenza's width.) I think the small chest is crowding the front door. Just go with art there, and it looks like there is a FP in the next room but the art above it is too small. I would duplicate the dining room chandy with a larger version in the foyer.

    Amy King thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Agree the small chest right by the front door looks big for the space, and is cutting off that window to the side of the door. I think it would look more open and flow better with something on the wall but nothing on the floor right there. I think that patio window would drive me nuts as well! A wall there would be nice, and break up some of the repetitiveness as you won't be looking at so many arches.

    Amy King thanked Lindsay K
  • 9 years ago

    You could add shutters to that window but it would probably cost less to drywall the opening. Then add a mirror over the chest.


    Amy King thanked leelee
  • 9 years ago

    Yes, I was going to say the same thing about the cute little chest behind the door. Too crowded there. I was told that one of the "decorating rules" is "don't decorate or hang pictures behind a door". Put an umbrella holder there.


    If you move the chest it might look bare for a while but then you'll appreciate the openness.

    Amy King thanked leelee
  • 9 years ago

    It looks as if that window was put there to give light to the interior space. If you block it up with a wall, which I tend to mostly agree with, you may need to consider how you light that space. (From a northern climate girl who needs light in winter.)

    Amy King thanked jmanderson
  • 9 years ago

    My guess is it was put there by the same builder that adds all the niches.

    Amy King thanked leelee
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you ALL! So good to get this help. It's a darned-if-you-do, darned-if-you-don't situation that jmanderson identified. When we tried to sell this house (a year ago), one of the biggest complaints the potential buyers had was that there wasn't enough light! So UGH. I would really love to drywall the space but they I fear it would make the lack of natural light in the house a huge problem.


    And yes, I am still struggling with art over the mantles in this house -- they are both rusticated limestone and huge. The visible one with the too-small oil painting (which has been moved) is 12 feet tall, as is the ceiling.


    So remove the chest by the door and just use artwork there. Size? Something taller than it is wide, I'm assuming.

  • 9 years ago

    That piece of art is more like the size you need for the FP mantel. You want that piece to be no wider than the firebox opening. A slim piece can work at the front door. Just center it 5' above the floor. A mirror there could help compensate for lack of light. IMO, that window to the porch might work better as a French door onto the area. Then you could float a round foyer table with an interesting vignette of decor items in the center of the entry under a smashing chandy.


    Traditional Vestibule with Hydrangeas · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    No art behind the door. If you want art, put in on the open side of the door not behind the door.

  • 9 years ago

    decoenthusiaste -- those are great tips! Thank you!

  • 9 years ago

    I'd keep the window. It repeats the arch shape and provides a lot of light. If you find it boring you could hang a lovely stained


    glass in lieu of artwork. You'd need the right shape and size of course. I know they are perhaps more expensive than drywall work to close the wall but it is also much better looking than drywall.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree-- remove the little chest and place something more colorful there -- such as the umbrella holder or an urn with curly twigs, pussy willows or some other interesting stalks. I also think the chandelier needs to be larger and more interesting. I could go either way with the entry rugs-- but they would probably need to be fairly soft and neutral. I like the idea of two and having them be different shapes.


    Obviously the above photo is not in my entryway... or where it is normally placed. I just wanted you to see what I meant by "curly twigs" and I think the scale of this urn is perfect.

    This is in my entryway... I found the catails down on the beach!
    This urn is way too large... but these dried floral stalks grew in my front yard. I love them, but I don't know what they are!

    Amy King thanked Tricia Woodworth