Software
Houzz Logo Print
nabeyaki7

Going bare?

9 years ago
So I decided to go bare in my new apartment. I had several rugs previously in the old house that got destroyed by my cat. Now the precious rugs from travels are only in my bedroom and guest bedroom in the new apt where the cat is not allowed. Noise for neighbors is not a problem (reviewed HOA rules carefully before I purchased the unit and all units come standard with all hardwood floors in a concrete and steel building).

I do miss a good rug in the living area occasionally, but I'm finding going bare is A LOT less messy and works well with my obsessive cleanliness (especially with a cat that loves to tear up fabric).

I'm open to getting rug(s) for the living and/or dining areas or keeping it bare in the future. Just curious what the houzz community thinks about going bare??

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago

    It all depends on the overall look and style of the space, and your preference, of course. Those seem to be professional interior pics, so I'm not sure if that's your apartment or not, but I think those rooms look wonderful just as they are. Other rooms can look unfinished, unwelcoming and ungrounded without rugs.

  • 9 years ago
    If someone has allergies, then rooms without rugs or carpeting may be necessary. You need to do what works best for you. In your case, it is easier to take care of a room without a rug. There is plenty of texture in the rooms that are in the photos, so those rooms really work. Personally, I would call that the minimalist look, rather than bare.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Rina, I just took those on my iphone this week.

    Rbhirano, yes I guess I would my lifestyle minimalist, if I have to use a word. I am not into clutter. Less buying = more saving. :-)
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Looks great. Cowhide is always an option with cats if you miss the rug.

  • 9 years ago

    It's a nice clean look, as long as it's not a cold climate because for some reason carpet just feels warmer, but i myself would prefer the look, looks really nice..

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Chilewich makes some interesting mats that might work they are not soft but interesting

  • 9 years ago
    I think your minimalist approach looks absolutely beautiful. It really enhances the art in your home. I agree about the Chilewich mats. They have a modern vibe that looks great and would fit with your decor. They're not warm and cozy but are very functional and insanely easy to keep clean. Lovely home.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Normally, I am all for rugs in homes but your style and arrangement works very well without a rug. I say if it works for your life (kitties and all) then I would leave it as is --looks great!!

  • 9 years ago

    I think it looks great!!

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion regarding Chilewich mats. Will definitely keep that in mind when I redo the living area!
  • 9 years ago

    Hello Pity, you took those? Well goodness gracious me, you are one heck of a photographer! I repeat, the rooms are beautiful. If you're happy, the style gods are happy. Your art is great, by the way.

    I've just looked up Chilewich. Yeah, really nice options if you ever get in the rug mood. If you don't, cool. I gotta cat too.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Your rooms look great as they are! Nice colorful art, a nice clean look. The main advantages of rugs:

    1) Sound absorption when entertaining

    2) Warmth underfoot in the winter

    3) They settle a space if an area needs to be defined .... your spaces do not need this.

    Hope that helps?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Rugs are a great accessory for many homes however, in your case, I love the bare look!

  • 9 years ago
    How we've tried so many textures and styles of cat trees and scratching posts in our previous house over the last 11 years! I've tried bitter apple sprays, wrapped rugs and fabric chairs in aluminum foil or double-sided tape, soft paws...He'll show modest interest in immediately after I sprinkle some catnip on approved scratch items, but he always ends up back on our furniture. I suspect he likes the human smell. He is really weird. He only likes to be rubbed, follow us around (can be annoying), attack the TV, and sit on my spot on the sofa. You can see him in the first picture...he spends most of the day there when I'm at work. He doesn't like to dig into leather, so we've been limited to leather sofas for the past 4-5 years after this discovery. I even bought a fabric swivel chair for him to tear up (can see some of it on the left edge of 1st picture), and he has not really shown any interest. I need to sit there more to make him interested.
  • 9 years ago
    Transforming Rooms, yes thank you! I didn't really feel I needed a rug (visually and comfort-wise) but wanted to check in with the community to make sure I'm not committing some egregious error...so many discussions about rugs in this discussion area.
  • 9 years ago
    I might try the Chilewich mat when I swap out the temporary rug in the office/guest bedroom. I use it to protect the floor when the sofa bed is pulled out, and it's a rarely used space.
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting