Software
Houzz Logo Print
d_tan65

Window shades for an 84" triple window

9 years ago
I was hoping to go with a bamboo or faux wood blind but i see they dont go up to 84". Do i have to go custom? I dont care for vertical blinds. There is little to no reveal between panes. I need easy to function privacy screen for daily use. Note: I have a toddler.

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would do a double rod and hang a sheer over the windows then the panels of drapery to the sides. The grommet drapes take up a lot of space (4-6" from wall) so they aren't my first choice for drapes, so if you can exchange, I would do double pleated ones and get a rod that holds two rods so you can do the sheers and drapery panels on far sides. It would be quite a lot less expensive as well. Shades for that much of expanse are quite expensive and HEAVY SO THE ARE NOT easy to operate, lift and lower for washing windows, etc. Sheers is the answer in my mind.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think custom blinds would be crazy expensive here, but if you do get them, be sure to get the cordless kind. I just read yet another horrible story about a toddler strangling themselves with cords from blinds. So tragic!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A woven shade in an 84 inch width gets fairly heavy, and will need a privacy liner if that's a concern, making it heaver. I doubt you want to raise and lower three shades. You will need an outside mount to cover the 84 inch width with a single, and your best bet will be something lighter weight............a good cellular shade in customized size. Your curtain brackets will need a deeper extension from the wall as well. Call a Hunter Douglas dealer near you,

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    IMO wooden blinds are too heavy for these windows get some simple blinds inside mounted to each window and you need many more drapery panels those look skimpy and cheapen the look of those lovely windows . IMO drapes should always appear to have enough fullness to close properly even if you never close them in fact if they were full enough you would just close them when you need privacy

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have a 108" expanse in my kitchen, so went with Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades -- all one blind. There's an array of colours -- some that give a bit of a wood look.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Some solar/roller shade fabric have the visual texture of woven woods, without the weight.

    and then there is the option of doing 3 shades on one tube with one continuous valance, something like this: (shown are woven wood Romans, however)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The roller shades are a very good solution. A bit pricey, but if they would fit your window great solution.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I just got some Hunter Douglass Powerview shades- honeycomb variety to block some "hot lights" at night. I LOVE them. In the bedroom, they stack on the bottom, go all the way up BUT they also can come down from the top. The terminology for this escapes me. In the second living, more straightforward- stacks at top and goes down. My biggest window, however, is 72", so not quite as big as yours.

    Inside mount- very low-profile, but really pretty when in use. No cords. Motorized from a very simple battery-powered pod installed next to light control. I haven't deployed the app that allows to time them to come up or down as you want. From my research and also my local dealer, there's still a couple of "bugs" to be worked out there. I have enough Internet apps that give me fits in this house.

    Two minor but nice financial considerations: I'll get a Federal Tax credit for a portion of the cost of these blinds, and because they are permanent fixtures in the house, it adds to my cost basis in re-sale. That's not something curtains can do :)

  • 9 years ago

    I would do 3 inside mount

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think you can do inside mounts, much less 3, those are unusual windows.

  • 9 years ago

    I think it's possible but see 5 shades, not 3. God knows what that might cost :)


  • 9 years ago

    If no space to mount individual just get thicker lined curtain panels you can close