Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapping

New look for old house

mapping
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

How can I make the house look more attractive it just lack something even the windows look boring

Comments (17)

• mapping
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas please

• apaquin25
    7 years ago

Your house is hidden by all of the overgrown plants. Cut them back, pull what you don't like and what is too much to maintain, and then take some better pictures so we can help out.

Also, I think painting your house a different color would go a long way. The current color is too close to the color of your gravel and since your roof is light, what we can see hiding behind all the plants just disappears.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

Put some upkeep into the garden, and pick a nice new paint for the siding. Maybe a nice blue or a warm brown.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

We can't really see the house, and people are right about tackling the overgrowth. I would beef up the posts supporting the porch roof like the first photo below. Number two shows a railing installed, but you may not need that. Do I see a large set of doors, double or single with sidelights? I hope they're stained. You have no trim on the windows or around them. I don't think shutters will work because they'd have to be so large to give the appearance that they could actually cover the windows (their true purpose.)Could you install some exterior trim on them? Are all your roses tree form? They appear to be. I'd love to see some climbers on the corner posts and across part the roof. You could rework the landscaping out front. I get the impression you may be in Australia... maybe not. What grows in your area. Xeriscape might work for you.

East Pensacola Heights Cottage · More Info

Baypoint Cottage at Brays Island · More Info

Provencal private garden · More Info

mapping thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    7 years ago

Hello mapping I think the clean, simple
    lines of the house are great! A few landscaping changes make a big difference
    (below).

The cream paint on the house looks a bit
    washed out, go for a slightly darker color - blue compliments the grey roof and
    contrasts nicely with the green foliage. Paint the window trim white. Add a pop
    of color on the front door and update the door hardware/ porch lamps/ house
    number with contemporary metallic or modern rustic, whichever style you prefer.

Reveal the beauty of the porch by cutting
    back or removing the plants and shrubs. Keep the climbing roses, they are
    absolutely beautiful. Stick with low-growing shrubs or plants in front of the
    porch.

Now for the circular flower bed in the
    driveway. The dark, heavy-looking wall dominates the driveway and draws
    attention away from the house. Remove the wall and create a circular bed that
    is just slightly higher than the gravel. Around the perimeter of the bed,
    install metal lawn edging. It defines the shape, keeps grass in place and stops
    gravel spilling all over the bed. Plant the bed
    with grass or ground-cover plants and in the center, create a flower bed for your
    beautiful standard roses. For a less formal look, add a few more shrubs, roses,
    flowering plants and spring bulbs. Your local garden center can come up with a
    planting plan for you. Just to give you an idea, here's the edging.

Place some attractive garden furniture on
    the porch and maybe a few pots of colorful flowers. Then you can "stop and
    smell the roses"!

mapping thanked Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago
    If you want it to be more bold, I wonder if your home could pull of a color scheme like this. Dark blue with yellow window trim. Or another bold color combo.
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago
    Or a little more classic with dark blue with white trim.
  • PRO
    Budget Blinds Tallahassee
    7 years ago

Add some nice exterior shutters! We would also add a beautiful fountain in the middle of the driveway if the budget allows.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Sorry, but shutters are not right on this style house. Are their local customs about colors that would help us guide you? I have a feeling this is International location?
  • PRO
    Budget Blinds Tallahassee
    7 years ago

Thank you for your opinion but local and regional design aesthetics are just that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I think a bright white would be a nice choice for this house. Would help the eye find it and with the changes in landscaping it will be a real beautiful house in a beautiful setting.

mapping thanked Flo Mangan
  • mapping
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This house is a Holliday home we bought just recently, so yes it is an international one, when we are not living in Connecticut we still like to feel at home.

• mapping
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo, thank you for your positive comments

• mapping
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We will paint it a bright white I think that's a great idea thank you for that, but I don't have any idea what to do about the windows

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

You are welcome. What a treat to fly off to this location! Wow! Happy New Year, and let's paint this place in 2017! Any more thoughts on color? I still like bright white, but I could also love a great bright blue/green ocean color? Near ocean?

Well so long til next year!

• mapping
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol yes it is good to be fortunate to fly to the other side of the world, and a very happy healthy and prosperous new year to you to Flo

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!