Software
Houzz Logo Print
amybell3

Mirrored dining room wall

9 years ago
I don't think this is one of those designs that will change come back in style. Walls are plaster. At this time I'm not sure how mirrors are attached. Help!!

Comments (33)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Seems like a ton of work to remove them and they are ameliorated somewhat by your China cabinet. I wonder if it would be better if you somehow were able to continue the pretty drapes on either side of the cabinet. I do think it is a lovely room.

  • 9 years ago
    All the furniture pictured is current owners, not ours.
  • 9 years ago
    This is a very busy feeling room. Part of that is the mirrored wall, doubling everything, but part is the china cabinet which has a busy appearance as well. Is there any way to simplify and streamline its contents?
  • 9 years ago
    Crossed posts. Always helpful to have that information at the beginning!
  • 9 years ago

    Find out who did the original plaster. Tear it out and have the plaster redone.

  • 9 years ago

    Would it be possible to paint the mirror?

  • 9 years ago
    You can frame the mirrors. I've seen it done very nicely. I'll post some good examples. I love the last one (gold-ish one). I've seen the one framed out in white done a few times and it looks great and purposeful when done.
  • 9 years ago

    If it`s to complicated to take the mirrors down right now you could cover the wall with curtains.

  • 9 years ago

    Once that china cabinet is gone, I think the mirror could look great in the room. Wait until you move in with your furniture and then decide.

  • 9 years ago

    yes, good advice. move in and live with it for awhile you may want to frame, tear out, or love as is

  • 9 years ago
    I had the same problem when we bought our house many years ago! Yikes! A whole wall of mirrors in the living room no less! I think you have gotten some good advice here. It's really how you choose to live with it. I chose to live with it myself and ; I just treated it any other wall. I even hung art on it. I've come to like it;)
  • 9 years ago
    Hmm, failure to post strikes again!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Oh my no...would not do that..do not keep them..new home..new room..make it yours. If you are afraid of what damage it may cause...I would just cover it with wallpaper..so many beautiful subtle large patterns that would be gorgeous. Peel and stick is the best application.....

  • 9 years ago
    Peel& stick wallpaper:(
  • 9 years ago
    In truth, a reputable mirror co. Can usually remove those with less problems and damage than you might imagine. Yes you will have to have the drywall repaired and reskim coated but it may not be as costly as think. I chose not to ( just a little quirky;) but get a couple of quotes if it bugs you that much.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Before

    After

    This is peel and stick wallpaper...have seen this application done and it is an amazing transformation.....takes time but well worth it!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If in a couple years you are ready to take on the mirror removal and the cost...no harm done.

  • 9 years ago
    While that looks ok in a small condo HIWE this is a large elegant space and you would be left with a wall that you still can't attach anything to ! I think I would rather have the mirror in this case. Or just go ahead a remove it.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Lynartist...just like you they could pre-drill holes in the mirror for art before hanging wall paper...my example would not be that wallpaper......I would suggest a subtle tone on tone in a large pattern to give it a very elegant look..self achesive wallpapers have a mat finish and have really come a long way!.....just a suggestion I could never live with those mirrors:( would rather have peel and stick to be honest.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree with the comments I've seen mostly- large mirror in large space will increase chances of making it busy. I would agree too, wait until the space is clear from previous owners decor to make your final decision. You may find that it works well enough with your decor. I love the idea of the peel and stick wall paper.

    We had a mirror wall in our living room in the house we purchased.They were a dark "smokey" mirror with gold veins in 12x12 squares. We didn't make a decision until everything was out but due to damage hidden by furniture we had no choice. (They double stick taped them to the wall so some popped off with no damage but repairing the plaster in the places it didn't was a pain... We did it ourselves though, doing repairs to the patches since they were small (but rather numerous...). If you do remove you could have it skim coated to repair, but A plaster repair company can likely help to fix or match what is there.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My current house also had floor to ceiling mirrors in dining room (about 15 ' or so ) I had them removed during a remodel... it wasn't an easy process since ours were heavy & attached with a strong adhesive substance. It required drywall repair afterwards. It was well worth the hassle. Looked so much better & didn't have to deal with the constant cleaning of them ... drove me crazy. And now I can hang other more interesting things on the walls. I personally don't like the look of hanging things (art or sconces, etc) on mirrors , except perhaps in bathrooms..

  • 9 years ago

    We had a volcanic rock fireplace that was built into the house; twelve feet long!

    We just had a false wall built over it and sheetrocked it and mudded and painted it.....and it only took up 6 inches of floor space.....get a quote from a contractor about covering the wall with 1/2 inch wall board and be done with it....take two to three days max, or even less with fast dry wall mud/texture!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the mirror wall we have. We had grills made and we love how it opens up the room and bounces light around. We have a beautiful acrylic console up against the mirrored wall and it reflects all the crystal pieces we have on it and the light fixture looks twice as pretty :)


    Ideabook 2 · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Love the grilled walls but what a hugh expense for a wall that size....that is a custom project high price high end look....

  • 9 years ago
    I don't know why mirrors have gotten such a bad bad wrap! Yours a lovely Mark. Here are some other examples.
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks lynartist ! I love them. Your pictures didn't post. I've had problems posting pictures today too Grrrr.....:)

  • 9 years ago
    I've had this problem all week! Hate to keep reposting!!! Feel foolish;)
  • 9 years ago
    WT....
  • 9 years ago

    It is personal preference. I agree that many of you have beautiful mirrored walls. For me, they would be gone as soon as I purchased the house.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My pictures didn't post... Looks like a few others have posted examples of framing them, but I'll post these here anyways.

  • 9 years ago
    Very nice Emily! I have noticed this posting problem all over Houzz lately:( ... how odd!
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks so much for all the great advice and photos of your beautiful spaces. I'll post a photo when we are moved in a decide what to do with THE wall. I love Houzz!!