Software
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Wallpaper the inside of this kitchen cabinet??

9 years ago

I've recently posted my kitchen update over in Kitchens.

One thought I had during the course of the remodel phase was to add some color to the inside of this cabinet. While I don't want to compete with the backsplash, I think it needs something.


I don't really want to display anything colorful here, as this is my only storage area for glassware. And I'm not opposed to just leaving it as is.

Any thoughts?





backsplash & counter


backsplash:

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    What a pretty space! I'd get some wrapping paper or construction paper in the color or pattern you'd like to try and just place/tape it behind the glassware and see what you think before you commit to painting or papering.

    I wonder how mirroring the back would look? It would add to the sparkle of the glassware and not compete with or detract from the back splash.

    jpmom thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago

    There are some very pretty removable wallpapers. I would go that route and if you change your mind down the road no hassles.

    jpmom thanked roarah
  • 9 years ago

    I hadn't thought of a mirror. Hmmm. That's worth considering.

    I didn't realize there was such a thing as removable wallpapers. Googling now.

  • 9 years ago

    I'd do like Maddie suggests with a fabric. A good wallpaper might be too bright--it's a mellow space and COLOR could be jarring. But something with texture like a coarse linen might be nice.


    And whether you do wallpaper, paint, fabric, or wrapping paper, the cardboard means you aren't stuck with it.

  • 9 years ago

    Maddie - that's a great idea. I could use foam board from the craft store ???


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It is a lot of glassware, but what type of wallpaper won't compete with the tile? Would you consider some kind of porcelain serving pieces for the bottom shelf instead? Something delicate with a touch of color that works with the MOP?

    jpmom thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    May - I know what you mean. The last thing I want to do is take away from the wallpaper. The glassware on the bottom shelf are ones that we use daily. I'd hate to move those, just from ease of taking in and out.

    I'd be willing to change up the middle or upper shelf.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'd leave it as is. I think the introduction of more pattern is going to compete with the backsplash and granite. Let the cabinet be a place for the eye to rest - although if it were mine, I'd probably relocate the glassware and display some simple pieces of cream-colored, hand-thrown pottery. At the very least, I'd cluster the glassware closer together and add in some pottery, but would definitely keep it neutral ... sort of along these lines:

    ETA: My photos don't seem to be posting lately. Here's a link.

    jpmom thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Your tile is so pretty, I really wouldnt want to compete with it, so working with that element would be key. It might be fun to take pictures of the backsplash and play with those images for using behind the glassware. The images could be used as is, or modified through an app like watercolors or something.

    jpmom thanked localeater
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You could scan a square of your tile and through photo shop make it to a print size that would fit your cabinet and mount that to your foam core. You would then have your backsplash in the cabinet too


    makw sure you duplicate the tile scan layer and not stretch the scan to fit to keep the scale correct

    jpmom thanked Kippy
  • 9 years ago

    I would do antique mirror.


    jpmom thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    You could do a solid color on the cabinet back. Maybe a metallic-y bronze color that is vaguely similar to the countertop? You could use posterboard spray painted with metallic spray paint.

    jpmom thanked graywings123
  • 9 years ago

    Here are a few examples I found. I think a cream on cream, or subtle cream and light grey pattern would be gorgeous. Note in the third photo, the rather busy linear marble backsplash with the pattern wallpaper - I still think it works sine it's the same color palette.

    Also, off topic, I notice a white slipcover sofa in the background corner of one of your photos. Do you mind sharing the make/manufacturer, and any regrets going with white? Do you have kids? I desperately want white slipcovers but DH thinks it's a crazy idea with kids and a dog.

    jpmom thanked rebeccamomof123
  • 9 years ago

    For some reason, wallpaper doesn't turn me on. How about propping up a colorful (solid color) platter or two behind your glassware?

    jpmom thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I need to play around with some platters and some subtle color. I don't want to commit to anything huge yet.

    Rebecca - my sofa is wonderful. It's from Lee Industries - their "Coverall" collection. The covers come off and they are completely washable. We've had this slipcover set for about 8 years. The couch for 13 years. We originally purchased it in a dark rusty/red color, but when we moved to the mid-west from the East coast, I wanted a change. I just chose a fabric and they made the new covers and shipped them to me. I can't say enough about Lee's furniture.

    We have two boys and a non-shedding dog. The covers wash beautifully.

    I was looking at papers like the ones you posted…. thank you for sharing!

  • 9 years ago

    Your glassware would pop more if there were something behind. I vote with the mirror crowd.

    jpmom thanked arcy_gw
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think the wallpaper examples above are gorgeous, but they are all shown with mostly white or cream pieces on the shelves, not all glassware, which I think would make the paper look even more bold. I still think mirror would be perfect and would certainly look at the antique mirror because it would complement the colors in the back splash, but it might not be a current enough look for you.

    jpmom thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago

    I too am voting with the mirror crowd. I did it and love it! I think you would too.