Software
Houzz Logo Print
jolene_escalante

Wood look tile

9 years ago
I know the question has been asked.l, but I can find it. I know the cons vs pros on paper. This is a southern CA home so temperature is not an issue. We have kids and dogs and we are on a slab. We are leaning toward wood look tile for function and durability. Does anyone have it and does the home seem louder because of it? Sound is my main concern vs. an engineered wood floor. Thanks

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I don’t think there will be a huge difference but in either case area rugs will help with sound absorbtion

  • 9 years ago
    I had wood look tile installed in my entire home in June last year. It replaced laminate in the living and dining rooms, tile in the kitchen and carpet in the bedrooms. I think the house has a bit more noise and echo, partly because we have very high ceilings throughout, too, but not much and we are used to it now. We only put down a few area rugs. We don't even have any drapes. I absolutely love the tile. Beautiful, durable, easy to clean. I love everything about it. We are on Southern California, too. It's odd, too, because I don't find that it feels all that cold to me. The laminate we had before felt just as cold. It might bother me more if we lived in a colder climate.

    I've read that people think it is hard to stand on - it doesn't bother me at all. I do have one of those gel mats in the kitchen, though. For me there is not one downside.

    Just make sure you get a good installer. We are on a concrete slab, too, but we ended up having to get it leveled and cracks sealed, which added a few thousand to the installation. Well worth the price, though.

    Good luck!
  • 9 years ago

    I'm rural in an area that gets lots of rain and occasional snow. I also have an Irish Wolfhound. Huge, muddy paws. Have plank porcelain tile and love it, best decision ever. Proper substrate prep and an expert installer are required.

  • 9 years ago
    We have high ceilings. One story no drapes as well. Thanks would love to see photos!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes you will have more echo from tile. Use area rugs to help minimize the echo.

  • 9 years ago
    Here is a pic of ours. Not a great pic, though. I don't think it does the floors justice. Keep us posted as to what you decide.
  • 9 years ago
    Pretty thanks. We are bringing the process of looking.
  • 9 years ago

    Holly what is the name of you tile? I love it

  • 9 years ago
    We just installed wood look tile in our new build and we love it. We have two large golden retrievers and they would have destroyed hardwood but this is stands up so well. This picture is from before we moved in and we now have area rugs down in the great room/dining room and gel mats in the kitchen.
  • 9 years ago
    Did my entire condo with wood tile and love love love it! I don't notice more noise. My neighbor with laminate makes more noise.
  • 9 years ago
    Are you all happy with the length you chose and what length did you choose? The popular seem to be 24 and 36. I think 48 may be too hard to lay. Any thoughts? The roof leaked in the recent CA rains so floors will be put off until roof is done:(...I have a little more time to gather info.
  • 9 years ago
    Sorry, just saw this thread again. Cinar is right. Our flooring is daltile, acacia valley, I think ridge is right, but not positive about that. I just love it!
  • 9 years ago
    We did 36". Saw samples of the 24" and it was too "broken up" for me. The flooring company suggested we not do 48". More problems with lippage, etc. with that length. I think 36" is just right and looks the most natural.