Software
Houzz Logo Print
ltownsduran

Need help with finishing a living room! Part Two!

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So since my first post a few weeks ago I have changed some items around based on advice I had gotten. I was hoping to update the first post but according to Houzz I am unable to so thought I would start a new one with the updates. This was the original post: ([https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-with-finishing-a-living-room-dsvw-vd~4378049[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-with-finishing-a-living-room-dsvw-vd~4378049))

I bought some pillows for the couch, a new rug and my coffee table. I was rethinking the coffee table but walked into a "going out of business furniture store" and found it at a fraction of the cost I was looking to spend and it was the exact size I wanted so I took it as a sign lol. And I do love it so I am happy with it. The rug I am also thrilled with and will be getting a matching one for the runner in the hall. I decided to go with green as my accent color as the walls are also a greenish gray and I have wanted to use that color as my accent for a while. I also turned the sofa around. So - here are my updated thoughts:

1. Curtains - I am going to lower the curtain rod about a foot so it comes even with the headers over the windows. I can't decide on getting a green curtain that ties in or going with an off white. I have thought about plantation shutters but I am not a huge fan of them and not sure if I would like a wall of white. (last picture when I had the couch sitting differently) Thoughts?

2. The TV is being moved from on top of the fireplace to another spot. Based on some advice in my first post, I think am going to get a console on the long wall by the secretary. Once I have the console I will move the secretary around to another room or area if it doesn't look right with the console.

3. Still looking for a chair. Can't decide on a smaller chair with wood arms in an offwhite/beige or a green or if I should go with a comfier larger club like chair. Thoughts?

4. And the fireplace wall and how to style. Once I move the TV I am thinking about getting a mirror that has some interest (like an odd shape or a grid system...). But how should I style the top of the fireplace and top of bookcases as well? Anything can be moved around and the pictures will be moved to some other area likely.

5. Still need to buy lamps, maybe end table, bench somewhere.... Any ideas on the small touches??

Once again - thanks everyone for any advice.

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Definitely keep the sofa with its back to the stairs. Do NOT lower the curtain rod, it will make your room look and feel much shorter. If anything, opt for ceiling-height curtains, which will draw the eye up and make the room feel taller. Please, please don't lower the curtain rod.

    I can tell you right now that you're not going to like my next recommendation, but it comes from multiple philosophies, so I'm going to make it: Try living without a chair for a little while. If you find one you love, buy it. If you don't find one you love, just live in the space for a while.

    We have a tendency to go out and "furnish" a home. Then, when we move or when our life changes, we have a house that doesn't suit our lifestyle. Try living with what you have and finding out if you need something different, rather than acquiring items to make your house look like a model home.

    This room is great with the sofa facing the fireplace. It has open space, letting the furniture feel like it can breathe, and it has some great style pieces. For now, you could put the bench under the window, and figure out the placement of the TV. Once you've done that and lived in it a little while, I think you'll get a better idea of how you want the room to look and feel.

    ltownsduran thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Love the new rug. I agree with Lydia about the curtains. At least raise the rod high enough that the curtains you have now just touch the floor. I would stay with white curtains. As for the TV it's great that you are moving it. Start with a piece of art for over FP, it should be approximately the size of the fire box. It may take some time to find something you love, just don't run out and say I need art. Look around your area at galleries, etc. You will need chairs because right now it would be difficult to watch TV from the sofa. There are so many items on the shelves I don't think you need any more on top.

    ltownsduran thanked jck910
  • 9 years ago

    Lydia - thanks for the suggestions! I have actually lived in the house for close to three years and I have never really liked how I originally had the room so ended up getting rid of everything a few weeks ago to start from scratch. The ceilings are cathedral so the room is pretty open feeling. My concern with the curtains was that it looked strange with them so far above the window but I may just leave them now! I agree on "feeling" a home first. The first set of living room furniture that I just sold was one I rushed out to buy and regretted never taking the time to learn the room. I do think I need a chair as the room is more of a formal living room but does get use whenever we have family over to watch a movie as it is the only room where everyone can comfortably watch. I just wasn't sure what type of chair would look best with the sofa. I am just struggling to put the "finishing touches" on the room which always seems to be my Achilles heel! Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

  • 9 years ago

    jck - thanks for the suggestions. I think I will leave the couch as is in front of the fireplace and will move some items around to lessen the amount of items on the bookshelves.

  • 9 years ago
    just wanted to say I love your sofa! mind if I ask where it's from?
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Mary! I actually bought it at a local furniture store in Raleigh, NC but it is a Craftmaster. If you search online for Craftmaster Furniture they have a link where you can look for stores that sell their furniture. It was item #746350

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Showing this design of ours, with a built in wall unit, might help your dilemma. Take note of how we decorated the shelves.

    Simply High Line: Living Room · More Info

    Simply High Line: Living Room · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    So I have made some additional changes over the past few weeks. I am happy with the items I have added but still trying to put the finishing touches on it. So here are the new items:

    1. I added new curtains in a soft velvet/chenille fabric that is the same type of fabric that is on the couch. They are a bit darker than the sofa but match the pillows on it perfectly.

    2. We moved the TV from over the fireplace and put a mirror there. I have a very hard time picking art - my husband and I never agree so I am going to go with the mirror lol.

    3. Also added some wood tops to the bookcases and I am still working on finishing up the left side - happy with the right side.

    Here are the items I am still struggling with:

    1. Fireplace mantle with the mirror. Thought about maybe hanging a wreath? What would look right to soften the mirror? Also thought about adding sconces to either side of the fireplace where the wall goes in?

    2. Tops of the bookcases.

    3. Long wall where the secretary is. Thought I may move the secretary to the middle of the wall and add a chair?

    4. Still need to style the coffee table


    Appreciate all advice!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Very nice! I really like what you've ended up with. I hope you enjoy living in your space!

    ltownsduran thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    Lovely room. I love your sofa and rug...and the wood on your bookcases is a very nice touch:) Unfortunately I liked your white curtains better:( Your new ones look a bit heavy and the color is slightly off...but it could be my monitor.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is an elegant, yet inviting color palette -- there is a sense of nostalgic romance to the room that blends with a contemporary attitude. Very nice.

    I saw that gorgeous wall next to the sofa in your second picture and immediately thought of several nostalgic, romantic art pieces for the space -- The New Hat, Midday Tea, Phonograph Days, and/or Ending the Day on a Good Note, all of which are available as original paintings -- http://bit.ly/2jVB27K -- as well as prints through Great Big Canvas on Houzz -- http://bit.ly/2kAA5Pk (scroll down) and at Great Big Canvas itself -- http://bit.ly/2mf6YAQ




    ltownsduran thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Coffee table style idea...

    Have you ever thought about adding a slim sofa table for lamps and such...

  • 9 years ago

    Steve - I will take a look at those sites - thank you.

  • 9 years ago

    kjoy1 - appreciate the input! The picture with the curtains was taken at night and for some reason gave the curtains a rose glow. They aren't the exact color of the couch but match the throw pillows on the couch and a chair I ordered. The couch looks lighter in the picture but is a bit darker - the white curtains just looked off in the room as the couch is so formal and the curtains were casual. I always find it amusing how different the rooms looks in person to pictures! Thanks for the photos as well - that is so close to my room and I love the sofa table behind it so may need to look for one. Thanks again.

  • 9 years ago

    Artwork...zgallarie.


    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Kjoy1-that painting is nice. I actually have a zgallerie near me so may need to make a trip. Thanks for the suggestions - you seem to have a knack for finding rooms that are similar to mine!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH