Software
Houzz Logo Print
janicekdavis

White or cream?

9 years ago

I am mildly losing sleep over what color cabinets to choose.

We chose cream but I'm seriously considering white. Here's the thing, every kitchen I've ever been drawn to has been white. The model we looked at is cream so it's hard for me to picture white. The reason I was drawn to the model may be because I could actually see it. Still when I google pics I always look at white. When I go to friends houses, it's the white kitchens I love. But this will be a huge leap and I don't want it to end up looking ultra modern and trendy.

If we decide to leap to white, does the cambria we picked go with the white or should we pick something else? Would you pick white or cream? We did a moonmist blue paint and we are still debating on the tile though it will probably be that cream/white one up top. I want to decorate more in the coastal style and I don't want it to look too modern.

The bottom two tiles are pool tiles but give us an idea for something we looked at already.


This is a picture of the model with cream cabinets and the cambria we love. But it's got a lot of brown to it and I despise brown for the most part. We picked a moonmist blue paint.

Comments (25)

  • 9 years ago
    White
    Janice thanked barb
  • 9 years ago

    If you keep loving the white, go white instead of the cream. White cabinets won't go out of style.

    Janice thanked Darzy
  • 9 years ago

    White, it's what you love, so you won't go wrong with your choice. I'd choose a classic white subway tile for the backsplash too. These choices never go out of style. If you are not putting in hardwood floors as pictured, be very careful with what you do out down, no pinky beige flooring as that will ruin the look.

    Janice thanked RosemaryR
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    White. Even new cream colored cabinets can look "old and off-color dingy" -- especially compared to white -- and, as Darzy points out, white will not go out of style.

    to prevent your "white" kitchen from being too stark or jarring a white space, find a place to add some color you truly enjoy. If you have an island, consider painting the base of the island a shade of your favorite color -- perhaps the color you find yourself most often deciding on for other furniture and furnishing and accessories. Alternately, you can paint one wall -- perhaps the end wall if in a rectangular kitchen -- a more bold color while using a more neutral color for the rest of the walls.

    Janice thanked suezbell
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks. What color cambria would you go with? Would you keep the backsplash? Finally, which panel do you like?


    Middle is out, it's cream and glazed.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    These all look creamy on my screen. You have to take a sample cabinet door to the cambria showroom and put these choices up against each other. I am a bit afraid you have creams and then grays and that isn't going to work well. Maybe they are more white in person. All these cabinet faces are traditional. Can you get a plain shaker style door? that would be cleaner look. Raised panel are especially traditional (one on far right) so the only one here that is even marginally OK is the one on the left. From Cambria, check out London Sky. Best one for "white" cabinets and closest to a Carrera marble look, if that is what you are looking for. Then you do plain subway tile, but that can wait. First figure out the cabinet color, because those are probably the fewest selections, then the countertops, then the flooring, last backsplash and finally wall color. You could do a cobalt blue or darker gray island base cabinet color if that is available to you. Just depends on that cabinet color. Get a piece of poster board that is white. Compare it to the cabinet color. I have a feeling this is a lot creamier than you think. Ask for pure white.

    Janice thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago

    Those those are all cream. They have the same door in white too.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would stay away from the raised panel as it makes the kitchen feel very traditional. I would suggest either of the shaker styles are much more of a classic look that won't date. I agree with everybody else, go white. Cream will feel dirty and if you want the coastal vibe white will give you that look.
    Janice thanked Leigha Pidde
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    that's a relief. Go white - pure white. Shaker style door is the way to go to stay out of grandma's kitchen! haha.

    Janice thanked Flo Mangan
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think you have a grayish floor tile? I think that will be a problem with cream and it also is rather trendy and likely to become dated and limit you style wise. Consider a light wood to midtone wood floor. This is what I am seeing in the new designs on the design blogs I follow. It is much warmer and will go with either cream or white:

  • 9 years ago

    Can't/won't change the floor even if it's trendy which you may be right. The floor has brown and gray in it. But I am learning that I like cool colors over warm which helps me with picking stuff now that I realize my lane.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think all your finishes, in that first photo, will continue to go together, and with the white cabinets you get more contrast and a cleaner feel. Switch to white and party on!


    (p.s.) I like your flooring. fret not!

    Janice thanked acm
  • 9 years ago

    The quartz you posted at the beginning works with both white and cream. As for the small mosaic tile, I like the cream one better than the blue. For the cabinets, if those three are the only choices you get, I would pick the middle one, but without that black line around the perimeter.

    Janice thanked printesa
  • 9 years ago

    We chose the raised white with Britanicca cambria for the island and a lighter shade called Newport for the counters. I'm excited!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Do make sure you go to the fabricator when they are getting ready to lay out your island and perimeter countertops. The Britanicca has large veining and it is hard to put seams in that don't look kind of unusual. Careful with that and it will look great.

  • 9 years ago

    This one will not have seems. I wouldn't get it if it did. But thanks for the tip!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    White always looks great doesn't go out of style!

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks!

  • 9 years ago
    We went with white! We close soon and I'm so happy we did white!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Great! The white and your island countertop look fantastic. Beautiful.
  • 9 years ago
    Wow, so much better than the model kitchen!
  • 7 years ago

    Janice - did they do a double thickness on your island? I am choosing Brittanica too and it's only 3 cm thick! Your kitchen is beautiful!!

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks!
    It’s not all one thick sheet. The sides are just wider making it look double thick. Same look without the cost of what I would imagine a double thick piece plus be.
  • 7 years ago

    What did you use for your backsplash?