Software
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

What to do with middle cabinet - uneven ceilings/crown molding??

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We are trying to finish up our kitchen remodel. My husband is DIY'ing it, so please be kind ;) He's done tons and tons of projects for me over the years, but never a built a full kitchen, and I think he's doing a great job. That said, I'm a perfectionist and things like uneven crown molding bug me lol. But I'm focusing on all the positive!

The cabinets on the right are closer to the ceiling than the ones on the left. The cabinets themselves are the same measurements. It's the ceiling that sags a bit in our older home. Well, we didn't realize this initially or I'd probably have done a design that didn't go to the ceiling! He hasn't made the cabinet for above the microwave yet, but did put up the rest of the molding today. It would have looked really weird to do molding straight across that section because of the differing heights. So we are thinking we need to do something different with the cabinet that will go above the microwave section to make it look intentional. We are going for a simple craftsman style so an elaborate decorative piece there wouldn't really work, but it may be our only option. I was thinking maybe we could build that particular cabinet over the microwave out a bit further so that you don't notice the differing heights. What do you guys think of that idea? Would it look weird to make that cabinet stick out further? Maybe not quite as far as the microwave itself, but perhaps an inch or something.

And, ripping this out and starting over is not an option, so please don't suggest that ;) Would appreciate any other constructive input though! Thanks :)

Comments (6)