Software
Houzz Logo Print
andria564

Microwave over cooktop help

9 years ago

I am about to order new appliances for our kitchen. We bought a completed house from a builder about 10 years ago with base grade GE black appliances. I am going to be replacing them with stainless. I originally was going to go with the same configuration that we have now but wanted to ask your advice. I don't love the microwave over the range look and I think it looks even weirder having it be over just a cooktop. I was just planning on switching the appliances and maybe (currently a marital dispute) painting the cabinets and switching out the hardware, so no major construction. Is there an obvious place I could move the microwave to that I am missing? If so, where and what would you do for the hood, just an under cabinet vent? The current microwave vents to the outside so that piece is already installed. We have the layout attached (the one that already has stainless) just in the darker cabinet color with black appliances currently.

Comments (29)

  • 9 years ago

    My first thought is perhaps you could alter the set up of the upper cabinets on the wall near the sink. Maybe move the existing cabinets that are above the microwave now and slide over the cabinets that are there now. Without measuring I can't say exactly how it would work out (perhaps you'd have to lose one half of those upper cabinets) but I am sure you could figure something out.

  • 9 years ago

    Do you think your island could be modified to accept a microwave drawer?

    Are you a big user of the microwave? Have kids? If not, would a small counter top version work where it appears you have a picture in the corner next to the pantry?

    Lastly, could the bank of cabinets be moved (or one of them removed) to the left and a shelf/cabinet installed in that corner? If you do win the debate about painting, it could easily be matched.

  • 9 years ago

    I would get an under-cabinet hood for where the micro is now and a small corner microwave for the corner next to pantry on the sink side.

  • 9 years ago

    The bank without the microwave, if the cabinets were moved down, wouldn't allow you to access the cabinets because of he counter and bar step up. We do use the microwave a lot I have a 14, 5 and 1 year old and we are always on the go. The island has electrical and room just not sure if retrofitting would work. Sometimes I seriously want to smack out builder for some of the less tasteful and useful choices he selected. Are there small enough microwaves that could fit hidden and be safe in a cabinet?

  • 9 years ago

    Are there small enough microwaves that could fit hidden and be safe in a cabinet?

    If you have standard 11-12" uppers, no. That's why I suggested one like this:

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-0-5-cu-ft-Countertop-Microwave-in-Black-WMC20005YB/203624087

    (although you can get a better price on it elsewhere--that's just the first link that came up).

  • 9 years ago

    Andria, what items do you store in those cabs above the sink? Is it possible to lose just one? If not, I think your best option is the counter top below.

  • 9 years ago

    Has anyone seen something like this done successfully? Like at heights that are useable?


  • 9 years ago

    How much do you use your microwave? I don't use mine very often, so I'd probably put it in the pantry.

  • 9 years ago

    Those three stacks never work well. You are either too short or too tall to use everything. I suggest a small countertop model on the counter next to the refrigerator.

    Unless you are putting a professional style range or range top, a standard hood/exhaust unit should attach the wall cabinet. I wouldn't mess with an under cabinet model. It sounds like you are already getting push back from DH on the scope of the work. Keep it simple.

  • 9 years ago

    He has me and my mom (my mom works in the tile industry so she spends other people's money well). We do use the microwave, all the time, which I am guessing is why he wants to leave it as is, although as long as I didn't take it away I think he would be fine. Would a countertop model look cheesy? I dont use the cooktop that frequently, we grill/roast a lot so I feel silly making this a sticking point when I use the nightlight on the microwave more than the actual vent fan.

  • 9 years ago

    No. A counter top model will not look cheesy.

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Andria! I have similar circumstances to you...I was gonna keep my cabinets and just do pull and replace with the appliances and countertops and backsplash. The more I looked, the more I realized I'd regret it if I didn't replace the cabinets. We're going with IKEA Brodbyn so its an affordable compromise. Anyhow, I currently have a double oven (only use the second oven 2-3 times a year) and microwave over our cooktop. I'm putting the new microwave and new single oven in the space of the current double oven, and a beautiful range hood over the cooktop. Would that work for you?

  • 9 years ago

    Unfortunately I use the double oven all the time since we have been crowned the party house. I cook in the top and keep everything else warm in the bottom while finishing up. The kitchen is totally not my taste colorwise, I am going to replace the appliances first to see if it will make it any brighter and paint the walls. However, we have all custom cabinets and they are really well made so replacing is out of the question. I am going to measure and check the panty, counter and drawer options to see if I can make them work. Our builder is building again on our street and I seriously have a what were you thinking list. We have a gas line 10 feet from the cooktop outside for the grill but he didn't put a gas top in and the cost to run a new line is a fortune because of where the kitchen sits.

  • 9 years ago

    I cook in the top and keep everything else warm in the bottom while finishing up.

    Then what about a stack of microwave, oven, warming drawer? Even if the warming drawer is low, the fact that you use it from the top instead of the side would make it easier than two ovens+ micro.

  • 9 years ago

    I took more pictures so you see more realistic views.

    All the rest of the bathrooms are white like the below half and one of the kids bathrooms



  • 9 years ago

    I would put the coffee adjacent to the sink and a small counter top or under cabinet mount in the corner adjacent to the fridge. (That said from personal use and experience)

  • 9 years ago

    Smaller models have lower wattages, can you live with that? I would move it to either side of the fridge.

  • 9 years ago

    Ok if I move the microwave to the right of the fridge, what kind of hood do I get for above the cooktop?

  • 9 years ago

    While you may get a satisfactory answer in this thread, consider asking that question in the appliances forum. There are a few specialists over there that could prove helpful in answering your question.

  • 9 years ago

    Definitely what sumac said. You have so much counter space that you can afford to put the micro on the counter. Next to fridge is the most functional spot. Coffee next to sink is most functional too.

    I put in an over the range micro because I thought I needed a built in micro. I don't. I'll be replacing it with a hood when it breaks.

  • 9 years ago

    Has any one done a microwave/oven/warming drawer unit like writerblocks mentioned?

  • 9 years ago

    Did you already replace the microwave and the other appliances? In one of the pics, they are black and in other pics they are stainless. Perhaps I am confused. If you already did replace, are you now willing to replace again? Before doing anything you might regret, could you borrow someone's small counter top microwave and test how you like using it while on the counter? Do you use your blender often? Could that be placed in the pantry and the MW go there? I understand the desire for an integrated look, but once a counter top model is tucked in a corner, you will hardly notice it. It won't look bad at all.

  • 9 years ago

    The stainless pictures our the sister model of our home. The black appliance pictures are what we have currently. We use the blender daily - health nuts at our house and the microwave - we both work crazy hours. Currently where the coffee maker is now the plates, mugs and bowls are with the silverware in the top drawer so it's like a station. I think not having it built in might harm resale since that is not common in this subdivision.

  • 9 years ago

    But a cool hood that is a focal point could really be nice for resale as well! How long do you plan on staying in the home?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    A 24" model could be built into the back side of your island or the frig side replacing the cabinet farthest from the frig with a 24" drawer under it.

  • 9 years ago

    The Sharp can also go in a stack with a warming drawer below it.

    Miele warming drawer with hidden touch controls and self close

  • 9 years ago

    As a third alternative many on the appliance forum have dropped using a micro in favor of a steam combi oven like one from Miele. This could go in your stack with a warming drawer below. Some don't use a regular oven very often once they cook with steam in a smaller faster heating cavity.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The least expensive option is to get a Sharp countertop MW and put it on a shelf in the pantry.

    Rangecraft offers many hood designs.

    An alternative to a second oven to keep party food warm is a good quality cooler like a Coleman. Works great for 'resting' meat for up to 4 hours. Commonly used by those who bbq brisket, ribs and pork butt for competition.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio