Software
Houzz Logo Print
shlish25

Need Help Designing Studio Layout

9 years ago

Moving into a new studio apartment. The main room is 13x16. The back wall is all windows. I am not sure how to arrange my furniture. Ideally I would like a separate bedroom area, divided off either with an actual wall or bookcases. I also need a space for a desk and storage space for a lot of books. Currently, I have a queen size mattress, a desk, a dresser. I will probably buy a couch, bookcases, bedframe, TV/entertainment center. Any suggestions on how to best utilize this space would be very appreciated!

Comments (30)

  • 9 years ago

    How high is the ceiling? Is there a way to have a bed loft?

  • 9 years ago

    Are you renting? Sounds like you might be able to build things....

  • 9 years ago

    I see that, of Darzy's... I assume placed along the window wall? Wondering if you, like me, dislike morning sun, disruptive to sleep?

  • 9 years ago

    Do you like working near the window, the view and air?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thank you!

    Darzy- I have to go back and measure the ceiling height, but I don't think it's tall enough to loft. I really like the picture you posted! But, I need to think about what to do for book storage (I need about 2 bookcases worth at least)

    everdebz- I am renting. And, yes, I do like working by the window. (Btw the windows face north), I was thinking to put the desk against the window at the back left of the apt and the bed would be on the right. Although I'm having trouble visualizing the best arrangement.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have to confirm what direction means: "back left" means seen straight ahead as you walk in the door? Thanks... where the living area? You could place your desk behind sofa/ at window.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Building? first you see the bed, and then you don't.. how long do you plan to live here? and Idk if this could work....

    MINI STUDIO ET PANS DE BOIS · More Info
    MINI STUDIO ET PANS DE BOIS · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everdebz!

    yes, that's what I meant by back - left. Also, I should have said - the windows are floor to ceiling, the entire wall.

    i will be here at least for the next 2 years, maybe up to 5 years.

  • 9 years ago

    In my 'studio' ideabooks are several room dividing options: bamboo, art screens, curtains hung from ceiling, etc... you could keep bed area away by the W/D maybe with 2 or more dividers.

    Studio · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Several height/ width/ colors are sold... some recommend painter's drop cloths...

    Muslin Hanging Room Divider Kit, Wheat, Small A - 8' H X 3' to 4'8" W · More Info
    RoomDividersNow Hanging Curtain Rod With Brackets, Brushed Silver, 108"-168" Wid · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    $309 - place 2 in L shape to make a tiny bedroom? Or 1 "wall" could be bookcases. I also picture this with something draped over: quilt, or fabric / art tacked.

    6 1/4' Tall Take Room Divider, Black · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    $180:

    GDF Studio Caleb Brown Wood Lift Top Storage Coffee Table, Oak Stained · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Framed Bamboo Lattice Panel, Square Opening Pattern · More Info

    Tan Enso Circle Noren Curtain · More Info

    38"x68" Bamboo Privacy Panel, Driftwood · More Info

    Julie Sh thanked everdebz
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Emptying mine out! there are many such screens/ the shortest might be 4 feet high. One is plain, and you can decorate/paint yourself.... good 'luck'!

    6' Tall Double Sided Works of Monet Canvas Room Divider, Impression Sunrise · More Info

    Julie Sh thanked everdebz
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you! I love the pic you posted of the bed enclosed by bamboo! Although, I would have to think about redecorating done if the dividers you posted- any ideas? And the coffee table you suggested is perfect! And any chance you could recommend a good drop leaf table?

  • 9 years ago

    Drop leaf for eating? Ikea is great, but I'd have to look.... could be kept in entry closet? for counter height, or regular?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That photo / not bamboo but doesn't matter / might've been re-used wood pallets ... you could enclose bedroom with curtains, with screens of your liking, etc... designating a private bedroom with 'walls' is more cozy imo.

  • 9 years ago

    Funny idk what DH is?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    30" square for 139.

    Winsome Wood Lynden Drop Leaf Dining Table · More Info
    Winsome Wood Hamilton Hamilton Double Drop Leaf Dining Table X-14149 · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    I think DH refers to double hung closet. But it's a closet.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Benches store under, or if you need extra seating: for LR visitors cushioned? 300... had similar look to other table you liked...

    Catalina 3-Piece Pack Dining Set, Light Oak and Gray · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Books - you think 2 tall bookcases? cause shorter ones might be ok as you said as dividers. I picture right half for bedroom / desk by window.

    Living area at left for visitors / entry view... ??

  • 9 years ago

    If you don't want books as divider, would a wall arrangement work / near tv?

    Houzz pro idea: "A wall of shelving, whether custom-built or free-standing, is useful and makes a design statement. Floor-to-ceiling shelving also works surprisingly well in a small space since one large, perfectly fitting piece makes a room look more spacious and less cluttered than multiple smaller pieces would."

    Kirkland, WA Living Room · More Info


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My Ikea bookcase shelf fell from weight -- steel frame?! 3 - 6 shelves. Lower if you have art for above.

    Q. is how much weight to you need for a shelf? Budget.

    Value Mate Steel Bookcase w 4 Shelves in Gray · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    To wall or ceiling / Ikea fabric is inexpensive:

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075295/

    Dignitet Curtain Wire · More Info
    Glenwood Residence · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    A houzzer suggested a smooth look over entire W/D wall, leaving room for entrance of course -- if you don't want bed on a shared wall, it could float a bit out from W/D you see what I mean?

    Glenwood Residence · More Info

  • 9 years ago


    Julie Sh thanked er612
  • 9 years ago
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everdebz for all the recommendations!

    And er612 - those are great floor plans? How did you design them?