Software
Houzz Logo Print
ktwdw129

What color to paint kitchen? Green backsplash, grayish quartz counters, and dark cabinets.

13 years ago
We are struggling with a paint color for our our kitchen remodel. We have dark cabinets, a grayish quartz, and awesome green backsplash tiles. I've attached the countertop color and the backsplash/cabinet pic. The paint color will carry into our larger room area as we're making it more of an eat in kitchen feeling, so it has to be something that works well in a big room. Any suggestions? I don't want something too boring, but fear a big color might be too much with the other colors at play? Love your suggestions!

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would have white walls - with a pop of green like the tiles in blocks, like pictures on the walls - this works well if you have large walls - not so well in smaller spaces though !
  • 13 years ago
    I like lowes Mink. Nice gray. Get samples and put up no more than 3 next to backsplash. Only way to know.
  • 13 years ago
    This is Benjamin Moore Shaker Beige.
    Janssen-Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Because your backsplash is so bold, it would be best to neutralize the rest of the space. Try Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter for the walls. It should work with the cabinets, backsplash, and quartz.
    Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter HC 172 · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I love this (good for you for going bold). I can see the rooms extending to bold brown white and green in variations of 70 - 30 -10 percent.
    Vicksburg · More Info

    Los Gatos Townhouse · More Info

    My idea would be to wallpaper the walls with a brown and white geometric or baroque pattern (More white than brown) - you need to break up the dark. (Is that a donkey grey zodiac counter?)

    all the best for this great project!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Could you post more photos of the kitchen? It's hard to advise on color when we can't see the rest of the room. I would advocate more of the green in the tiles somewhere, if possible. Will there be hardware on the doors? What finish? Are there other wood finishes in the kitchen besides the cabinets? Does this room open to another room, and what are the finishes in there?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I just have to say... much as I personally hate grey wall paint, that is the way to go here. You need to tone it down. Whites will be too stark. BTW, I wish I had clients like you that would let me do a fun backsplash like that!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I added a pic of the bigger room. We will move the piano and other things and put our now dining room table in that space. Lots of wall space for color. We will have simple brushed nickel hardware on the cabinets and the tile on the floor has hints of gray and olive green.
  • 13 years ago
    And here are a few gray colors we are considering.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the middle one - it has a warmer undertone than the one on the right (too blue, I think). The one on the left is too white. I would go with a little bit darker shade of the middle one, more like the one on the right.

    Will the dining area retain any of the yellow?
  • 13 years ago
    The dining room will not be yellow anymore. Whatever paint we choose for the kitchen will carry over into that room to make it feel more cohesive. Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm leaning more towards the middle one although my husband seems to hate the idea of a big gray room!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi---Great color... Wallpaper would look super in this space just so long as it doesn't compete with the backsplash, yet still be interesting. I like this one. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Ferm Living - Treebomb Wallpaper Purple · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here's a suggestion: how about painting the wall shown in your photo (the one with the tall bookcase) to match your tile? It's kind of recessed, and I know you would have to stop the color on the right on the outside corner, but I think it would be OK. Then you might consider painting the inside surfaces of the high opening (well, the 3 sides) in the same green. That would make that opening even more interesting.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oh, maybe I'm wrong - does that wall continue into the kitchen? Well, maybe there's another wall that could pick up the green. I like Natalie's idea of wallpaper, too - that could be less intense using something combining the gray and the green.
  • 13 years ago
    With rich brown wood work and bright green tile I see a more white white or creamy white than a trendy grey. A light neutral on the walls will let that green pop. Then use the green in accents like pillows and curtains. Maybe paint or tile a mirror frame to match the green.
  • 13 years ago
    If you go to the Sherwin-Williams site, they have a great tool that lets you try out colours. They even have a kitchen photo there that has about the same colour as your cabinets. I painted the white tiles in there your green and tried out different colours on the wall. Try it. You'll get a good idea what works.
  • 13 years ago
    Behr. In Silver Screen is a nice neutral gray. You might also like Cilantro Cream by Behr. I love the green tile and it will be a great color accent to pick up in accessories in your other rooms. I always like this green and a paler aqua for accents.
  • 13 years ago
    Homestead Brown - SW, try it in the dark brown cabinet kitchen/dining room in their colour visualizer. I used Outrageous Green for the tiles (and it paints the counter top too, but well... so be it). I thought it could be a good choice for you in stead of grey.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    "my husband seems to hate the idea of a big gray room!" ...... I'm with him on that one !!

    I cannot imagine anything worse than drab grey .. or equally drab beige, for that matter, as a companion colour to that fabulous bright green backsplash !

    Surely we need to know what colour / type furnishings (not to mention what type of inhabitants !) will occupy the adjoining space, before jumping (with gay abandon!) to the conclusion that the backsplash needs 'toning down' and we must use 'neutrals' to drag the space back into the realms of decorating 'conformity' ! :-)

    "What colours do you actually like ?" would be my initial question. My next would be what colours do you already have ... in artwork and furnishings that you intend keeping in this space ? I'd also be interested in knowing what natural light comes into this space and in having at least a vague idea of what you would consider your favourite decor style, how much of what you already have reflects that style ... and apart from wall colour, what other notable changes in the use of the space might affect your choices ?

    Being totally uninformed re any of the above ... but assuming you gave me a free hand to do as I pleased anyway (!!) ... I'd go for the shades of green (a tad lighter but with that same acid tone) idea, illustrated by the 'Los Gatos Townhouse' pic, that ASV posted, AND ... since I'm following an offbeat Italian vibe (!) .. a combination of the effects of the tile and the influence of having lived there for years, I'd also go for the wallpaper .. one one of the more distant walls .. the one posted by natalie or something similar.

    Still loving the backsplash and think the cabinets would look great in the same creamy tone as those in the pic mentioned. (Unless of course you weren't intending painting them)
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think a light to medium gray paint for the walls