Software
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_churan

thinking of black granite for a classic black and white kitchen & ss appliances

13 years ago
i love the look of polished black granite, will the upkeep be awful? I keep hearing about honed and leathered, but i love the shiny look of polished granite. please give me your advice.

Comments (14)

  • 13 years ago
    We got black pearl granite recently. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but to go with our flooring which we couldn't change, the black looked the best. I chose a slab that had some flecks in it to make it a little easier to clean, but I am constantly wiping it and polishing it. It's kind if an obsession, lol! It's beautiful, but it's definitely more maintenance. If you don't like wiping 10 times a day, it might not be the best choice! I don't mind wiping it, but my kids get annoyed when I tell them to take their hands off my counter! Ha ha!
  • 13 years ago
    I love black granite but if you will have under cabinet lighting they will be reflected in the countering more than lighter granite colors.

    I have it in a bathroom, every drop of water leaves a spot, it doesn't bother me, I just spray and clean it, but a vanity is smaller then a kitchen counter.

    The best thing about black granite is no etching or staining or sealing required.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Patricia,
    All of my clients who decided on black absolute granite polished/honed were extremely happy with the end result & haven't complained about any up keep. You can seal it once a year, you can also NEVER over seal (that's comforting). If you like polished, go with polished. I do agree with Judy when she says that it could reflect a lot of light, if you're worried about that go with a honed finish. Have you been to a slab yard to check out your options? you have a ton of options with black.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't have absolute black but a Uba tuba (it has some green, gray, and brown). It is great and I love it.
  • 12 years ago
    i have polished Black Pearl granite counters and they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I love them!! Easy to maintain! Use Weiman's Granite Cleaner. I use the spray bottle ($5.00 or so a bottle) and they sparkle and gleam!
  • 12 years ago
    The picture on the left shows a lot of gray, but in person, there's very little gray. There are a few specks of blue in it that is really pretty.
  • 12 years ago
    When the sun shines on what I thought was a cleaned black granite countertop, every dust speck and smear shows. But a quick wipe, and it's gone. Yes, a bit more maintenance for the clean obsessed.
  • 12 years ago
    I have black granite, too, and I am clean obsessed! I have a LOT of it to clean, but all I do is wipe with a damp sponge, and dry with a microfiber cloth. They come out perfectly...no streaks, smears, dust. I never use granite cleaner on them.
  • 11 years ago
    I have black pearl granite counter tops and while they do show more streaking and crumbs, it isn't hard to keep them looking great! I don't mind the little extra upkeep, because I just love how they look! It is a labor of love!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you like polished, then go with polished. You won't have any additional maintenance trouble with polished black granite. You can see some black granite countertop designs and learn more about how to keep them looking great http://aquagranite.com/black-granite-countertops-sophistication-kitchen/.

  • 8 years ago

    I have had black granite countertops for several years. I absolutely love them and everyone always compliments them when they see the kitchen for the first time. They do show the dirt but would you want to have dirt on your countertops that you can't see? Just a quick wipe down and they are gorgeous. I also have just redone my cabinets in white. I have been struggling with what color hardware to use. I have a total of 49 drawers and cabinets. I really want to do black with mostly handles but am worried that it would be too much contrast. I would love to hear from or see pictures from anyone who has done this and get your thoughts and opinions. thanks in advance.

  • 8 years ago

    @ Vicki Platt -- I'd start your own thread about hardware, rather than hoping for input on your question by tagging it onto a five-year-old thread. Plus, you'll get alerts when people respond.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you. I will do that.