Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_34231760

Need help!

9 years ago
Need help looking for a picture for this dining room. I don't like the picture that is on the wall now.

Comments (734)

  • 9 years ago

    Claire, the room is small and I think putting a big vase is going to be too much. If I was going to put a vase there it would have to be not so heavy and maybe a see through one. I'm still looking. Thank you!

  • 9 years ago


    How about these

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Claire, where did you see the ones in the first pic?

  • 9 years ago

    Flo and Beth and Claire, just got these Monstera should I use the glass vase or maybe the one Claire just posted? Don't look at the glass chips, of course they would have to be cut down also.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Bbbm27... you have Flo and Claire giving you good advice....a small vase will not help with your proprtions in your space....small spaces can have large acessories....a large Hefty vase would look great with your large new leaf stems.....You want drama you need to be open to new ideas and sizes to achieve it...Flo will guide you all the way....

  • 9 years ago

    Julie thank you, so the glass one your saying is too small. What size do I need?

  • 9 years ago

    Zgallerie

  • 9 years ago

    If your going to use the monstera you need a higher vase and you would have to raise your painting a little more

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Claire, I am going to cut the stems on the monstera so it won't be so tall. I'm not sure what size vase I should be using.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    OK, scroll up to the Camilla photo with the coffee table and the large glass vase and the same type Monstera leafs. That is the kind of vase you need. I like the clear. Copy that look and you will have a perfect piece. You will need to arrange your leaves so they work best with your art work shape and size. You will need to bend the stems a bit, just look closely at that picture. That is the proportion you need to be to scale with the art and your buffet. Just that piece on the left side will do the trick. Then we will see if you need anything else on top of the buffet.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hobby Lobby has many sizes and shapes of clear glass vases, or perhaps Michael's whichever is nearby. World Market has glass vases as well. Not sure what is around you. With the Hobby Lobby weekly 40% off one item coupon, you can get a deal too.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Put clear glass beads in the bottom so it is weighted down properly. Clear glass beads can be had for best low price at Dollar Stores! Yes, my source for glass balls, beads, sea glass, small rocks, etc.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I totally agree on the vase size but I really think you are on glass overload..I would go for a silver or brushed silver large vase..also don't worry about the stems being in front of art slightly layering is very important when doing acessories...

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Flo, looking at the Camilla photo its not very tall is that going to work? It looks like maybe only a foot tall but it is pretty wide, unless I am way off, which of course you know I am. Haha

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Julie, I will definitely layer the stems. It's funny they had the shorter stems but I thought I needed the taller ones.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    For your buffet, I would imagine you need a vase about between 5-8" high with a narrow mouth (stems stay put better with a narrow mount). Then the steam would kind of drape up and over the vase somewhat. The vase would sit about an inch or two inside the left edge of the art work. That is the "layered" part. You have to kind of eye-ball it when you are doing it. If you can find a slim, but wider vase that would work well too, since the top of your buffet is not real wide. Does that help. Yes you could use shorter stems. Sometimes cutting these things is HARD! I have a giant wire cutter, so I cut away, but not everyone has the vast set of tools I have. My Dad had an amazing and totally organized garage full of every tool imaginable for every task. I inherited them all. And believe me, those darn tools are so far superior to anything being sold today it is amazing. I could go on, but I'll stop. He taught me so much!

  • 9 years ago
    I've always known that Monstera Palms are usually quite tall with huge stems are those artificial and I still think your painting needs to be a little higher
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    What is the size of that small glass vase you have now? A new vase should be double the size....even if it has a wide opening you can secure them in place with clear stones...if you go with a solid vase any stone will help hold them in place...

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Flo, what's throwing me off is the one in that pic is wide. It's like a bubble bowl. I do have an old fashion wire cutter that's how I cut down the hydrangea to the right size. Flo the top of the buffet is 20" deep.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Claire, but I don't really think making the painting higher will look good I think it would look disconnected any higher from the buffet. Yes they are artificial.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    With a 20" width, you can go to 8" base or a narrow one. Just depends what you can find. The painting is hung perfectly so I wouldn't change that either.

  • 9 years ago

    Julie, I didn't buy that I had it. I don't plan on using it I was just putting the monstera in them so they wouldn't be laying around until I found the vase. The measurement of that vase is 8" wide by 12" high. I do have plenty of clear glass chips.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Here is one that is the right size and it is kind of chrome finish with a contemporary shape. Also little sketch of how I would arrange it.

    vases · More Info

    vases · More Info
    it is from allmodern.com 3' wide! Like that. A bit pricey for sure. But this is a look that would work really well too.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Flo, I'll try to find the right size.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    This is one of those things, where you just have to look and then you will see one and go "that's it!" lol

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Middle of Art should be 60-62" from floor....looks pretty close but hard to tell from image....so the vase is 12" high by 8" wide..so you need to be looking at a good size vase...the zgallery Luna vase is a good size to add drama but very expensive...I will keep my eye out....I really think the green stems on the buffet will look great....

  • 9 years ago

    Flo, I just found that same vase you posted above for half the price on Houzz. You like that better than the clear glass in the pic of Camilla? It's made by the same company of the boat tray on the buffet.

    Cano Rock Spout Jug, Small · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Great size and price thought I would pass it along...it is a cylinder shape but really would add drama!

  • 9 years ago

    Claire do you like the Cano rock spout above better than a round glass bubble vase?

  • 9 years ago

    Yes I prefer the roc cano because it's a different texture and bring out your painting plus it's too much glass as HIWE suggested

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Claire, as for the pic it's 6 and half inches above the buffet which is perfect. I'm probably going to order the Cano rock it's from the same company as the boat tray on the buffet. Thanks for all your help!

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Julie, I think I am going to order the Cano rock vase above.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It is only 11"x12" it will look to small...does it come in a larger size? If so you will need much bigger for the proportions to look right...will not look much different than what you have?

  • 9 years ago

    Julie can you see how close the table is to the buffet, the leaves are fairly large. I'm trying not to overwhelm that area. The width of the one that's there now is only 8" and it's glass. With the silver one it would be 12" wide so I think it would be okay especially since the leaves are vertically large as well.

  • 9 years ago
    hello @bbbm27 how is everything going
  • 9 years ago

    Hi Claire, been a little busy had company. I did get the vase in, been living with the tall monstera stem and definitely going to cut it down. I may look for a smaller size. I do like the vase, it's not crowding the area.

  • 9 years ago
    How did your company find your rooms and kitchen
  • 9 years ago

    They liked it, I cut down the stems.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Perfect. Turn the low dish so it is in straight line. It is probably a bit too long but I think it will be ok. Love the vase. Really suits your style well. You cut the leaves and shaped them just right. If anything, you could make them each so the leaves start at just above the opening to the vase. Can you just push them down in there a little bit?

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Flo, oh shoot I can't because I put a little glue to hold them still. Oh well. Flo I was thinking I wouldn't put anything else on the buffet, what I may do is fill the boat tray with seasonal stuff throughout the year. Thank you so much for your wonderful advice, it is greatly appreciated. How's our partner in crime doing with her bathroom? Lol

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    OK, I was just being me, picky! haha! It looks really chic I think. I like leaving the rest of the buffet clean. As for Beth, I think she has been grouted into her shower! Coming along, but seems she has had more than her share of issues to deal with. However, trust me, in the end it will be gorgeous because "that's what she does! Gorgeous!" haha.

  • 9 years ago

    hey Bess. I like that combo. and the pic looks great!

    Flo, not quite grouted yet! Just have to place my 3rd order for more basalt tile! This time for a lousy 4" extra piece! I mean, come on! oh well, it's not like they're leaving any time soon. That shower will have taken a full 8 days to do (today is #6). Then we still have the flooring to do! The two guys are really good and take their time lining up everything. Prob because they know how OCD I am.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank Flo and Beth, okay girl it's getting closer to the end. As Flo said once it's done it will be gorgeous. At least you have guys that are lining everything up, it will be worth the wait.....

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Flo and Beth don't you think that vase is to short it sits below the frame of the picture? I feel like the proportions are off a bit...love the concept and the green looks great In the space .....maybe that should go on the table instead..I think it would look great and just keep the low oblong dish on buffet...sorry to bug all of you..sounds like you are satisfied.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    no

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    opps hit return key accidentally. I meant no I think it is perfect. The "total look" is key and with the oversized leaves this is the scale total that works.

  • 9 years ago

    bbbm27 just bring the pieces a little closer

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Julie, but it doesn't sit below the frame. It must have been the angle of the pic. Yes, I am happy with it. It's a clean look, which is what I like and love the greenery. Thanks for your help.

    Thanks Claire I will bring it a little closer.

  • 9 years ago

    Your Welcome