Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lola_rola

Best linear direct vent fireplace (gas)

Lola R
7 years ago

Does anyone have any input as to the best affordable linear direct vent fireplaces? I've seen some brands that have flames that are small and don't look real. I don't need a huge flame but I would like a fireplace that not only looks nice, but that generates a good amount of heat and has a realistic, legitimate flame. I'm looking for between. 42 and 48 inch size fireplace. Any recommendations on brand would be great. So far, I've been looking at Regency and Travis Industries but am very open to see what brands are the best for this type of fireplace. Thank you so much!

Comments (35)

• T. J.
    7 years ago
    We are looking for a wood insert and one company we had out to inspect our chimney only worked with Regency. I went online to research the company and I wasn't impressed. Pay more and get worse customer service if there is an issue. Napoleon was a brand that kept coming up being highly recommended.
  • Lola R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks TJ. I read that as well. I talked with an installer who had recommended Regency, but I'm not sure if that's just because he's familiar with installing those as opposed to thinks they are a good product. I will look into Napoleon. Thanks for the recommendation

• Lisee Lee
    6 years ago

Hi Lola, did you end up buying a Napoleon? We are in search for a direct vent linear fireplace about the same size as yourself and have come across multiple brands (Napoleon, Fireplace X, Valor, Heat n Glo), Marquis). Dealers exclusively carry one or two brands and it is very difficult to compare because each dealer believes in the brand they carry and rightly so but difficult to get non-biased reviews. I've tried to search for review comparisons on Google without success either.

• lcswilcox195kw
    6 years ago
    We have a Lennox. It's midrange, price-wise and works like a charm.
  • rhett2014
    6 years ago
    I've been looking for a linear 60"-- 72" gas w/ direct vent which will be under an 85" Sony tv but wow, are they pricy!!! The electric linears are 1/4 of the cost but have a distinct "fake" look. I found videos on YouTube to be the most helpful & educational. I've shared a link below that should get you started. Pricing is a bit tougher to find unless you go to a site that allows you to build with your prefrences but I'm sure your local dealer pricing will be different. Nepolean, Montigo & Heat & Glo have decent sites. I'm leaning towards Nepolean due to better options, flame characteristics & warranty. I'll post more links if I come across any that are helpful. Looking for anyone else's feedback to help me seal the deal :) https://www.youtube.com/user/embersfireplaces
  • rhett2014
    6 years ago
    This site has many brands to choose from with pricing that should help with determining budget & get us headed in the right direction. http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Fireplace-Units?state=19273|19260|19256
  • rhett2014
    6 years ago
    Gosh, I hope no one was hurt. Thank you for the heads up!
  • Andrew
    6 years ago
    Rhett24, did you ever make a decision on the fireplace? We are looking to do the exact thing. One vendor that offers both Heat N Glo (Primo 72) and Napolean really was pushing Napolean because of service issues.
  • rhett2014
    6 years ago
    We haven't pulled the trigger yet. Leaning towards the 72' Mezzo because the Primo starts out at $8k & doesn't offer a blower. It's my understanding that is better designed for commercial use for that reason & also because of the cool to touch glass front.
    Since this is for our basement & we live in Ohio (brrrrrrr) the Mezzo seems to be the best choice for us.

The problem is we cannot find one on display that we can listen to with the blowers. Our dealer says the blowers are very noisy; I'm guessing because there are 2 blowers.

Still a dilemma but are no longer looking at the Napoleon now because there's not a dealer near us and no one in our area to service it. But if there was a dealer close I'd likely go with Napoleon. It appears everything is included in their pricing so at first glance they look more expensive than the Heat n Glo. By the time you add the ceramic back and upgrade the glass and the lighting kit, the Heat & Glo come out more expensive.
    Keep me posted on your results & much luck!
  • PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    6 years ago

For those folks planning to place a TV above a Gas Fireplace ( an extreme heat source) The Valor Heat Shift is the best option for solving the TV or heat
    sensitive objects above a fireplace. Some commenters are concerned
    with the 60% of the heat being emitted from the grille near the ceiling,
    But a circulating fan in the fireplace only pushes the heated air out
    about 2 feet or less and guess what, it rises right up to the ceiling
    and creates a convection current in the room. Valor created this system
    to mitigate heat above the fireplace opening, but in the process they
    created the super high efficiency fan that is not a fan. Unlike a fan it
    is totally silent, Unlike a fan it works every time the fireplace is
    on, Unlike a fan it works when the power is out as it does not use
    electricity, Unlike a fan it never wears out or breaks down and needs to
    be replaced, and it moves more air than any fan. As an extra bonus it
    cools the wall so much that combustible materials can now be installed
    on the wall right to the fireplace opening as well as combustible
    mantles at a 1 to 1 ratio above the opening. The use of a ceiling fan
    will do more to even the room temperature than any circulating fan in
    the fireplace.

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    6 years ago

Here is a Video that explains the concept of the Valor Heat Shift system that was invented by Valor two years ago.

• treg
    5 years ago

What did everyone end up getting? Travis? Heat and glo? Are you happy with your decisions???

• rhett2014
    5 years ago
    Our project got canned last year but we're back in the thick of things as fall begins here in Ohio. It appears as my research took off (again) there are some new technologies in linear fireplaces which weren't available last year so maybe everything really does happen for a reason ; ) It's so surprising how hard it is to get info on a brand that is
    1. Linear
    2. Provides ample amount of heat (Ohio's winters are cold)
    3. Will not damage TV
    4. Quiet
    5. Service in our area ( when there's a problem I want to be able to call someone).
    I am going after this look but I'm being told the wood panels will warp & paint will peel, even with a proper mantel. I don't ever to use metal or stone but i'm discouraged I might have to alter my entire design. Still struggling, anyone have any ideas/ suggestions?
  • Steve Kissner
    5 years ago

We went with a 74 inch napolean and absolutely love it. Also have a 82”Samsung tv right above. They have a great heat system which allows for TVs directly above. Go napolean. We bought the vector 74

• rhett2014
    5 years ago
    Thank you Steve. Btw- your project looks smashing! Are you planning to ad a mantel?
  • rhett2014
    5 years ago
    Also, did you add blowers? If so, did you vent inside or outside?
  • Steve Kissner
    5 years ago

The Napoleon lv 74 that I bought doesn’t have blowers. Also if you look at the top of the brick there is a a required vent that shoots all the heat out of. It has to be within a 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the top of the inclosure Of the fireplace. The fireplace works amazing it’s a remodel job I’m doing on my house here in Colorado. Just got installed two Weeks ago. So far so good . The phone app is amazing I can make it anycolor I want . Control everything right from my phone. It’s all Bluetooth.

• Steve Kissner
    5 years ago

Also it’s a direct vent system

• PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    5 years ago

For folks living in colder climate areas, and are interested in saving money and conserving resources they should be aware that the Napoleon Linear Vectra and Luxuria Models range from a P-4 Energuide efficiency rating of only 38.8% for the 38" model to 52.5% for the 74" model. This means that almost 50% to 60% of the gas that is paid for is wasted depending on which model is used. The 4 models mentioned are also rather high BTU units so the more gas that is burned the more gas is wasted. Just something to consider when choosing a fireplace.

• rhett2014
    5 years ago
    Great info, thanks for sharing Steve!
  • rhett2014
    5 years ago
    Home Hearth Sales thank you for the note. Do you have a suggestion of a linear fireplace which doesn't waste so much gas?
  • PRO
    Home Hearth Sales
    5 years ago

One possible option is the Valor Linear Models available in 40", 50", and 64" viewing areas that are rated without fan option at 66.5% t0 70% P-4 Energuide. depending on which unit is chosen. More information can be found at www.valorfireplaces.com There may be several other brands with similar numbers.

• rhett2014
    5 years ago
    Steve, how many inches is the bezel you added around the fireplace?
  • Dewayne
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So we've been looking at the Napoleon Luxuria models for our see through fireplace project. They are said to be zero clearance to combustibles so it might work with our exterior wall that's vinyl. And cool to the touch glass because they have a separate ventilation slit that is mounted above the fireplace close to the ceiling. Only problem is, the 50" see through model we were looking at costs $11k for the fireplace alone. Now... we're contemplating if it's worth spending that much money on that part of our home renovation. Napoleon Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace

We were originally looking at the Monessan Artisan but the sales rep lied and said there was a 60" see through, there's not. Only comes as a 42" vent-free see through model at roughly $3k. So then we checked the Boulevard 60" vent-free see through model... but that was $6k and felt cheap in comparison to Napoleon. So now we're trying to find a fireplace guy that's familiar with dynamic heat control and a fireplace seller willing to sell us a 50" luxuria direct vent see through... and it's definitely an uphill battle.

• jeremy stupin
    3 years ago

Bumping an old thread. Currently in the market for a 72-77” linear direct vent fireplace myself. Am cross-shopping the ortal, Napoleon, and Mezzo. The Ortal seems to have the best rep based on conversations with my local retailers (as well as the best-looking flame), but the lack of LED-changeable lighting and price may be a deal-break for me. Did anyone else cross-shop the Ortal w/ the above models? Thanks!

• ziecheck
    3 years ago

We've designed an entire wall unit around a linear Ortal fireplace, only to have the local dealer discontinue carrying it. We are having trouble finding ANYONE within a 100 mile radius that will sell, install and service Ortal and we live less than 100 miles from NYC. Go figure! If you find anyone who deals with this brand, kindly let me know!

• rhett2014
    3 years ago

Living in Ohio and and to find a showroom that has any linear units on display was a struggle. Embers Fireplace is in Colorado has several YouTube videos and they are chock full of info, most informative I've found. Good luck and stay warm.
    https://youtu.be/KVi5zB3kMRc

• Sb K
    3 years ago

http://www.countrystoveandpatio.com/

I am near Cleveland and this is where I was able to see the linear fireplaces in person.

We have the Napolean. There was a lot of back and forth (and confusion) about the TV height and the vent but it looks nice and warms the room.

• Janice Kenney
    2 years ago

We have just started our search. Replacing old heat n glo direct vent fireplace. We are getting old and most likely will sell within 5 years. I’m just looking for one I think looks nice, gives a lot of heat snd can put tv above. I know they are all expensive but does anyone know of a good entry level price point linear fireplace that will last at least 5 years! 😬

• Bill Shaw
    2 years ago

We are looking to mount an 82-84" tv above an approx 74" linear gas fireplace. What height have you mounted your TVs at in the above pictures?

• HU-489701181
    last year

local retailer in Denver is charging 2x suggested retail and then a bunch more for installation. I call BS. looking for an online place to buy a nice 48 inch linear.

• karen O
    last year

any comments on comparison Ortal vs Flare for 72" linear?

• pdxmom6
    2 months ago

Hi Karen. Were you able to find anything out about the Flare 72"? May I ask which you went with? Thanks.

• Elliette Harrison
    2 months ago

Pinkisonaptki6, and Karen.. any experience with the Flare linear? Also looking. :)