Software
Houzz Logo Print
stacy_perkins

What to do with dated cabinets?? HELP!

9 years ago
We really want to update our cabinets, but replacing them isn't in the budget. I have considered painting them. If I do this, I really don't want to go dark or introduce another color. Would a cream be the best choice? White? I really want to calm down the kitchen. I feel there is too much going on color wise. I didn't pick out the granite, backsplash or counter, and would have chosen something very different. We don't have it in our budget to replace the cabinets, backsplash or granite. I thought painting would be okay for now, but unsure what color choice. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you! :)

Comments (26)

  • 9 years ago
    If everything is in good condition, I would go with paint, too. The cabinets should match the white or cream in the backsplash. Changing the hardware will also help bring the kitchen a more current look. Consider removing the fan or replacing it with a more current fan if you find it useful. Add more lighting if needed. If you have the budget to replace the backsplash with something nicer, do the cabinet color to go with the backsplash unless the new tile is dark.
  • 9 years ago

    Will you be changing the fan and mini-chandelier lighting?

  • 9 years ago
    We will not be moving/changing the fan or chandelier. I just bought them from a high end boutique. The fan is not my favorite thing but much needed in my kitchen- which isn't ventilated well. I would love paint color suggestions- I will probably be using Sherwin Williams paint- color suggestions?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Nothing like white to brighten a space. That and allowing the light to shine in. You'll see an amazing difference without objects on the sill.

  • 9 years ago
    I really wanted to do white- a soft creamy antique white? Unsure. :(
  • 9 years ago

    Your cabinets are not necessarily dated but I think a warm off white paint for cabinets would look great. You have a nice countertop for contrast. What makes the whole look dated though is all the surrounding decor. I would clear all word art from the top of the cabinets and all knick knacks from the window sill. It looks cluttered now.

  • 9 years ago

    I am not big on painting oak cabinets but in your case I think it is the thing to do. One fun thing about old basic cabinets is that you won't feel bad about painting or trying any other changes. You won't be destroying an expensive kitchen and your end result could be really sweet. You will start by priming the cabinets and primer is just base white color, so you can start with that and see where you want to go with the topcoat. It is just paint, and if you are not thrilled with the color, tweak it a bit.

    I actually really like your backsplash - I have seen so much worse that a subtle neutral splash is really something to be happy about, especially with your style. I am not fond of black countertops, but again, not too bad and easy to work with. I love your light over the sink. I wish I had room for similar as I am looking for a pretty light to hang over my sink too. This hints at a French Country / cottage style which is similar to mine.

    I don't have any problem with the decor on top of the cabinets because it is large and fitting to your style too. I would probably reduce some of the countertop items. I would reduce the cooking utensils and knives - put in a drawer. I had similar to what you had but also do not have a ton of counter space so I cut back. I have a pie safe in my kitchen and put most of my "cute and pretty" stuff on top of that - then it is not in my way. I do have canisters, breadbox etc out, so I don't believe in empty counters and I have a few things around the window too:)

    Here are a few other fun ideas if you want to make some other changes. I can't see the whole kitchen so I just throw them out to consider if it is something you might want to do. These changes will be easier if you do paint. You might want to remove a cabinet and replace it with shelves or change it to an open cabinet with a plate rail. They have kits for the plate rails and there are some online tutorials about reworking a cabinet. I did add a plate rail, so if you want more info just ask. You can remove the panel from a cabinet and replace with glass. For a cottage look you can shirr fabric behind the glass. You might consider changing out your microwave to a wood hood and insert - painted to match the cabinets. This option is a little pricy unless you have the DIY skill to make the wood hood. I bought mine unfinished and stained it to match my cabinets. The hood, insert, and labor was close to $1000 which is pricy, but that is about the least expensive way unless you DIY. If you want more info on that just let me know. My kitchen is not painted, but I have done some of these things and my kitchen is in my "my pics" idea book.

    Here are some other inspiration pics:

    Glass or in this case chicken wire doors. A pretty way to display your decor that is also out of your way:


    Plate rail cabinet:



    I will post some more pics in a bit:)

  • 9 years ago

    Here are some stove hood ideas:





  • 9 years ago
    I would pick a pair or two of upper cabinets and have the panels cut out of the doors and replace with glass or frosted glass. Then put your collections of white pitchers and things inside to show them off, but not necessarily on the counters. That is one thing.
    I did that a few years ago because I was tired of the oak color cabinets but could not paint them. I think they turned out great and it really lightened the kitchen.
    (I covered the panels with tracing paper first to get an idea of what it would look like, then went for it)
  • 9 years ago

    Here is a pretty color combo with black counters:


    If the cream / antique doesn't feel right this is a pretty light sage green:



  • 9 years ago

    The only thing I would get rid of is the word 'dated'. It's just a word to get people to spend money. Your cabinets seem perfectly nice. I'd start with cheap fixes like new cabinet hardware and maybe a bit of decluttering. If you could afford it, what might be nice is some display cabinets that go up to the ceiling.

  • 9 years ago

    Painting your shaker style cabinets will transform the kitchen. What is the flooring like? I'm asking to get a better idea of a SW paint to recommend to you.

  • 9 years ago
    Try Benjamin Moore Sail Cloth paint - it is a creamy color.
  • 9 years ago

    If you have a single cabinet over your dishwasher, it can be removed and replaced with shelves. Use the upper shelves for decor and only put plates / cups on the bottom so you only have to stress one shelf for cleanliness. I also like the curtained sink base for cottage / French Country. You can see a bit in the first pic. Second pic shows a farm sink is not necessary for the look. It does require you can live with an curtain rather than cabinet - make sure it has an easy to slide rod:


    Another open cabinet:


    Another curtained cabinet /open cabinet and a pretty soft white with black counters.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would suggest painting your cabinet doors white and if possible/within your budget, I would also upgrade your hardware/kitchen door handles! New door handles will really liven up your kitchen's look overall!

    If you do decide to go with a cream coloured paint for all of your cabinets, it may end up looking outdated faster compared to white paint. However, you could combine a white paint with a darker cream colour for the lower cabinets, similar to what's shown in the photo below! This will give a very classy and elegant look while still being contemporary.


    Please update us with the results! Good luck!

  • 9 years ago
    The flooring is about the same color as the cabinets. We are going to be refinishing it within the next year. I just updated all the knobs and drawer pulls. I mention it because so many of you suggested I update my hardware. I did pop rubbed bronze pulls and cups.
  • 9 years ago
    See updated pulls and knobs. I did that last summer but so many of you mention changing them- I am now questioning if I made a mistake. They are oil rubbed bronze.
  • 9 years ago
    You mentioned SW paints, Dover White is a popular creamy white.

    Painting the cabinets would make your kitchen feel more open. From what I see in the pictures, a bright white might be too stark, so I think you're on the right path with the off-white or cream track.
  • 9 years ago
    I think those knobs and pulls would look fantastic on the cabinets after you paint them. :)
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Your knobs are fine especially for your style. I used the same on my basement kitchenette. For someone trying to "update" to current modern, large handles as in Jessel's photo directly above are what is currently the trend. However, your knobs and pulls match what I am seeing in your kitchen is a moderately farmhouse / country / FrenchCountry style.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes, I would say I tend to do a French Country style throughout my home. I guess I am drawn to it. With three busy children, it feels "homey" to me. I am decluttering the counters now as we speak- I have a lot on them in the pictures, I agree.
  • 9 years ago

    de-clutter
    Keep either the ceiling fan OR the light fixture over sink. Not both, they clash

  • 9 years ago

    the cabs look like white oak and look to be in decent shape. They would look great done in an ebony stain (I know, too dark. but it looks so good when done. here is what it looks like. I did my white oak window casing and sill in ebony). be cool to do the black on the bottom and creamy white on the tops.

    I agree about decluttering. save all the knick knacks for a book shelf somewhere. it will look much better without all the 'stuff'. leave the two baskets and the home sign. that's it. take all but one item off the window area. maybe get a few potted herbs in nice pots. putting glass in the cabinet next to the sink (upper) is a great idea.

    a friend of mine painted a clients oak cabinets, and put glass in a few of them. she did it in General Finishes Milk paint in Linen, I believe. they look really good.

  • 9 years ago

    Stacy, I absolutely love the knobs for the top drawers! I think they would look stunning with white paint. Perhaps adding a paint colour might help tie the entire look together with the knobs! They do add some character to the space and the first photo jhmarie included seems to give an extremely close, if not exact example of what the finished product will look like with the same knobs! Seeing a close up photo of them helped, I can definitely envision what the kitchen might look like after a bit of paint!

  • 9 years ago

    Your kitchen feels like a wonderful, warm and friendly place to enjoy with loved ones. I think painting your cabinets in a warm white, similar to the tones of the glazed pottery fruit you have on your island would look great....bring your pottery to SW and find something close. I like the idea of a couple of cabinets with glass inset (upper corner and to right of sink). Your hardware is great. I would raise the valence as high as you can over your window to increase light; as you declutter, maybe try removing the chandelier shades for an updated option. Have fun!