Software
Houzz Logo Print
lloydjustin

Dining room help

9 years ago
I need help. My wife and I disagree on the China cabinet. We do agree it needs to be modernized as it looks grandma-ish. We are going to replace the dining room table with a new one and purchase a rug. I feel the China cabinet crowds the room. The home is an open floor plan. I need suggestions, please! All opinions welcome. Placement of furniture, colors for China cabinet refinishing, etc. thanks!

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago
    It may come apart and you could use the bottom as a buffet. Possible paint it and new knobs/pulls. I would wait to do anything until you get your new table and chairs. Here is what I did for a friends.
  • 9 years ago

    Looking at your photos, I agree that it crowds the room. Your table does not appear to be centered under the light fixture, and if it was, it would crowd the room even more (the person with their back to the cabinet would not have enough space to push her chair back).

  • 9 years ago

    It does look dated , but replacing could be costly. It may look good refinished in black so it pops against the white. Or if it does separate just use the bottom. With a modern table and light fixture it will totally change the room feel

  • 9 years ago

    I would keep the china cabinet and paint it a gray like this one as seen @DecRenew Interiors and make sure you have large decorative dishes etc not too cluttered.. The table you have looks good, instead of purchasing an entire set you could always just update the chairs to something more comfortable and modern, some examples from Wayfair.com

  • 9 years ago

    No need to replace the table if you're going to leave the cabinet. They sort of go together.

    Add a rug and see how that helps the look of the room.

  • 9 years ago
    For some reason, I actually like your china cabinet, but just not located where it is now. Would it fit around the corner, where it looks like you have a small cabinet?
  • 9 years ago
    I know it's dated, but I still like it. :-)
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Scale of table and china cabinet are not working for the lovely details of your room. The house details are so lovely, that it makes the furnishings look a bit shabby. I would sell the set and purchase a table & sideboard or console as a replacement. Your old set will be perfect for someone's kitchen area.

    Table, chairs and sideboard/console don't need to be from one set. Pieces that work together instead of matching will be more interesting for your room. These items can be found at almost any price point.

    I would specifically look for a sideboard or console that is taller than 30" in height because of the height of your wainscoting. Note the height of the sideboard n the image below.


  • 9 years ago

    The room is small and it does overwhelm the space. What will your new table and chairs look like? It looks like the corners aren't really being used. Maybe eliminating the china in the back and adding furniture with height on both sides of the window for storage

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    A origional piece of artwork on either side of the hutch would really tie the whole room together. This is just an example of a couple works of mine to show you my style. If you are interested in a couple custom pieces of artwork for this room I would love to work with you!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

  • 9 years ago
    Keep the table, update the chairs, ditch the china cabinet and the tea cart, or relocate them. Look for a long slim piece to function as a buffet and center the table under the fixture.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Are we allowed multiple thumbs down?

    If you still "Like it", like it somewhere ELSE in the house. A bedroom.......filled with books perhaps and with a lower ceiling. It does NOT work in the dining space, my friend.