Software
Houzz Logo Print
natasha_sindoni

Help me update my kitchen

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago


I am thinking of painting the cabinets a light gray (no white I have four kids) maybe the island a darker gray. Some sort of subway tile on backslash and change granite counters. I can not decide on the granite. I love the ones that are mostly white and grays. Nothing speckled or outdated looking. The light fixtures will stay and appliances will be all stainless steel. I would love the kitchen to have a brighter more transitional look. The floors were just re stained so they also stay. I love how big it is. The granite is 98sq ft and backsplash 78sq ft. so it's a large area. I don't want to pick something that is too much but definitely has a wow factor.


Comments (83)

  • 9 years ago

    Your kitchen is very spacious you have lots of options to update it. I would make it look a bit brighter, change the furniture for different color, and would add bar ceiling with glasses.

  • 9 years ago

    Consider just painting the upper cabinets (where the kids don't bump into as much) the same color as your keeping room. Also keep backsplash tile simple, avoid trendiness. I actually like the backsplash a lot as is, especially with lighter countertop.

  • 9 years ago
    for me change the chairs
  • 9 years ago

    Too bad you are in TX. We are in Atlanta. I would definitely want something like that for the cabinets if I can find someone local.


  • 9 years ago
    I will show you the backsplash ideas.
  • 9 years ago
    Hardware
  • 9 years ago
    Hardware
  • 9 years ago
    If I paint cabinets it would be this gray with a dark gray island and perhaps even change the island lights similar to pic but in a chrome finish.
  • 9 years ago
    The lighter granite is huge step fwd. If you paint cabs, have pro do it as many, esp. Debowski Svcs, recommended. The quickie jobs you see on HGtv & DIY place emphasis on price & schedule, not quality & durability. I wouldn't rely on advice given solely by pics here. If you're not using CKD, I'd wait on bksplsh choice until you have cabs painted & new countertops installed.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Well, my wife does have family in Jasper GA. Including her 94yr old great grandmother whom I've never met.
  • 9 years ago

    Jasper Co., GA! Subject of one of my favorite songs! Reason I wouldn't rely solely on pics here is the color balance on everyone's screens is different.

  • 9 years ago
    Are you changing everything because you don't like your kitchen or because you think it's dated? Grey cabinets and white subway tiles will be dated in less than 10 years.
    Update hardware and backsplash then re-evaluate. If you must paint , do the walls.
  • 9 years ago

    I looked at the River White on a few slabs and not a big fan, I did fall in love with Sequoia leathered quartzite. Also known as fantasy brown and Terre Bianca. It does go with both colored cabinets but is this also a fad countertop ?

  • 9 years ago
    Leathered and polished available.
  • 9 years ago

    that is really nice. no, i wouldn't call it a fad. the colors are neutral enough. I imagine that stone is a big hit with all of the gray kitchen people. gray, white, brown , tan. you could go in a lot of directions w/that piece.

  • 9 years ago

    Our CKD uses leathered finishes a lot. If I didn't have enough Cambria quartz left from our K reno for the bath vanity, I'd be using leathered quartzite. Somewhat paradoxically, leathered is said to be as easy to clean as polished.

  • 9 years ago

    Now I am confused, the Sequoia is barely lighter than your current counter top.

  • 9 years ago
    It's really a big difference because my granite is the darkest shade of Baltic brown.
  • 9 years ago

    it's much better than baltic brown. hell, plywood is better than baltic brown!

    are you getting it?

  • 9 years ago
    Ok thanks to all of you who indecisiveness. We finally bought countertops today!!!!! Install in 3 weeks. Super White Quartzite.
  • 9 years ago

    Beautiful choice!

  • 9 years ago

    Natasha. it's not quartzite. its Dolomite. they constantly misrepresent that stone (I also have it). dolomite is marble's first cousin. not quite as bad as carrara, but it won't be like granite either.

  • 9 years ago

    Did you take a cabinet door front with you when you picked this out?

  • 9 years ago
    No of course not. Lol This was a total impulse buy! My husband had absolutely no patience that morning and said pick whatever you like and you better love it or else it will just stay the same.
  • 9 years ago

    Oh Natasha! That is too funny!!! Can't wait to see progress pics as you move along!

  • 9 years ago

    well if you had to pick one that's forever, at least you picked a good one! you read my comment about it not being quartzite, right?? do the lemon test on a scrap piece when they bring it to you.

  • 9 years ago

    Well at least if you find you don't like it with your wood, you can go back to your original idea of painting them grey. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos after it is installed.

  • 9 years ago

    Natasha did you photograph your slab and tape off the areas you want?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Would
    you consider a metal backsplash to compliment your wood cabinets? Stainless
    steel or aluminum backsplashes brighten up kitchen space and should work well
    with your kitchen, whether you decide in the end to paint your
    cabinets grey or leave them as is.


    Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Thin Stainless Brick Mosaic Silver/ Black Tile · More Info


    Eden Mosaic Tile Installations - Modern Random Mixed Tile With White Glass Tile · More Info

    Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Stainless Steel Bricks/Gray Basalt Stone Tile · More Info

    Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Long Random Bar Silver Pewter/Chrome Tile · More Info

    Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Silver And Chocolate Brick Mixed Aluminum Tile · More Info


    Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Black/Silver River Rock Stainless Steel Tile · More Info

    We are a premium online supplier of metal mosaic tiles
    for backsplash and other wall applications. If you are looking for ideas, feel
    free to browse our customer installations for metal backsplash ideas:

    http://www.houzz.com/projects/72838/eden-mosaic-tile-installations

    You can also check out our Houzz store at:

    https://www.houzz.com/pro/edenmosaictile/eden-mosaic-tile

    We offer the possibility to receive samples.

    Good luck with your backsplash design!

  • 9 years ago

    Oh my gosh. I absolutely would paint those cabinets. They are very dated. But, the first thing I would do is put windows in the exterior wall with the fridge in it (and move the fridge) because the biggest problem with this kitchen is it is a cave. It needs a view to the outside, and light. That angled wall is outdated, but it could be integrated into a wall redesign. You have a great basic footprint otherwise, so pulling off the wall cabinets and adding a great hood and open shelves would improve this kitchen tremendously! Hardware and backsplashes are a given.... you picked a great countertop to get the show on the road!

  • 9 years ago

    Sorry, I disagree with hartscottage. There is nothing wrong with the cabinets or the kitchen in general. In fact, with your new light-color countertops, it will be a joy to cook and socialize in. You might (in the interest of emphasizing the window) replace the Roman shade with something lighter.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Almost everything is being changed. Countertops come on Thursday and backsplash installed soon after. I will be refacing cabinets and putting panel molding on end caps and front island ship lap to give more character. The same carpenter will be doing a ship lap wall in keeping room to tie it all in. We got some of the new appliances this week. The cabinets will be Owl Gray BM and the island will be Whale Gray BM.

    Along with this project we are remodeling our master bathroom this week also.

  • 9 years ago
    Here is a pic with the kitchen with new countertops and backsplash. You all were correct that it would brighten up. Although I still will be changing the cab color.

    We also added ship lap look ( before paint) to island and keeping room.
  • 9 years ago
    Looking better still need final touches.
  • 9 years ago

    looks good. what did you use on the cabinets? did he prime and spray them? which paint?

  • 9 years ago
    They were professionally painted with lacquer.
  • 9 years ago

    nice work Natasha. how is the bathroom reno coming along?

  • 9 years ago
    Nice Natasha! Now sit with a cup of coffee and enjoy your kitchen.
  • 9 years ago

    Looks great! I'm glad you didn't go with the Kashmir granite. I got a sealed sample of that to test for stains and it stained horribly.


    Changing out the light fixture over your island will go a long way to updating the space!

  • 9 years ago
    Keeping room almost done. Ordered chandelier to replace fan and new pic fro back wall. I am really happy with the difference.

    The bathroom tile will be done this Friday so by next week everything should be complete.
  • 9 years ago
    I am in love !
  • 9 years ago

    wow! gorgeous. and fast work too! love the pendants

  • 9 years ago
    I see Darth Vader so I love it
  • 9 years ago

    Looking at your pic, I can't understand why you're in love w/ it. NOT! Bee-yew-tee-vul!

  • 9 years ago
    Glad you like it.
  • 9 years ago

    Gorgeous! Where did you put the microwave?

  • 9 years ago
    Microwave is now built in island.

    Bruce, I love it because it makes me feel happy. The brightness makes it more cheery. I did the best I could do with my budget and no designer. The kitchen is the heart of the home and it now reflects my positivity.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Natasha, I can totally appreciate what you just said. It's lovely! And I totally love the view outside your windows. Reminds me of when my sis-in-law lived in North Lake Tahoe.

  • 9 years ago

    Dining sets FREE DELIVERY Good Quality Furniture

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!