Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlysc

Is this couch up to date?

13 years ago
Moving in a few months, and new house has a great room. I want to go with a greige couch. This couch is 127"x127", down pillows, cushions are very comfortable. Couch is 4' deep! Don't want to make a mistake. I could switch out pillow, to change look. Couch is not a bargain. Room will get a lot of use.

Comments (39)

  • 13 years ago
    I like the couch just don't like the pillows. I think they are too small and too many.
  • 13 years ago
    Great couch, but It is really big. How big is your new room and what is the layout?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This mix and match is very on trend in France right now - (mixing patterns). I also like the fact that you can move your cushions around to adjust them to your back so I personally like these types of cushions
  • 13 years ago
    Mamao- the room is about 18x18. Two sides are open to nook and kitchen. Other two sides are windows and fireplace. I have one awful pic I will post. We are replacing carpet with wood floring. I think mantle needs to be changed? The ugly cavity needs built-in. I will post outside of space so you can see windows. The couch back would face windows and nook or nook and kitchen. I also have a rough foot print of space I will post. help! Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    Pattiegoode, you have a great point, that's why I'm undecided. This is a huge purchase! it is made in North Carolina and fabric is also USA. The cushions are foam core with down. It is 40% off to make room for new merchandise. A very good sale. I really liked it until a friend commented that she didn't really care for it.
  • 13 years ago
    So, one more thing designers.. I apologize for mentioning cost but you would recognize value or not. Original price is 10,000. Yikes! But on sale, is 6,000. Includes 10ftx10ft couch, 48"sq ottoman and 10 pillows. Largest is 27". They look small in pic. A pieces can be flipped including ottoman. Couch is five pieces so it can be places in L shape or square.
  • 13 years ago
    One more pic
  • 13 years ago
    Don't worry about if your friend likes it. I asked way too many people their opinion during our remodel and everyone likes something different. If your friend has a great couch you love and her design style is just what you want then okay. I like the style, pillows not my style, but may be yours. Has a southwest feel. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I understand your dilemma: a quality couch at a great price is hard to turn down. But $6000 is still a lot of money, so if you don't love it, don't buy it.

    My personal opinion is that the lovely slate fireplace deserves something more interesting than a beige couch. However, I am also one who would sit on the floor until I found the exact right piece. LOL
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nice part of this couch is a very neutral color. I have found though the size of sectionals can hinder the homowner if they need to be shoved against walls and windows to fit. If you have alot of room this would be lovely, minus all those pillows. It is overkill . Less is more with accesories.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I have found with sectionals that the corner is uncomfortable and awkward to sit in. Maybe consider two sofas and a chair if room permits.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everybody for your input, it's very helpful.
  • 13 years ago
    The sofa is very much up to date the cushions are another story .... too much is going on there you need to make a choice on the pattern you cannot have a variety look at this example for instance.

    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=corner+sofa+&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=B4BAEB68E7AFD65555A06DC447351E8A35DC3EEE&selectedIndex=48
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Kimberly, I don't usually offer any advice on design unless it is related to art but I just wanted to mention that, perhaps, you could ask the store if you could only buy the cushions you like and need instead of all that are shown in that picture... Raisa
  • 13 years ago
    I was thinking I could eliminate the stripe and navajo print for french linen, the covers zip off with high quality down inserts underneath.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Raisa, because this is discounted 40%, it is what it is. I do sew and can easily make covers... Or find some, such as pottery barn?
  • 13 years ago
    These 6 pillows, I made for the couch in our current home. It was a 15 year old flex steel of my husbands and I wanted to give it an update until we moved and got something new.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the couch, but I think it might be too much for your room. We have a room about that size, and just our sofa and love seat is too much. Good luck, and let us know!
  • 13 years ago
    Oops, 8 pillows. Ordered the fabrics and think it was a fun temporary fix.
  • 13 years ago
    Mllow, thank you, I was worried about the size.
  • 13 years ago
    Pattiegood, you have a good point, I probably need to wait till we take possession. Thanks for the input!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Kimberlysc, 4 feet deep is very deep. Average sofa is 3 foot to around 40 inches. A deep sofa sits much different than a regular depth. Deep sofas are comfortable for family rooms where everyone is comfortable to sprawl out or lean way back. In a more formal space, guests are not comfortable with the open sprawled position, they usually prefer to sit up a bit.

    In my opinion sectionals work well in some rooms but not all. Tape out the area you are planning on putting it. I think you will be surprised how much room it does take up. 10 and a half feet each way is big. You will have much less options for changing things around as well. I would suggest an 8 foot sofa and two large chairs instead. With that depth, the corner will not be popular, and as the sectional is ten and a half feet, that leaves only about six feet to sit on each way, so two comfortably and three kind of squeezed in.

    It sounds like a good buy at 40% off, however, if it looks like a mistake right from the get go, it's not a deal at all.
  • 13 years ago
    You have excellent points! Taping area off is a good idea. The size is probably why they have it discounted, too big for most rooms. This would be going in a family area, the living room is on the other side of the two sided fireplace. When we sat on it, the comfort was wonderful, my husband loved it. I think that's why they have loose pillows in front of the back pillows, because of the depth.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Susan, and great points, not a good deal if it does not work for space, and function.
  • 13 years ago
    Just a little tip: I once sat down on a couch that was really deep and after a while, my back, knees and legs would hurt (I'm 5'2''). Make sure you sit on it a while before you make a decision :) ! And also, loose pillows can get "saggy" after some time...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Maree another good point, inspect before you buy. Ask lots of questions, ask to look inside the cushion covers. Any furniture salesperson should be able to explain how the sofa is made, what the frame is made of, what tequniques were used, how the combination of down and foam is constructed. Check to make sure the down is in it's own channeled liner separate from the foam. The liner should be very tightly woven so the feathers don't escape. These should be zippered and encase the foam core. Anyone purchasing furniture should be as highly informed as possible, as these days most is being made off shore and often the quality is not there.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oops sorry, typed Marie, these iPads!
  • 13 years ago
    Look at something else by this company and your husband will probably like it, too. Maybe they could special order the fabric you like in a style & size that will work better for your space. It's fun to be getting new things! So enjoy the process as much as you can! ;)
  • 13 years ago
    The price sounds high to me. Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn have sectionals that you pick the material, the color, the configuration etc. You can customize exactly the way you want and the price is much cheaper. They run around $3,000 - $4,000.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the look of the sofa...I would customize the pillows though. However I think before purchasing you should wait to truly gauge your new space after you move in ..to make sure it feels right and would look appealing in the space.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the sofas with the loose pillows on the back. This is not a picture of a sectional but look at the pillows and the detailing in this. Nailhead, button tufting, bun feet and gorgeous pillows. I keep thinking should I throw out my perfectly good sofa and repaint my whole house?
  • 13 years ago
    Linlac I love the pictured sofa and pillow assemble you posted. Go with your gut, you'll love yourself for it in the end!
  • 13 years ago
    Enjoying all the feedback, you are all so helpful. Susan, great idea about the down. I checked the construction, but didn't unzip cushion to check down technique. I did go on line and watch video of how company makes their sofas. Nothing happens outside of North Carolina. Fabric is form USA as well. No robots, no machines. All hand worked. Construction is top grade. But I have decided not to rush into anything, thanks to everybody's. it's much too fun getting new furniture e to feel pressured by a sell piece. I will let everyone know how this goes, and I'm going to have lots of questions about the new house!
  • 13 years ago
    Lilac- nice couch, I like loose back pillow too! That's what we have now.
  • 13 years ago
    Lilac, I think you have a good point about pottery barn etc., I love their stuff! I have their manhattan leather chair in whiskey that will probably go in this same room and I love their sectionals. Do you think their stuff is all USA?
  • 13 years ago
    Just my personal opinion, on the pillow and couch back. I prefer a tight back or tufted back sofa. I also have to shop a lot for the proper depth from front cushion edge to sofa back or my feet dangle off the floor. My LaZBoy sofa is perfect and I will reupholster it rather than shop for new because it took forever to find it. Loose sofa cushions and pillows are not in my comfort level. Good luck; it takes lots of searching to find the right one.
  • 13 years ago
    That's funny you ask because I was just looking at the website the other day and they have a video that shows how the furniture is made and that it is made in the USA. I personally don't own any furniture from Pottery Barn but one of my good friends has a houseful. She has had it along time and it has held up to kids and dogs. She swears by it. When I saw the sectional you posted it reminded me of my friends furniture. I knew she didn't pay that much. The other thing was I went to a "50%" off sale at a furniture store that I frequent. They marked up the prices and then knocked the 50% off. Everything was about the same price as any other time that I went to the store. You are making the right decision by not rushing because of a sale. If you are going to pay $6,000. you should absolutely love it and not have to do any alterations.
  • 13 years ago
    I recently "broke up" with my sectional. As others have mentioned, it was just too limiting in terms of layout options. You can really find some great deals when you mix and match pieces. Don't be too concerned with buying a set. I like to splurge on the sofa/love seat and grab some awesome deals at homegoods for the chairs. Just something to consider?? Best of luck to you in your new home!