Software
Houzz Logo Print
angela_mattia

Help!! with house colors

9 years ago

Need help picking my house colors. Here are two colors I am looking at. The roof will be slate blue.

Comments (35)

  • 9 years ago

    The yellow will stand out. The second color won't. I can't say much else as I can't even tell what the second color might be—gray, grayish green, grayish blue?

  • 9 years ago

    The is a grayish green called Sedate Gray. Do you have any other color suggestions?

  • 9 years ago

    The whitish isn't a big change is it? Do you like how it is now?

  • 9 years ago

    Does a gray accent help?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the yellow paint with the grayish green roof and trim--very striking! The yellow would also look great with blue, especially a navy or royal blue. Much better than a white house, which bores me to tears. I do not like the yellow with the gray trim you just posted. Stay with a stronger color.

  • 9 years ago

    The roof is a new color. It is a metal roof slate blue so I am trying to update something that works well with it and has a beachy feel.

  • 9 years ago

    I do love the color of it and on my monitor, it looks dark green to me, which I happen to love with yellow!

  • 9 years ago

    How about the gray on the top front... keep it yellow or tie it to the bottom gray?

  • 9 years ago

    If you want to use a gray, I would use a much darker gray than what is pictured. That gray looks washed out next to the yellow! Here is what I'm talking about:

    This dark shade of gray would look great with the yellow:

    Artisan Lakeside Showhouse · More Info
    I also love the color of the door with the yellow on this beach house:

    Rustic Beach Cottage Second Dwelling Unit in Santa Cruz, CA · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    This is a water front property correct?

    I'm not feeling a slate blue roof with a yellow body............

  • 9 years ago

    Darker gray?? What do you think?

  • 9 years ago

    A green door with it would pop.

  • 9 years ago

    I like the darker gray much better and the green/turquoise colored door would really pop!

  • 9 years ago

    Yes... we have water in front & back. Maybe white on top with the yellow?

  • 9 years ago

    River front house and bay on the back.

  • 9 years ago

    White, to me, looks washed out next to the yellow. You could go a blue--I saw where someone did that to their yellow house in Houzz's photos of yellow houses. It looked really good.

  • 9 years ago

    Here is the house photo I was talking about:

    Modern Traditional Lake House · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Yes... maybe

  • 9 years ago

    Angela- you are committed to the light yellow body?

  • 9 years ago
    I think the white would look great with black trim. I had my house painted black and the trim is white. The painter said to me, "I'm not sure how this is going to look". Well, let's just say after he was finished he had people drive by to see how great it looks. I think the reverse color would be awesome as well:). Happy Painting, I'm sure it will look fantabulous:)
  • 9 years ago

    I really love these colors... it was what I was trying to get close too.

  • 9 years ago

    No ... I am not committed to yellow, but I do want some light colored.

  • 9 years ago

    The roof is really a little more blue than the computer shows... a little green hint in the shade.

  • 9 years ago

    Angela, I do think I like the yellow with the blue roof. Even though your home is a modern style, you can paint the trim and railings the same color as the roof, or even a third color that complements the other two. The base of your home can remain that neutral taupe without clashing with anything else.

    Perhaps you could use a virtual color program by one of the paint manufacturers. HERE is one. Many of them allow you to upload your own photo to try out paint colors. I've not uploaded any photos, but do find comparing colors online to be very helpful.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Angela, here are a few ideas for you with your blue roof.

    20 Iron Bottom Lane · More Info
    Notice the lower floor is a darker gold and the upper a creamy yellow with the blue roof. I would recommend against the grey colors if you go with yellow for body, you want the roof to be focal not the lower level. Keep lower level darker than the other areas.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Room for Everyone · More Info
    Here is how you could use gray on your lower level, white for stairs and etc., and your blue roof. I know you said you weren't going white for the body color, but just wanted to show you the bright cherry look of white and blue.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Paradise at the Pier · More Info
    Here is combination of sea greens, and mauve with the blue roof and white accents.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The colors above might be more of a light coral color, hard to see on monitors, but you get the idea.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you... I love the ideas. Too many good choices. I really like the creamy yellow with a brown gray lower and the white and gray combo. If anyone sees any more pictures with blue metal roofs with good siding colors, I would love to see them.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Creamy yellow is a warm color, brown/gray moves to cooler and they won't look good together. I'll keep an eye out so you don't make a mistake with mixing the wrong warm colors with cool colors. Some combinations can work, some not. :0

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Front of the House · More Info
    Most of the blue roofs I see seem to be paired with whites. If I were selecting colors with you, the first thing I would do is get a sample of the exact roofing you will be using. Blues are tricky and there are a wide variety of tones and undertones. Also, light/sun affect these colors quite a bit. Then I would look for your paint colors. Maybe you have done this? Then make up sample boards with two coats of paint, preferably on a primed sample board, and put with the roofing sample in the light of your place. This will give you the best shot at getting a good combination. Hope that helps.

  • 9 years ago

    That is great advice. I will do that. Thank you!

  • 9 years ago

    That is great advice Flo!

    When I look at the inspiration pick amattia showed us, I see the body as being not so much a light yellow but a tan/beige with a tint of green. That is what works with the blue roof - not yellow - IMO.

  • 9 years ago

    I love the more white one. I think it really compliments the slate blue of the roof!