Software
Houzz Logo Print
erin_schmidt184

Need ideas for sidelight windows

13 years ago
I would like a little privacy in my sidelights and need some low cost ideas. I've checked out window film but would that look too tacky? Other suggestions?

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    There are also stencils and frosted white window paint in a spraycan that may look nice. Try one design and if you don't like it you could always scrape it back off with a putty knife. Certain department stores also sell curtains designed to fit sidelites in doors. Sorry but I can't remember which stores. Could be Sears or JCPenney.com. Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    In my sidelights, I used window sheers made specifically for sidelights, they allow the light to pass through, but offer privacy as well. You can buy small tension rods to attach sheers to that do not require major install work. Sheers come in a variety of colors to suit your decor.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    www.decorativefilm.com Lots of choices that will look like art glass at a fraction of the cost. They even have some new products that are static cling making a DIY application easier. You can ask your local window film professional and they will probably have a sample book they can bring to your home. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    I used the window film in a small bath window.....looks great.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like the sidelights the way they are. For you to lose privacy, a peeper would have to have his nose pressed against the glass. That said, if you add mullions to the windows it cuts down on visability.

    Kelmore Project - Exterior Shots · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I've used the window film on the bathroom windows in my own house and it looks ok...it just took forever to get it done as my bathroom has two windows, both 6 over 6. I only put it on the bottom sash, but still took a while to cut all 12 pieces.

    Now, I typically use the glass frosting spray from Krylon. I must warn you that it smells horrible so make sure you do it on a nice day so you can open all the windows to get the smell out. If you decide that you don't like it, it can be removed with mineral spirits
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I've used window films and they look real nice, don't look cheap in any way.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What if you hang something by the windows? I hate to see that glass covered.

    Shane Powers Hanging Glass Bubble Collection · More Info


    3-Pot Self-Watering Hanging Herb Planter · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Much prefer the frosted glass over the curtains! Assorted film options are available at building box stores. They come in a variety of patterns and are inexpensive. For a clean modern custom look, cut basic film 1-11/2" smaller than your opening, leaving a 1/2 -3/4" clear glass space framing the frosted area much like a bevel edge on a mirror.
  • 13 years ago
    Look for a local stained glass artist...they can add beautiful designs and help with the privacy issues. I have made stained glass windows for sidelights....here are a couple of them
  • 13 years ago
    I'm no help, but what colour did you paint your door? Thanks :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Larajaye: I just bought the house so have no idea what the front door paint colour is... Sorry!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the options! Soo hard to choose. I will research the window film more. I would want something that looks like stained glass but very simple and modern. I will take a look at the website recommended above. Otherwise my backup might be curtains (which can be removed easily) but done as a straight sheet across the window (like ikea panels).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Window film
    Window Film · More Info
    Window Film · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I like the file that looks like seeded glass. Just enough "waves" for privacy, but clear so it doesn't cut the light.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I put a tall dracena in front of one window, and a coat tree in front of the other. You really do have to be on the porch, peeking in to actually see inside, but I have seen rude salespeople actually cupping their hands around their eyes to look in!

  • 5 years ago

    What is the brand of this door? I'm looking to replace my front door and would like to get one like this.