Software
Houzz Logo Print
ckrug814

I need help selecting 2 rugs for living & dining room.

9 years ago
I'm moving back into my remodeled home. It is now an open concept with living room, dining room & kitchen. The space between the living room & dining room is very close. I want 2 different rugs but am concerned that they may clash. Still figuring out placement of furniture in living room. (Furniture just delivered today). The rug shown is most likely going in my bedroom. Appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Move one of the living room chairs to the other side of sofa. Move sofa down for best fit in room. Rug doesn't look substantial enough for this space. I wouldn't put a rug under the table because a bench just doesn't work well with a rug. Honestly, the table, chairs and bench are just way too bulky and large for this space. Are you able to return it for smaller scale pieces? The flooring is really nice and your overall other finishes look very nice. A slightly larger rug would be best in the living area so the front legs of all furniture are on the rug, at least by 6" or so. You will have to leave space for the walkway from the doorway entry, of course. I think with a few pieces of artwork and some accessories (lamp and coffee table items) and perhaps a couple of pillows the space will be quite lovely.

  • 9 years ago
    Thx Flo for your comments. Do you have any suggestions for a rug for living room?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would embrace the blues. I will find some options for you.
  • 9 years ago
    You can get a rug to fit the whole area or buy the same rug
  • 9 years ago
    Muted with blue tones.
  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Abstract Shore Blue Spa Rug, 5'x8' · More Info
    I like this look in a rug. It walks the line between modern and transitional so it might work with the combination of rustic in the dining area and more formal in the living area. It combines the grays and blues and adds a bit of green and white for a really nice overall look. I don't have a good feel for the size of your space, but you can put some blue painter tape and outline a space from the left side of the front door, down to the end of the sofa plus about 12". Then from under the legs of the sofa over to the walkway/front door space. That will be the size rug you need. I'm guessing you need around an 8 x 10, with the 10' side being the sofa side.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The above rug is probably a bit too low pile for the look I would suggest, it is the colors I am proposing. I would like a rug with a thicker pile for that space. Even a nice shag would be comfortable and really good looking.

  • PRO
    9 years ago


    Dynamic Rugs Regal 89536 Rug, Blue/Grey, 7'10"x11'2" · More Info
    This one would blend both your chair color and sofa colors and be soft on the feet! Just depends on budget. I would put my money in the one rug for the living area, as Claire mentioned above.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestions. I love the texture & look of this rug but am concerned about keeping it clean. Any thoughts?
  • 9 years ago
    This is a similar look to the rug that catches my eye every time.
  • 9 years ago

    Is your sofa black? My initial thought is that you don't need a rug under your kitchen table, at least for now. With the bench, it could get pretty dicey (although I do think that space would benefit from some textiles, setting the table will help!) As far as the Jocelyn rug you posted, I think it would be very difficult to keep clean, and it also looks like it may not be very substantial, thus bunching and sliding around.



  • 9 years ago
    My sofa is indigo blue not black. I didn't purchase a rug (yet) as I was waiting to see how furniture "fit". The rug in my initial post is going in the bedroom put will stay until a replacement is found. We moved the chairs back a little & moved sofa down.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    You need a thicker rug in that space so it doesn't cause slipping. Also, a cream color isn't the best color since the furniture is cool color. You want to find blues and grays or even some orange would work better than beige.