A review of the Lacanche Sully 2200
First of all, a HUGE thanks to so many wonderful posters (Huruta, CorieHall, mtnrdredux, ChristyMcK, finestra, Joeboldt, Martin and more!!) who gave me the courage to order this range without having ever cooked on one!
Some of you may remember from my previous posts that we have had a little kitchen angst at our house these past few months, completing a mini-reno immediately following a new build. We have spent the past four+ months with only a hot plate from Amazon and a steam oven for cooking. (Well, and to be fair, a crockpot and pressure cooker.) Following our disaster with a full suite of custom appliances, I was all set to replace them with appliances from our local Ferguson's. But right when I was about to sign off on them, my sweet DH encouraged me to go ahead and order a LaCanche. I reminded him that it would be weeks before it's arrival. But then he pointed out that we had already been in our home for weeks without functioning appliances, so we might as well go the distance and get what I really wanted. (Thank goodness for his easygoing nature!) So, I placed the order in October and I have to admit....there were many times when I thought I had made a mistake in waiting. I was anxious about it's arrival, mainly because we had ordered the original custom appliances against my DH's thinking and I did not want to be mistaken a second time.
Well, my beautiful Sully arrived a couple of weeks ago. It was the best Valentine EVER! Every time I walk into my kitchen I want to hug it. The craftsmanship is absolutely amazing, but on top of it....this thing is an amazing cooking machine!! I have always believed that a good cook can make any appliance produce. But I have taken some of my family's favorite meals and taken them to a new level with this range! Even the most simple roasted chicken and brussel sprouts were A-MA-ZING on this range. THANK YOU Lacanche for making me a better cook!
My range has these features from left to right:
in counter multi-cooker (steamer)
2 15k burners
1 18k burner
1 5/ 1 11k burner pair
2 11/11k burners
1 induction module with two zones
For ovens, I have 1 gas, 1 electric, and 1 warming cupboard. The fourth cabinet is below the multi-cooker and houses water shut off and drain system for the steamer unit. I have experimented with everything so far and here are my initial thoughts:
multi-cooker~Love this. I have joint issues and it is fabulous to be able to steam veggies or quick pasta without having to empty a big pot of boiling water. I look forward to being able to play with this a bit more to offer more specifics.
18k burner~this thing is super hot. Having recently had a 22k burner range top, I can tell you that thus far the difference between the 18 & 22 burners is negligible for my needs. In fact, I charred the first two items by walking away for just a moment. Did a beautiful stir fry with this.
Regular burners~Will probably be able to speak more intelligently about these in a few weeks, but the simmer burner keeps it super low and the 11k are great for every day usage. Plenty of juice. I think I will use them the most, especially with the double griddle plates.
Induction~In retrospect, would've added another one of these if possible, but I think they can only do one with the current UL approval. It's super fast....boiling water in less than a minute. It's not very loud at all, almost no buzzing. And I love the option that my girls can cook on it a bit more safely until we are all used to the extra fire power on the gas burners.
Ovens~I haven't run into any size issues thus far. Regular sheets fit perfectly inside. I forgot how much I love a gas oven, as it's been years since I have used one. And the warming cupboard.....braised a lovely roast the first couple of days. And I'm hoping to make fresh yogurt this coming week.
Customer Service from initial contact three years ago until today has been phenomenal. Victoria was our sales contact, but we also met Elisa on a trip to NYC. Both were so helpful and knowledgeable. Also, Christa in their logistics area and Brian in service have been so available during delivery and installation. They have a great team!
Thanks to anyone still reading.....and again, a huge debt of gratitude to the community for all of the information that led me to my dream kitchen! Y'all are an amazing group of people! And now the newest member of the family....our copper-trimmed, graphite Ginger!

Comments (41)
- TwoBelles thanked jakkom
Related Professionals
Mountain Home Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · St. Louis Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · York Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · McAllen Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Wichita Falls Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Kalamazoo Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Duluth Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Saint Cloud Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Hobbs Kitchen & Bathroom Designers · Pine Bluff Bathroom Remodelers · Frisco Bathroom Remodelers · Lawrence Bathroom Remodelers · Tucson Bathroom Remodelers · San Bernardino Bathroom Remodelers · Winston-Salem Kitchen Remodelers- 9 years ago
That is a stunning range! I'm might never leave my kitchen if I had that beauty!
TwoBelles thanked malabacat - 9 years ago
Good gracious that is gorgeous!!! Enjoy! I would just pet it all day. Love the hood also.
TwoBelles thanked homepro01 - TwoBelles thanked friedajune
- TwoBelles thanked plllog
- 9 years ago
Congratulations, what a beautiful range. Enjoy your new kitchen and welcome to the Lacanche family.
TwoBelles thanked Xcx Zzz TwoBelles
Original Author9 years agoThank you, friends! This range just makes me want to cook! I love, love, love it!
And plllog & rococogurl, thanks for all the help in planning and decision making. This forum is so helpful!
- 9 years ago
Gorgeous!!! What a stunner! We just received an email that our Cluny 1400 has left the factory.
TwoBelles thanked MaggieB TwoBelles
Original Author9 years agoThis was a custom order completed by Blue Star/Prizer. I would never purchase this hood again. While it is beautiful, the function is rudimentary at best. I should have ordered the Modernaire instead.
- 9 years ago
Thanks for the quick response. I've been researching custom hoods lately for a client. Trying to find the best liner/blower system to use. I know Modernaire they are actually just a few miles away form me. Do you feel there's are better than most or just better than what you have.
TwoBelles
Original Author9 years agoI feel they are better than most. Also, their range of custom design is a great option. We have a rooftop blower, so that is a different animal, but Modernaire is a great choice. HTH!
- 9 years ago
I don't know how I missed this! Thanks for the review- only makes me more excited for my Cluny with induction. It's a stunner.
TwoBelles
Original Author9 years agoifoco, LOL, well to be honest I was hosting a luncheon on Monday at the exact time you were posting; and tomorrow is a family birthday celebration. We are introducing her to everyone! :)
HeatherinOR, I predict you are going to love it! Can't wait to hear what you think! And now you're in for the hardest part....the "it's on it's way but it's not here" wait. Kinda like being 39 weeks pregnant.
- 7 years ago
HI Beth, I am looking at the same Sully 2200. I am torn between the traditional cooktop and the classique cooktop. Curious why you chose the classique configuration. It's so hard ordering site unseen and without a demo.
TwoBelles thanked lisalisajm - 7 years ago
Bonjour lisalisajm !!
Please let us know if we can answer any questions regarding either cooktop, as it is really so dependent on your cooking style and lifestyle needs :). There is so much room to play on a Sully 2200, so depending on your current configuration, you can easily enjoy the best of both worlds with either Hob setting.
Lots of good info can be found at frenchranges.com but please let me know if I can help put you in the right hands for a chat ~Merci !
Blair | Lacanche US
blair@frenchranges.com
TwoBelles
Original Author7 years agoHi lisalisajm,
I debated back and forth about the classique and the traditional tops. I then end I went with the classique on the recommendation of Victoria. I'm so glad that I followed her advice, because with the portable french top (included with your 2200), I have the best of both worlds. I use the portable french top mostly for savories like a slow chili or a mole that benefit from the low and slow cooking....we are not really into the french sauces for which it was intended. However, on the 2200 there are actually enough burners that (especially in the winter months) I end up leaving the portable plate on almost constantly. So....in the end I have both burner types available for use. HTH! Please feel free to ask any other specific questions! :)- 6 years ago
After using your beautiful range for a good 8 months now, how are your feelings towards the in-range steamer? Do you use it a lot and for what? Would you put one in again? I m contemplating to order one too so I am very curious.
TwoBelles
Original Author6 years agoHi lielau....you had perfect timing, just happened to be online when this posted. Yes, I would do the steamer again. For me, it is a no brainer due to joint issues. It is a much safer option for me than lifting a boiling pot and emptying it. I always thought a pot filler was only a half-solution: you have the spigot to fill a pot with cold water, but when it's boiling hot you still have to move it!
But having said that, my most-used hob is the induction. I will never want to be without that again. HTH! :)- 6 years ago
Thank you very much. I wil also order a 5 zone induction. Here in The Netherlands we are no longer allowed to put in any gas appliances in our new home. We will be no longer hooked up to the main gasline. That option is being shut down due to environment politics.
TwoBelles thanked lielau - 6 years ago
Hi Beth, Great review and love all your responses to other posters. We are looking at a couple of options for our new home build and a Sully 1800 is at the top of my list. I've been reading plenty of reviews and specifically recall reading one where the poster expressed concern over uneven heating of the convection oven requiring turning of the pans to prevent uneven cooking of baked goods. Have you found this to be the case or do you feel this concern is unfounded? Thanks!
TwoBelles
Original Author6 years agoI have not had that issue at all, although I am not a huge baker. (I do have a DD that bakes quite a bit, but it hasn't been a problem as far as I can taste....) The one thing I do notice is that the ovens run hot, so much of what I cook needs to have the time adjusted. But I attribute that to a combination of smaller ovens which heat more efficiently and good seals around the doors. :)
TwoBelles
Original Author6 years agoYou absolutely can. But I live in the South and we fry outside. :)
- 5 years ago
Hi @TwoBelles. This is a very helpful post. I have space for 55" or maybe 59" and am also interested in the MC. So I'm thinking about the 55" Chagny with two ovens and petite broiler, but then with no warming cupboard and also no induction. In that case, I would supplement with a Wolf warming drawer. If you had a separate warming drawer and no induction, do you think that would be a good trade? Why do you find the induction so useful? Alternatively, I could get the 59" Fontenay with only one oven, but then I could have the multi cooker as well as two of the five burners being induction. In that case, I would supplement with a wall oven or two. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
TwoBelles
Original Author5 years agoHi @cattleyaorchid I think in order to weigh in on this dilemma I would need to know a bit more about how you plan to use the multi cooker. What do you have in mind?
- 5 years ago
Thanks for getting back to me. We cook a lot of pasta and I was thinking it would be nice not to have to lug around heavy pots of water, so would use it for that. Also for steaming vegetables. I am wondering if it heats quickly, though, or if we would find ourselves using the power burner to boil water for pasta for quickly. And how is it to clean compared to washing a pot?
TwoBelles
Original Author5 years agoSo, after using it for a few years, here is my take on the MC, keeping in mind, of course that YMMV.
I want to start by saying that I just *had* to have the MC because I was sure I would get tons of use from it, especially because I have arthritis and I have had some close calls with moving heavy pots of boiling water. So, in that way, having the MC is very nice bc it does drain the boiling water and eliminates the need to move a heavy pot full of boiling water. The downsides, though, are that it does take some time to get the water to a boil ( I would say about 15 minutes or so) and then there is the clean up, which is kind of a pain. You have to wait for the unit to cool down enough to take it apart to clean it well; otherwise, it tends to get icky. Coincidentally, we seem to be eating less pasta these days *sigh* so when I do make pasta it is in smaller batches and I usually do it on my induction hob which boils water in under a minute. I do love my MC for keeping items warm and for steaming veggies. In those instances, clean up is super easy, it's just draining the water and then I leave the lid off all night to air dry.
To speak to your oven choices, I really do love having my warming cupboard, I use the heck out of that thing! I almost think I would give up the MC before the warming cupboard, especially with an induction hob that boils water so quickly for pasta. So in the end, maybe the question is...how MUCH pasta do you prepare at one time? Is it smaller batches, for say a family of 4? Or is it regularly for 10-12? In which case the MC might be very useful for you. I hope this is helpful and not more confusing!- 5 years ago
Thanks @TwoBelles. That is really helpful. Usually only 1 lb of pasta, so maybe the induction would be better. How do you use the warming cupboard?
TwoBelles thanked cattleyaorchid TwoBelles
Original Author5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago@cattleyaorchid I use the warming cupboard most days.....for keeping everyone fed instead of microwaving food to reheat. I am spoiled now that I like warm plates. When entertaining, I really have enjoyed having everything pretty much prepared when guests arrive and this warming cabinet does hold a lot of food at once. It also makes the absolute best homemade yogurt. And I use it regularly for slow braising instead of my crockpot. I actually don't think I have used a crock pot since I got the range. Of course, in this InstaPot era, I'm sure I'm showing my age even mentioning a Crock Pot, LOL. And I have used it to dehydrate fruit. (Although, honestly, it was a lot of work for not much product when I have a Whole Foods a mile away.). But. That. Yogurt. *chef's kiss*
Our house is on the market right now and if I don't do a Lacanche in the next house I will miss the warming cupboard most, TBH. And I think I'm actually surprising myself with that statement because this range is really so versatile and such an amazing cooking machine. I guess I would say that for a true cook it's not that LaCanche does so many unique things as much as it does them all so uniquely well. Does that make sense?
- 5 years ago
I second what TwoBelles said about the warming cabinet. I use mine almost daily. It's great for proofing bread, making yogurt, slow cooking meats or just heating leftovers. You will love your Lacanche!
Twobelles, I hope you get to do another Lacanche in your new house! I've told my husband, if we ever move we are either taking our current one with us or I'm getting another one. I can't imagine living with out a Lacanche! We are planning to finish the rest of our basement into a MIL suite and I've been delaying it in hopes that a fully induction Lacanche will become available here in the USA.
TwoBelles
Original Author5 years agoI would love to see that option, as well. Induction had been a game changer for me!
- 5 years ago
Thanks for all the responses. Now I'm thinking the multi cooker would not be useful enough and too much trouble to clean, so I'll get to choose something else in its place. Thinking about a 2nd large burner so I can have the French top as as well as the power burner. But to people love about induction?
- 5 years ago
Cattleyaorchid, I have four 11,000 BTU which are general cooking burners , one - 18,000 which I used mostly for boiling water one- 15,000 that is used for searing and one - 5,000 that is used for simmering or low cooking. I usually put my portable French plate over the 15,000 and the 5,000.00. I don't sear much so the 15,000 BTU is my least used unless I'm using the French Plate.


lielau