Software
Houzz Logo Print
karenheff

Planter box dilemma

9 years ago
My midcentury modern home has this built-in planter box. I was thinking of putting Mother-in-law's Tongue in it. Because the home also has an Asian theme, my other idea was a mini Zen garden. Thoughts?

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would do the zen garden

    Karen Heffernan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago
    It seems the planter box is shallow. I would fill it with a soil mix appropriate for cacti and plant a mosaic of succulents; there are many types of Haworthia and Gasteria that should work well there with the light level. Online resources include Arid Lands greenhouses in Arizona and Tropiflora in Florida. Good luck with your project!
    Karen Heffernan thanked patmcmd
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Great house! I think the above suggestions are right on the mark. The minimalist feel of a zen or succulent garden would be appropriate for the style of the home.

    Karen Heffernan thanked HedgeApple
  • 9 years ago

    Love your house!

    Since this is right as the house is entered, seems to be intended to direct your path, is very low and so a tripping hazard I would use a single plant species that grows to about knee height with a carpeting plant or moss or decorative stones filling in.

    Does light ever come through the windows? If not I think your initial thought of sanseveria is good. Look at cast iron plant as well.

    You could place a large bonsai trimmed house plant on a low wide pedestal off center and fill in the base with gravel and stone. Thinking a ficus might be able to deal with the apparent low light. Thinking a foot tall and wider slice of tree trunk as pedestal. A small leaved trailing plant could be potted and placed next to the pedestal. Wire vine might be right.

    Karen Heffernan thanked Kathy Yata
  • 9 years ago

    I love inside house plants..... that said, I think I would cover your planter with some wood or tile like your floor. Then I would find a decorative pot to sit on the wood or tile. Plant something tallish if you have enough light...then since you have an Asian thing going on, find some figurines or zen dogs to put near the pot. Would look neat and tidy IMHO

    Karen Heffernan thanked erinsean
  • 9 years ago

    A little more info: the planter box is 3 feet by 6 feet, and 6 inches deep. The foyer is quite large, so luckily it's not a tripping issue. While no direct light comes in the north facing window next to it, it does get indirect light from the large floor to ceiling windows facing south in the living room across the foyer.

    I had also thought of raked sand with a bonsai tree, but the boulder with the sand is intriguing (and I can't kill a boulder lol).

    Thank you all, these are all great ideas!

  • 9 years ago
    Another view of our foyer
  • 9 years ago


    Karen Heffernan thanked groveraxle
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @groveraxle - you're awesome, thank you! I especially love the second one

  • 9 years ago

    ^ Bigger boulder is better, though.

    Karen Heffernan thanked groveraxle
  • 9 years ago

    C'mon, you knew I wasn't gonna suggest a boulder and then not give you one. ;-)


    Karen Heffernan thanked groveraxle
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yes, I hate it when somebody gets to my ideas first! The sand with a tiny rake is perfect as long as you can be sure it will stay contained and that you don't have a cat in residence ; (

    Karen Heffernan thanked leelee
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the mother-in-law plant! It really withstands neglect. I've had mine for over 20 years. Any other indoor plant is lucky to last more than a year with me. If you do a plant you could add decorative pebbles.

    Dallas, TX: Scott & Melissa Powell / New Leaf · More Info

    Foldplace · More Info

    Herron Residence · More Info

    Bendel-Daniels House · More Info

    Karen Heffernan thanked houssaon
  • 9 years ago
    That is considered a low light area so succulents won't thrive. I like Grovers ideas and definitely don't get a cat
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I like the boulder and sand, but would select both in BLACK.