edubya

POLL: What is most important for your home office productivity?

Emily H

Menlo Park · More Info

If you have a home office, what element is most important to your productivity? Tell us about your home office must-have!

Door for privacy
Quiet location away from living areas / kids' bedrooms
Comfortable desk and chair
Landline phone
Storage space
Good lighting
Other - tell us below!

• Bev

I voted other because all of the things you mentioned are very important to me since I run an online business from home!

Mountain MT Homes LLC

Yes as all above it very essential for a office! Not sure which one to pick as I would pick all of them.

Ken

POLL: What is the most important thing to men in a "man space?"

I find the question to this topic quite interesting. I answered "other". I think it really doesn't matter where the "man space" is or what it looks like. If the guy has an area that he frequently goes to and knows he can chew loudly, scratch, burp and pass gas without someone to hear and complain about it then they are happy. LOL. Now i realize this is probably why a relative stopped visiting me- I couldn't handle the noises LOL

POLL: What's important when a contractor is working in your home?

All of the above. Looking clean and professional is not as important to me as the others. I would also add to clean up after themselves. Don't leave trash from lunch, cigarettes or the job.

POLL: Most important part of hosting a dinner party at home?

They all play a part... but, far and away, the quality of the guests and a liberal supply of social lubricant seem to be the most important. I've been a guest at a party where the chicken was raw, the side burnt, and someone was injured during a racous game of spoons... and that night is one of many that is very fondly relived every time we see each other again.

POLL: What's important when choosing a home builder/remodeler?

Call me cynical. I built a home with a reputable builder. This home cost $400k to build in the 90s. 3 yrs later- very wet home. Builder could care less. It cost me $25k to sue this builder to get the insurance money to rebuild my home. Other homes were also affected. This was due to incorrect installation of windows, improper flashing, inadequate gutter size etc. Consequences to my builder? None. When I called the builder's association, they didn't care. I filed with the bbb. My husband and I were both professionals. We did our homework. Most builders are in it to make profits. I have a great builder now in a new house. It is all about craftsmanship and attention to detail.
    Gerety Building and Restoration

All of the above. I enjoy being distraction free so anything that minimizes outside noise is a big plus.

• E Tro
    a must.....computer, router, printer, copier of top quality
  • willozwisp

All of the above. I also have a separate outside entrance. Always a plus.

• Kerry Ramirez

Light- although a comfortable work place and storage would compete for second. But my home office is actually my art studio, and natural light is a must.

• Carol Rafferty

Everything mentioned here is very important, BUT I find as the most important thing for me to work is plenty of room to work on. If I don't, I get cranky & furious, when things fall, on the floor. I end up buying a 60" desk from Houzz.

• Rachel Bernardes
    bookshelves. lots of 'em!
  • gnumedia

Add a copier/scanner to that list that prints 11x17".

• makirio
    Reliable Internet Connection!
  • abima

Everything mentioned is important, however we do not have enough work space area for "work in progress" and "assembling" packages when necessary. An extra space of 3 to 5 feet of counter or desk top space would be ideal.

• Carol Rafferty

Abima, I know the feeling!! What you need is furniture that has compartments, shelves or drawers. There are real nice floating shelves. If you have very little room you need to organize your office anything. What is the most important & find a place for it. Try baby steps. One small effort at a time & work a little here & there. Through organization & smart decorating, you will be surprised what you have accomplished. My office is in my living room. Not a whole lot of room, but I managed to fit a hutch & a 60" desk as an extension to the hutch. It takes up the room of a small bathroom. I am now organizing & getting rid of charity & trash & you wouldn't believe how much trash one gal can make. Then, the old rule of thumb is: I find a place for everything & everything will be in its place. Good luck!!

Carol Vevle

• klolo

I chose comfortable desk and chair because my chair right now is cute but not comfortable and my neck hurts like hell when I sit for long hours. It is also too tall for me and so I can't really reach the ground (I'm short) and support myself adequately. Pain and discomfort are obviously not good for productivity. Very difficult to work in pain and with bad circulation in your legs.

• herd04

What isn't important? Comfortable desk and chair or I would never be there, good lighting so I can see what I am doing, storage so everything is not in the open to look like a hoarder, a land line for my fax, quiet area - I always have the TV on- kids we could interfere with each other, a door for privacy if necessary, it is not always. Right now I need storage.

• mollythecollie

All of the above, plus a great internet connection. Live in the country outside a major city, however the internet is not reliable.

• onewingstudio

Peace, privacy, control, too much to ask for? A big window. A dog.

• Alix Stricklin

Everything except the landline phone (although I do have a landline fax). It has to be quiet, and I really need a window. Plenty of room for equipment and lots of storage space. Nice furniture - I prefer built-in furniture. If it looks messy and yucky, I don't want to work.

• D. L.

Everything! Plus the workspace needs to be big enough to spread everything out.

I watched the show "Brain Games" and it had a test between young and old one episode and older people have different needs than younger people.

The older I get the more I require quiet, because my hearing is decreasing, light, because my vision is decreasing and a comfortable chair, because my body gets aches and pains and well-organized storage solutions, because my memory isn't what it used to be.

• Sherry Nelson

COLOR!!! I researched wall colors for months before choosing a palette that would make me feel inspired and happy. The 2 wall colors, drapes, upholstery create a magical place I love to be...even when I'm NOT working!

• CA
    A window for natural light
  • chiflipper

Coffee and cigarettes.

• qcade5871
    An actual table as well as a desk
    Ferris Zoe Design

i am a space planner. send me your floor plan & a photo, & i'll do a complementary plan for you, since we're all in business & need a highly functional workplace. first 3 replies get this offer!

• annemariehaugen

I find music and earbuds to be a lifesaver! All the things listed above from the poll AND other readers' comments are important but I believe the very most important thing is user friendliness. If you're happy and comfortable in your work space you can actually work!

I have recently changed out family "computer room/study" into an office as I am going to school for my masters. My office is right off the living-room, but does have a door to quiet some tv noise, Also to the people who have discussed a good chair....ABSOLUTELY!!! I had, yes past tense!, a wonderful 'dining room' table kind of chair. Looked great was comfortable, very stylish. I didn't want the bulky "office" chair, been there, done that. Yeah well, while it was comfortable for a while 56 mo into studying, papers and homework,,,,not so much. I asked a friend who recommend a nice off white one that worked with the scheme of my office.

Long story short....Don't ignore comfort for cuteness. Be happy with YOUR space

Good Luck!

Shales Design Services

I have been self employed for 10 years now. More than half have been spent working out of my very full household. Sound proofing has been the most important factor to a peace/productive work day. If I can hear what is going on it is not simply a noisy co-worker, but something I feel the emotional need to be aware of, even if I tell myself to ignore it.

Studio NOO Design

Natural sunlight keeps me focused all day, especially during cold winter days !

Frontier Custom Builders

Ferris Zoe - I'll take you up on that offer if its not too late! We have several projects for home office studios now that could use some interior design help in the coming weeks! Our business is manufacturing accessory structures and Home Office buildings are definitely a focus so I have enjoyed the comments noted above by all!

• qcade5871
    Ferris Zoe Design, I'm not sure if I'm to late for consideration. I have a simple diagram of my vision for the room and a couple of pictures of the space. I would love your input. The space would be for 2 one works from home full time. I also included an inspiration photo.
    FLOS (USA)

Incorporating appropriate desk and task lighting is a great way to enhance productivity while working in a home office!

• Leeza

I chose Storage -- in our new-to-us house my DH finally has lateral file cabinet, additional shallow drawer-unit for mailing supplies (like this but the top drawers are even shallower so there are three of them),

Winsome Wood Halifax White Contemporary Cabinet / Drawer · More Info

desk drawers, and a couple shelves in the bookcase all within a few steps. Of course, a comfy ergonomic chair was also necessary, as well as a computer surface at right angles to the desk, like the one below only in a cherry laminate to match his dad's Art Deco desk.

Coaster Desks Contemporary Computer Desk Cart with Keyboard Tray · More Info
    Here is a mock up -- the dark block is a media shelf, the mottled thing between the drawer units is the shredder:

• decodivafl

All of the above and good music to make my day more enjoyable.

• Pascale E

All of the above, but especially surface space to lay out my work.

• Carol Rafferty

Hi, there, Pascale. I agree with you!! If I don't have enough space to work on, it can really ruin my mood. I brought a 6' desk, from Houzz. Paid $100 less. I have already got compliments on this desk. I really love it.

• Jonny Quest
    last year

My office space is half my family room in my lower level. So although there are 4 windows light was important. It took a couple of years to make it usable because I had water issues and asbestos flooring issues. But after those were addressed it's been making it functional as an office and a everyday relaxing space. What's important?

Comfortable chair for my rather long days.

Just got a new one and it makes a big difference in back, leg & boulder discomfort.

Storage, storage, storage. Did I say storage???

I've been adding storage as I find interesting things to use but are decorative and don't read as OFFICE. The built in shelving is great but wasn't sufficient. A storage area for toner cartridges, & paper and work in progress was needed. Desktop storage to corral clutter.

Large monitor.

I use both my laptop monitor and a 24" monitor as my primary work computer. So a laptop stand, wireless keyboard & mouse were needed. The fewer cords the better.

Outlets and the best quality surge protectors I can find.

Wireless laser printer.

Less cord madness is always better, especially since I usually have two laptops running.

Side chairs that are comfy but not bulky or scream OFFICE!!!

Nice desk.

I love my desk but it isn't practical as it is likely older than I am. it was meant for computers. So I have a table for my keyboard and mouse and a note pad. I love the cane fronts on the drawers of this desk so I likely won't give it up or modify it to change a drawer to a keyboard drawer.

Large flat workspace.

I would love to have a table that folds down but would be big enough for me to use view/markup large format drawings (36x48"). I've been thinking of using an IKEA butcher block counter for this but not sure about the stability of the folding legs that would support it.

Recycle bin

One that does not consist of the paper box.

An out of the way spot to tuck my paper shredder.

Must have a space for my pups to sleep next to me While I work.