Software
Houzz Logo Print
groganschultz

1979 Fireplace Face Lift

9 years ago

Looking to update our "fireplace room". Just removed old brass glass screen. Want to remove mantel. How far above opening can a new mantel go? I like "German schmear" affect (think it's also just called white wash). Have had some recommend painting the entire thing a dark grey but I feel like it may be too modern. Plus, I am hopeful the 30 year old all brick will come back around. Considering built-ins on either side too? Though room may be too small. We are ripping up carpet & doing hardwood & recessed lighting. Should we reinstall a black screen insert??

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago

    I have a huge brick fireplace in my living room, so I know what you are facing. Why don't you try photo shopping some ideas? It really depends on what type of design style you like.

    Me, I want cleaner lines and more modern, so I want to get rid of my brick, but husband would have a fit.

  • 9 years ago

    Your fireplace looks like nice brick to me. I wouldn't touch the brick.

    I'd do the freshening of the room you're talking about (new hardwood flooring). Remove the wallpaper and paint the trim white. Paint your air registers white. Paint the mantle white.

    I would get a freestanding black fireplace screen.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    The fireplace and room has a lot of potential. What modernize style are you going for?
  • 9 years ago
    Schmear won't look good for interior, and can't be undone. Consult your professional painter and have the fireplace properly cleaned and painted. I would put any possible new mantel where the old one was. And no TV over the fireplace!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I would remove the mantel completely install tile in a size like 12x24 horizontally or go with a split face stone all the way from ceiling to seated hearth using a flat stoned on the seat. Hang a really nice picture or install the tv on the fireplace and do floating shelves on the wall.
  • 9 years ago

    Regarding your question about the height of a new mantel, I'm pretty sure it depends on the depth of the mantel and size of the firebox. The deeper the mantel, the more distance is required from the firebox opening. Your current mantel looks about right, but you could check your local building codes to be sure.


  • 9 years ago

    I really like the brick color and style, and wouldn't change it. I like the antique brass fire screen too. It suits the style of the brick.

    The mantle and the trim on the top are not right for the casual brick style. I'd remove the top trim, and replace the mantle with a more rustic looking one in the same location.

  • 9 years ago

    How about built-in bookcases on either side? I mocked one up - only did one side, lol.

  • 9 years ago

    The problem with many of the "updated" fireplaces I see is that a timeless, but not trendy, fireplace is redone in a "2017" style that really will become a dated feature in 10 years. That is not a bad looking fireplace and I would leave it alone. Paint it, and it will become dated in 10 years. The built in shown by gnujt are an idea - a classic look.

  • 9 years ago

    White wash? Is there a size rule for how long a new, rustic mantel should be?I hate the one we have now (that wraps around). If I add a rustic, floating mantel--how big should it be? Our fireplace is 23in deep. Current mantel is 14inches above opening.

  • 9 years ago

    I would leave the brick alone, and put back the brass insert. Replace the mantel with a straight, flat mantle just to the ends of the brick, rather than having it wrap around. But wait until you decide on the built-ins, because the mantle style may change based on your shelving choices. Build a space for for TV on one side.

    Elgin · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Erin, this is a pic from Houzz with a brick fireplace and mantel I especially like. Just wanted to toss another example out there. I would also LOVE to find out the wall color they used.

  • 9 years ago

    I like the rustic look of your fireplace, and I don't think built-ins, especially white ones, are particularly rustic. I would prefer to see wall art over a cabinet.

    Maybe you don't want a mantel at all. I love this look, which emphasizes the beautiful brick. (At my designer's suggestion, I don't have a mantel on my own fireplace either. I find they often get cluttered with "stuff" that detracts from the fireplace itself.)

    Family Room · More Info



    Publications · More Info


    Hanover West · More Info