Software
Houzz Logo Print
penmore

backyard art studio

13 years ago
We are contemplating adding an art studio about 12x 15 to our backyard. We are considering yurts, tents, or a permanent structure if homeowners regulations will permit. We live in Northern California in a moderate climate. We would definitely need plumbing for a sink and probably lighting. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Modern Shed http://www.modern-shed.com/

    We loved the style of them, and used it as inspiration for our stick-built chicken coop and shed.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks, Brenda. I will check it out.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    here's a pic of our "Modern Shed" inspired chicken coop
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I looked into Modern Shed for some houzzer artists a while back. The price per square foot for their stuff is a bit more than we would charge to stick frame the studio of your dreams. I'm in Sonoma Count and current regulations are changing..what is now Ok to put up without a permit (120 sq.ft.) will no longer be allowed. Your desired 150 sq.ft. will definitely need a permit in the sunny state of California.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm jealous. Actually nothing else to add :)
  • 13 years ago
    Trying to do the the same here on a smaller slab and looked into metal carports for the roof that we could build walls around. Most of the carport companies wanted to charge the same price for a smaller structure as their full garage size. I've been scouting the Habitat for Humanity Restore for French doors to recycle.
    From reading his post, I think Ironwood Builders would be a better deal than some of the prefabs that are so pricey.
    Plumbing and electrical will be the big expenses and you will need licensed and insured professionals for that too. I plan to make do with the garden hose but need serious electrical power for Kilns.
    Good luck with your studio building.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Yeah, in the end we decided that "Modern Shed" was too expensive as well -- especially for chicken coop ;), so we "borrowed" from their design and designed and built this ourselves. The only contractor we hired was an electrician, and yes we had to pull permits. Working only weekends, and with no building experience (just YEARS of DIY experience), we got it under roof after the first summer/early fall, and the next summer we finished off the chicken run and interior details.

    I think we ended up spending around $11K. At the time the Modern Shed would have cost us $17K-ish, and we would still have had to build a deck for it, the chicken run, and hire the electrician. We probably saved 50% (maybe a bit more), but it was A LOT of freakin work.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Oh! ...I have a better idea for your art studio! Buy an old Airsteam trailer and fix it up and "park" it in your back yard! I bet you wouldn't even need permits for that! [houzz=
    Houzz Photo · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Second Street Green · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oh Brenda - what a cool idea !!! I want one !!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Good ideas here! Thanks so much. Cool as it is, I don't think the airstream will work for our needs, no driveway to the back of the garden spot we have planned and not enough, wall space and light for our large canvases...it does sounds like a pricey project, so we will examine the various options.
  • 11 years ago
    This is from April 2013.

    Houzz has a key word generator that pulls up old threads based on what you're reading. They're featured on the right hand side of the page so if you click on any of them, check the date before responds as most are long dead and buried.
  • 11 years ago
    Holly, yes, that is us! Ask Mike Probach, the sales manager at Modern Shed for our contact info. We would be delighted to share with you. We were delighted with our experience and the final result.