Software
Houzz Logo Print
cagd25

Change orders

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So, we are in the final few months of a new home build. Or builder has turned out to be a tough guy to work with. He does good work, but is in no way "customer service oriented". Meaning, he doesn't seem to want to take the time to explain options or make sure we're actually happy with things. He's nearly impossible to talk to about any changes that involve money.

We've had some major issues come from this, and this is the most recent (though not nearly the biggest). Now that we are trimming out, he tells us that our electrical bid included white outlets/plates (this was never in writing or discussed earlier). We were thinking that we may want the traditional almond or ivory instead since our trim will be cream. When we mentioned that, he said that would be a $300 change order, and wouldn't say why. Aren't these things the same price for the basic color options?

I asked to see a sample, since I know "white" means different things to different manufacturers, and he really doesn't want to go through the trouble to show us. He's generally being really difficult. We're doing most of the finishing from here in out, so I'm feeling like he's ready to be finished with his part and doesn't want to put in the effort.

Long story for a short question - is there any reason that using ivory switches would cost $300 more than white?

Comments (23)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I don't know of any reason why any standard color plastic cover plate and device would be more than another, unless he simply doesn't want to make the change.

    G Rogers thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks. That was my thought too. I kind of feel like he is holding us hostage with all these charges he's coming up with.

    I thought maybe the electrician buys switches/plates in bulk in white and that's why, but that's still awfully expensive.

  • 9 years ago

    Herein lies of the rub of the production builder or the "semi-custom" home. There are a butt ton of "assumptions" that are made in the build, not clearly communicated with the customer, and then when it surfaces, the builder calls it a change order, which infuriates the customer because how the heck can you change something you never had the opportunity to spec / be asked / be told, etc...

    :-)

    Unavoidable, I am afraid.

  • 9 years ago

    There is no price difference between white, ivory, and almond trim devices. I'm guessingredients he just doesn't want to make the change even though it's not hard at all.

    G Rogers thanked Chance
  • 9 years ago

    Some people use exhorbitant change order fees to discourage people from changing their minds 1000 times. The change may cost a few $ but it's not at all about that. I believe there should be CO but not be as one sided at the ones your guy is proposing. Not that it helps now, but was this discussed prior to contract signing?

    G Rogers thanked bossyvossy
  • 9 years ago

    @bossyvossy- can you explain why you think there should be a change order for an item that has not been purchased, and costs the same as its counterpart?

    I'm honestly asking here- this is my first home build so I'm just trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

    Our contact was too vague, I now realize. He got bids from the teams he normally uses, but we never saw any specific breakdowns for what they included. You live you learn.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here's a thought....I don't know what "trimming out" means but if the actual switches/recepticles are already installed, they have to match the color of the cover plates, and as you say there a many different "whites" so if they don't match, one or the other will look "dirty". Is he thinking he has to change all those?

    Another thought is to accept what he "bid" and when you're moved in buy other plates and install them yourself. Cost's might add up there however as you probably have 200 of them.....or...listen to this..... go to an open house with your pockets filled with your old plates and, while your spouse distracts the realtor, you're back in the bedrooms busy with a small screw driver making the swap!

  • 9 years ago

    Lol, good plan :) no, the switches aren't in yet. I'm sure they will match the plates.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If the plates are the standard type it would probably be cheaper to replace them yourself and the builder may be hoping you will come to that conclusion and leave him alone.

    I always try to use white plates but I also use a neutral off-white rather than cream trim because that allows for more subtle shades and more colors.

    Choose the wall colors first and put them on a sample board with possible trim colors before making a decision. My favorite is Benjamin More White Dove OC-17.

  • 9 years ago

    And regarding change orders, this was posted on this board a while back...

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    This may be why your builder prefers to use white plates and devices:

    What shape will your switches be?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yes, I'd seen that. But they are installing the receptacles too, so matching shouldn't be an issue. We're getting the classic toggle switches.

  • 9 years ago

    Depending on the house size, it is reasonable. How big is the house - how many plates do you have? In our approx 3000sqft home between receptacles, light switches and cable/internet/phone there are more than 80. It's entirely feasible that he bulk purchases them (and the receptacles and switches) in white, so another $1-2 each for a separate order isn't crazy. Plus there is the time spent ordering and managing the delivery.

  • 9 years ago

    Yeah - our house is small. Like, 1600 sf. Probably 30 receptacles. I think they are just being ridiculous to get a buck.

    I realized that if I let them install whatever they want, I can go through and replace the ones that show (aren't behind furniture or in a closet) for about $40. So they can waste their time putting in switches that I will then waste my time switching out right after. As a real lover of efficiency, this whole process has been mind numbing.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with you; it is frustrating.

    I would just let them install the white ones and you can deal with it later. You might find that the white ones look fine with your trim. There may only be a few areas (like a light switch very close to the trim) where you even notice a slight color difference.

    G Rogers thanked CLC
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    $300 is not reasonable by any standard.

    If you are willing to have white devices and off-white plates (I like it), change the plates later only where they will be noticed. The plates shouldn't cost more then $40 and you could do it in an hour with a battery operated or crank-action screwdriver.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think it's completely unreasonable. We're not talking about building modifications, or fixtures. The price of an Ivory switch is no more than a White Switch.

    I would read the plans carefully. See if the contractor failed to do something / did it 'not to spec'. Then hit him with a deal... I'll forgive this, if I get the Ivory electrical.

    G Rogers thanked geoffrey_b
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Is that a real screwdriver??

  • 9 years ago

    JDS, love your photo of the many ivories and almonds. When we remodeled our kitchen, the electrician replaced all the outlets and switches. He brought in samples of every color he had - I think he had 6 shades of white/off white/ivory/almond. Some of them I could barely tell apart - but the important thing is that I got to choose the one I liked best with the kitchen wall color.

    We did not change out any other outlet/switches in the house - and I doubt anyone (not even I) have noticed that they are different.

    G Rogers, I understand your frustration, but I would wait and swap out any you don't like. But them, I'm a DIY gal, and replace stuff like that regularly. I put dark brown switches in our foyer and bathroom, where I put in wood covers; I put black switches on another foyer switch (on another wall) where I put a switch cover from my grandparents' house - it's black, and says "Outen the Lights".

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Ann - I think you're right. We certainly have no problem with DIY, we did our own siding!


    It's good to know that your electrican brought samples since ours refuses. It's like a painter saying that he's painting your house green, but refusing to show you what shade.

  • 8 years ago

    JDS - I am leaning toward White Dove for our trim color. What color switches and outlets do you think look best with it? White or off-white? Asking since you mentioned White Dove above specifically.

  • 8 years ago

    Mommabear...alas JDS took a hiatus from the board some time ago.

    My trim and cabinetry will all be White Dove and I have white outlets on Accessible Beige painted walls. Imo the white plates and switches look best with White Dove trim fwiw.

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio