Software
Houzz Logo Print
loriltx

Question about cooking and open concepts?

9 years ago

I think areas that are open (kitchen to the living area) are great--so conducive to interacting, but there is one problem with open concepts that is irksome--that is smells from cooking. My 1996 house is not completely open (although it is considered open concept)--there is a 10-foot wide floor to ceiling wall between the kitchen and the main living area and then a 10-foot opening on each side of that wall. We have a second home (also 1996) where the kitchen and main living area are all one big room with a massive island separating them. When cooking even in the semi open house, the smell lingers for a day or two despite ensuring that the exhaust fan is turned on high before the stove top is turned on and turning on all ceiling fans on. If it's a nice day (like yesterday), I even open the French doors to the back are open. Yet, the smell from a cooked dinner remains. I cooked a Greek chicken dish last night--nothing unpleasant smelling and in fact nothing even strong smelling, but when I came out from the master bedroom (it is off the main living area) this morning, I was immediately hit with the smell from the cooking last night. Anyone with any suggestions or is this just something we live with in the era of open concepts?

Comment (1)