Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzgal59

How do I create privacy on a shared deck?

suzgal59
7 years ago

Greetings Houzz Friends!

Tell me your thoughts on this...

We share a connected balcony/deck with our neighbor next door. Each area is 13' x 10'. I'm trying to decide on what type of screen to purchase to create some privacy. In one of the photos I've attached, there is a 3-panel screen in the background of another unit. This type screen has been approved by the HOA. I'm not crushing on this screen and was thinking of maybe a slatted screen or maybe just some tall plants placed along the railing? I don't want anything that goes all the way across; just a little something to make it more intimate. I also have concerns about anything I put up blowing away in high winds so please keep that in mind, too. Any ideas?

Comments (27)

• Bailey R
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would buy three rather large square (about 24") & planted with vertical plants / shrubs, or a trough (rectangular) planted similarly. The reason I suggest square planters or a trough is that they are much less likely to blow over. That's what I have , I get some pretty strong winds occasionally where I live. (beach). I mulch the tops of the planters with Mexican beach stone to further weigh them down, plus it looks good.

• suzgal59
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Bailey, you wouldn't happen to have a photo would you? And what kind of plants do you have?

• coopermcboo
    7 years ago

I think the square planters are a great idea -- and (depending on where you live) I'd plant arbor vitae -- it grows pretty rapidly. It will give you height and privacy. I've seen some nice fiberglass planters in Ballard's catalog. There are some good pix on pinterest, too.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

I don't have photos unfortunately ( I'm away from home ), however, it depends upon where you live. In my area ( So California coastal) I have ficus indica vertical plants. Also, podocarpus & as mentioned above bamboo ( although bamboo sheds lots of leaves , removed mine for that reason), however, looks nice. My square planters are similar to the above photo.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Basketweave wood fence panels to match the finish of the deck, provided the HOA permits.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

find out exactly the dimensions that the HOA will allow, it has to be written down some place. go as tall as you can especially against the house, even if it drops off after, you can fill in with plants.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    7 years ago

Go with plants.... the greenery softens the space and will be pleasing for you and your neighbors - be sure to get the fiberglass pots so as not to add too much weight - bamboo works nice as a "wall" - fast growing and spreads on its own so it will be thick in no time...Or since there is nice sun there, maybe you can get a narrow holder built and hang pots of herbs that you can both use!

Good luck and have fun...

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

I live in a very popular tourist destination, I use large pots & troughs planted to create a sense of privacy without making my patios look too fortress-like. I agree that plants soften the look & look nice viewed from inside the house. Agree with fiberglass or some sort of pvc, less weight.

• Dawn Y
    7 years ago
    I would do the fence then add greenery in front of it to soften it up a bit.
  • tatts
    7 years ago

And don't forget--you're only getting the illusion of privacy. Sound carries. And unless it's a really solid wall you can still be seen. But often, it's only the illusion that matters.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I think plantings are much nicer divider than an actual fence and also create a noise buffer and a wind break.

• inabunker
    7 years ago

My vote is for the woven fence that Beverly suggested and then plants in front of it. You will get much more of a sense of privacy that way.

• suedonim75
    7 years ago

Large planters would be great, but they are also very heavy, and the weight would be a concern of mine. I'd find out if the deck could support an extra couple hundred pounds.

• suzgal59
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, everyone! These are great ideas!

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Additional thought, IF you decide on a fence & the HOA permits it, as just a matter of courtesy I would discuss it with your neighbors. However, I still believe plants much nicer..

• erinsean
    7 years ago

How about wooden trellis with plants sitting in front. Trellis could be fastened to railing so won't fall over.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

There are tons of trellises online with built in planters at the bottom.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Belgrave Mews North · More Info
    A planter full of bamboo will do the trick and quickly.

Gallery Loft · More Info

• suzgal59
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like the idea of trellis with a planter at the bottom. Especially if I can anchor to the railing. Although the square pots are a good idea, too, I'm worried that they will be heavy to manage. This is a summer place so whatever I use for screening must be able to withstand winter weather alone (ATL) or I'll have to bring inside and I honestly don't think I have room for a greenhouse in my 440 square foot condo! So a question about bamboo...is it easy to trim back✂️?

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    I'd stay with something that can be broken down and stored in the winter months. That means no heavy planters or real plants. (Because who would take care of them in the winter?). I suggest the slatted screen, in easy to move paneled sections. With your neighbor's permission, they can be wired to the dividing fence.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

You might check the garden web portion of this site for specifics on care and types of plants.

• Pam Fisher
    7 years ago

What about a woven fence with a planter with vining flowering annual, such as morning glories or trumpet honeysuckle to cover?

• PRO
    Design Builders, Inc.
    7 years ago

We love all the ideas and examples with planters.

• PRO
    Burdette Ironworks
    7 years ago

I do like the trellis idea combined with planters of some sort. I would advise going with powder coated aluminum construction. You will avoid any rusting issues this way. Instead of a woven wire or wire square mesh in a frame you could keep the design light by doing a small square bar infill in either a consistent pattern or a bit of an abstract one with large openings. 12 x 12 inch lets say. Most of our zones climbing varieties of plants will easily navigate this.

This aluminum trellis and fence project was designed so the top will grow over with climbing vegetation to hide the splash pad pump when viewed from the second floor deck.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    A trellis with planter is a good idea. Use something that will grow fast like morning glories and moon flowers. Gardener Supply has planters that are "self watering" which means it will have a water reserve that holds water and uses a wick. Cuts down on watering!
  • PRO
    McNICHOLS CO.
    7 years ago

Hi suzgal59, McNICHOLS offers a product that could help you toward your goal—ECO-MESH®. These Wire Mesh panels provide a captive grow space for climbing plants. A green facade offers the benefits of privacy, sound buffering and aesthetic appeal, just to name a few. If you have any questions, our associates are glad to walk you through the options. Good luck to you!