Software
Houzz Logo Print
toesnsand

Sanity Check on Backsplash

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone, I need some help with a backsplash selection.

Myself along with two sisters are remodeling a very small 7' x 9' kitchen in a condo which we share. The before photo is attached.

We have demoded the space and will be going back with white shaker style cabinets and hoping to reuse the brown granite.

For the backsplash we are considering Crystaline Waves with a small accent of color.

http://www.glazziotiles.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=C08-W

Also attached is a photo of our sample (sorry for the shadow), although the granite used in the photo is a close match but our actual granite is darker and has a little more movement.

We wanted something beachy and all agreed we liked it in the store but now have cold feet. Will this look Ok in the small space or is it too bold or simply too much, is this a more expensive version of the dreaded "paint chip" mistake I've made in the past.

All advice is welcome

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

  • 9 years ago

    movement tiles with movement granite is often a mismatch. the actual granite should be shown for good feedback. I get the idea of a small space with the splash of color/texture interest with this tile. As well, the floors and light cabinets take the color along with them quite well. The granite might be the deal breaker in making this work...but then again...it's so small a space that doing whats fun/ inspiring can give you more satisfaction than following drumbeat of typical rules and so forth. The solid color without the accent tile is what I would do if this were going to be the final choice, all issues considered.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree with herb, granite and proposed tile do not go well together. That granite seems to be out of place in that setting, but quite honestly, so is the tile. If you want to keep the granite, consider a mother-of-pearl shell tile mosaic like the one below.

    IF you're open to replacing the granite with white Corian - it is a very small counter (7'?) - you can consider beach-y ceramic tiles. The tiles below are from Fireclay Tile in the Wave shape, shown in Caribbean and Crater Lake, Sea Glass, and Jade. Below these are rectangular tiles by Heath Ceramics with some color variations that look beautiful together.

    Another option would be to check out local tile artists for a mural-like installation. You get to support local artists and add art to your wall.

    You know, you could just keep that kitchen completely white with a white bs, and introduce color with accent items like dishware and glasses.

  • 9 years ago

    I see the sand and sea thing you have going on there. Having lived most of my life at the coast, that combo speaks to me. I'd not use the accent tiles though. I'm a fan of accent tile, but in this case I think it's too much.

  • 9 years ago

    I looked at that same wavy multi-colored glass tile and it is so pretty. We decided against it b/c of how the waves protrude out - for cleaning and the thickness of grout and also because you lose some of that beautiful linear flow with multiple tiles b/c of the vertical grout lines between.

  • 9 years ago

    I love the wave shapes that Eam44 shared. Given the size of the kitchen, I don't think you need both a dominant tile and an accent tile. Having grown up in Puerto Rico and Florida, I love the beach vibe. Too bad I now live in a land-locked state. :)