Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Jenny Duval

9 years ago

I know it's hard to tell with no blooms, but to those of you who grow this does this look like Jenny Duval, I got it from a friend and she wasn't sure on the ID and I cannot post bloom pictures because I haven't gotten any yet. It could be because our late freezes are taking them. I'm going to re-pot soon, as it finally has put up some suckers and I would say it's about a foot tall.


Comments (59)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Melissa, Tessiess, anyone else growing Jenny Please chime in! Anyone that can help me get her, let me know where! Thanks!


    Edited to say, Tessiess your Jenny Duval on HMF has thorns, so does your looks like MG or mine/ OldRosarian or neither?

  • 9 years ago

    Mad_Gallica that bloom in the second picture, in the upper left corner is almost perfection! That Right There is the reason I've been after this rose for so long. I would gladly pay for this rose. I know she's a real estate hog, and it doesn't matter none to me. As long as the rose I get is the right one. Ex. Check out MG picture.

  • 9 years ago

    Alana. my DH and I have also been discussing moving to a colder climate because of the brutal summers!


    One of the states that we considered was your neighbor NC in the area that they call the "thermal belt". Have you heard about any weird weather there also?


    But going north also means a shorter growing season so always a trade-off! I just discovered that there is actually such a thing as an attractive greenhouse. I saw one that has a historical southern look to it with a cupola that was just dreamy.

    Alana8aSC thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • 9 years ago

    I haven't heard of the "thermal belt" but I'm sure Linda has. If she see's this thread maybe she could chime in. I know it will be a shorter growing season, but I think I'm fine with that. I think it would be better for me..I just cannot take these summers no more. The humidity and such heat not only messes with my sardcoidosis, but my fibromyalgia as well. If it would help on those that's a plus. Also if I'm able to enjoy my most favorite class of roses- well all the better I say :) Where do ya'll live at right now?

    I just hurt my foot yesterday, I stepped on a nail in a board when I was just fishing up feeding the chickens. I was fixing to play in the mulch I just got..when bam..stepped on a nail, I went to step back to miss it, because I felt it prick my skin and go through my shoe, but I'm not sure what happened but I do know I feel hard on it. It started swelling on me last night and after I took the kids to school this morning, went on to the ER. I had a nice pretty red patch on my foot that I didn't see when I put my socks on, where I was getting infection in it. They gave me a tetanus shot, a IV of antibiotic, more antibiotic to take home with me and they wanted me to see my regular doctor tomorrow, but I have an appt. so I'm to come back to the ER first thing in the morning for recheck, sooner if it's not better. I've stepped on nails before but generally do not get it bad because I step off of it. I always try to keep that kind of stuff picked up, but I've had alot going on since January, and left that board there..I knew it was there, but that still didn't stop an accident from happening. Next time, I'll walk my butt back and move that board instead of saying I'll get it later, when it comes to mind. Sorry for talking your ear off. My lesson, don't put off until tomorrow, what can be done today.

  • 9 years ago

    Great lesson indeed, but so sorry you had to receive it!


    The older I get, the more I realize it's important to live near good health care, though I can't bear to live in the city. North Texas summers have horrible heat that seems to start earlier and end later every year!


    I actually have been worried about a potential accident which hasn't happened yet. I have stakes all over the place to try to give the plants support during all of these howling windy days. Since bamboo stands out more (plus the dog eats them), I've been using dark green iron rods.


    I keep picturing myself enthusiastically diving in to deadhead something on a lower branch and goring myself to death. Death by deadheading! The only saving grace is that I'm not that flexible to reach the lower branches quickly.


    I think I'm going to post this on another thread and see if anybody has ever had this problem. Hope your foot heals soon!

    Alana8aSC thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I've picturing something similar happening to myself. I'm going to take all mine out and replace with rebar. Something about 10 feet tall sounds good, I'm too short to fall into that! :)

    I've also have pictured falling down and having my chickens peck me to death, like for example yesterday when I hurt foot. Well pain has been known to cause seizures in me, especially an unexpected painful pain of any kind. ( I've had seizures since I was five, but that's another story) So when I got hurt yesterday, the thought was DO NOT pass out before getting INSIDE the HOUSE! I didn't pass out, but there's always a chance. Ya know chickens are just miniature dinosaur's, right.

  • 9 years ago

    I think mine is actually colored rebar. It's a steel spike, right? I was trying to make mine shorter but that's an excellent point about making them taller. Except my roses are all too short, or supposed to be!


    That's a scary thought about those chickens, yikes! Are they friendly otherwise?


    I had been glad the birds and their poop had been staying away because of big puppy but now have been begging them to come back and eat my cucumber beetles! I want to try a bird bath to entice them but am worried about it turning into a mosquito pit.

    Alana8aSC thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • 9 years ago

    I've seen dozens of different roses labeled as 'Jenny Duval' and even I'm not sure which one is "correct". I wouldn't dare judge its ID based on leaf/thorn morphology.


    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Alana, the weather is fairly seasonal (warm in summer and cold in winter with some snow and ice). I caved and bought portable ACs a couple of years ago because the summers have been warmer and our bedrooms are upstairs. Nothing like southern US heat. However, cost of living is sky high now! Come anyway? :-) Carol

    Alana8aSC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 9 years ago

    I was mostly joking about the chickens. ..but it could happen. lol Yes they are friendly otherwise. I love my hens, I have met with a few mean roosters. I had one spur me not long ago because his hens went into the pen with me, where they SHOULD have been, but because I had been sick, I was lax and was letting them run around some, and when I was penning them back up, he didn't appreciate me taking his ladies. Atleast I know he would fight to keep them safe. I'm just glad I had pants on, it wasn't bad, I just don't turn my back to him no more :)

    On the Rebar, I thought you were talking about that cheap thing from walmart, it's green colored, but not rebar. Atleast I have had mine break in half, so I'm not sure what they are made out of.

    Thanks Paul, I want Mad_Gallica's version. Judging from her bloom pictures that's the one that I have fallen in love with from my books. Where ever I can get it from. Hopefully somewhere has it. I was talking on another one of my post, But I sure hope North Creek Farm starts back selling roses. I feel as if I'm late for the party..Everywhere that has all my roses I want, are closed, not in-stock, don't list them anymore, ect, ect. I guess I shouldn't be so picky, Huh? I just loved these roses, as everyone who knows me knows that.

    Carol Here's to dreaming! I'll be there or near there one day! Atleast not to far driving distance :)

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Alana, I took some photos of my Jenny Duval the other day for your thread, but didn't get back to these forums to post them. Mine is from Heirloom in the early/mid 1990s, and I remember from their catalog they weren't sure this was Jenny Duval or President du Seize (Sieze--I can never spell it). She is a garden thug and suckers everywhere!!!




    No flowers open yet this year, but it looks as if she will put on a huge display. Lots of buds forming.

    Alana8aSC thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks Tessiess! I saw on HMF that yours had thorns. Does your blooms look like Mad_Gallica's when it blooms? What do you think of mine? Could it be Jenny, just young? What are your thoughts?

  • 9 years ago

    For those of you who have the correct Jenny, can I buy her from you / or can you send suckers to Rogue Valley or Somewhere, To Linda at longago, anywhere..just so I can purchase her please. Sorry if I'm being extreme, but after five years of trying to get this rose, I'm feeling alittle rose crazy right now. ~ Smiles! :)

  • 9 years ago

    I don't remember where mine came from. This is a newly opened bloom and so it has NOT yet matured to its grey-and-lavender phase.


    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Paul! So beautiful! The color seems right, thought the petal count is different from MG, The color is right. That beautiful dusky lavender is what I call it. Not sure what the correct term is for the color. I just so love this rose :) That color, just so beautiful! Your leaves look different than both Melissa'a and MG I think, I could be wrong though. Do you think it's a difference in climate?

  • 9 years ago

    Alana,

    My plant has produced blooms with 65 petals sometimes, and as few as 20. It is extremely variable in petal count, as well as color.


    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here's how variable my Jenny Duval has been in the three seasons I've grown it so far:

    Year 1:

    Year 2 (this is how I want it to be):

    Another one from year 2:

    Year 3 (back to the low petal count of the first season!):

    ...and a photo of some naked canes from today:

    Alana8aSC thanked Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
  • 9 years ago

    Thank You, I wonder if mine just needs more time to mature?

  • 9 years ago

    I planted my JD in the spring of 2014 (bare-root) and it bloomed the first season. Unusual for once blooming roses.

    Alana8aSC thanked Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
  • 9 years ago

    It's in a pot. IME, most own-root gallicas, hate, despise, loathe, and really, really don't like being in a pot.

    Alana8aSC thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I am moving it up to a bigger pot, it will go in the ground once I see blooms. I know it can be grown in a pot, there are alot of old post showing that it can. I don't doubt it needs a bigger one. It just filled that one and will be going up in size. But I need to know what I have before placing in the ground.

  • 9 years ago

    Mad gallica, do you think there is a chance of mine being Jenny or were you just generalizing Gallica's? I know they don't like being in small pots. I got whatever I got as a sucker, Just letting it grow to start with, it has been potted up once I think, and I will pot it up again. I just like to see blooms before I put something in the ground. I think it's two years old sucker. This is it's second Spring.

  • 9 years ago

    Gallicas won't tolerate pots for long, period. The entire class hates cramped roots.

    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Ok I just know know from past post some people grew them that to control their suckering. I was just leaving it in their until I saw blooms. Maybe I'll just plant it ( whatever it is ) this fall.

  • 9 years ago

    Alana, I have grown Gallicas in BIG pots, but as others have noted, they will fill the pots with their stoloniferous selves over time and become bound and unhappy. When I grow stolon spreading (suckering) OGRs in pots, I grow them in durable, injection molded nursery tree pots in the 20-25 gallon range. I dig them out every few years and thin out the mother ship and satellites and then replant the smaller clump and pass along the progeny. Or I keep the progeny and pass along the original clump. This method is a pain and a hassle, but it has worked well for me. I currently grow several Gallicas in pots. They're pretty tame for a few years...with exceptions. If I ever choose grow Charles de Mills again, I will tame him using this method. He's the worst garden hog of all, I believe! Carol

    Alana8aSC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 9 years ago

    They can hardly sucker if they're budded and planted high.. My CdM hasn't suckered in 5 years in the ground.

    Alana8aSC thanked nikthegreek
  • 9 years ago

    I'm counting on the graft for a few of mine, too. I just have to prevent the soil from piling up around the base and covering the graft over time. Fingers crossed! Carol

    Alana8aSC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks Carol! I know exactly what pots your talking about. I think I have 1-2 that I can use. Thanks for telling me how to thin them out, that was really helpful, as none of the one's that are in pot's have gotten big yet. Most of them will eventually be put in the ground I hope, But if I have to grow them in pots forever I will. :)

  • 9 years ago

    Ohh I did email Heirloom, they no longer have her, also I emailed Hortico, because they are said to have her, but they said while they do carry her and President de Seize, they did not have either of them available for this year. So maybe next year I can get her from Hortico.

  • 9 years ago

    HEY!!! I got one bloom on whatever I have! SO happy! Also Tour de Malakoff has blooms and my order just came in from Burlington! So excited! I hope it opens up and ends up being my Jenny! That would be so cool if it did!!! I'm like open..open..open and be Jenny :)

  • 9 years ago

    Post a picture of the bud!

    Alana8aSC thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • 9 years ago

    ok give me a sec


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It's small but it there :)

  • 9 years ago

    I just took a bunch of photos of Jenny Duval buds in various stages prior to opening. It appears this year she is going to be rather lighter than usual. With this rose expect the unexpected--in color and number of petals.





    Alana8aSC thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • 9 years ago

    To me mine is different than yours, I'm waiting on the bloom to get older to confirm it, but your new leaf growth is red tinged and mine is green.


  • 9 years ago

    I have plenty of suckers right now, in case you are still interested. I found out just how many recently as I was digging up a sucker of R. alabukensis for someone else. Had to pull apart Jenny Duval suckers that were mingled with R. alabukensis. She is a thug (but a beautiful one), there is no doubt about it.

    Alana8aSC thanked Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
  • 9 years ago

    That would be awesome! Just shoot me a message whenever, and I'll be more than happy to pay for postage ( reimburse you for it) or if there is something of mine you would like cuttings of, or I do have few things suckering, though not many, mine are still so young, I know I have a few suckers on R. Carolina, just let me know! Thank You SO Much!

  • 9 years ago

    Tessiess My life is catching a break and slowing down enough for me to bump this up in hopes that you will see it. Much Thanks!

  • 9 years ago

    Tessiess bumping this up..hoping your not to busy to see.

  • 9 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    I know you have all seen this most likely but I'm bumping up so Melissa and Tessiess can see and tell me what they think and anyone else who see's this, feel free to add anything as well!

  • 8 years ago

    Bumping this up one last time..what do you think of the bloom? Anybody?

  • 8 years ago

    Bumping this up one more last time :) ..what do you think of the bloom? Anybody? I'm sure everyone's busy with all the pretty weather we are having, but Tessiess and Mad Gallica, what do you think? Anyone else? Opinions?

  • 8 years ago

    I don't recognize it looking like Jenny Duval on HMF. I wish I could be more help Alana.

    Alana8aSC thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago

    I second Sheila. Also IRRC 'Jenny Duval' is supposed to look very much like 'Du Maitre d'Ecole'. Your rose does not look like either of these roses on HMF.

    Cath

    Alana8aSC thanked cathz6
  • 8 years ago

    To me it's looks similar to henrik's picture above, the first one. But not certain, Mad Gallica's plant displays the color that I am so after. What everyone says though it's a very variable rose. It can look different every year. That's why I'm hoping that Tessiess and Mad Gallica, or anyone else that grow's her will chime in. Thanks so much for your input though! It is appreciated. Whatever she is I'm really liking her! I can't wait for this Spring :)

  • 8 years ago

    Tessiess did you ever see the bloom open on my study (hopefully)Jenny Duval? I'll look and see if I took pictures of bloom this Spring and post if I did too.

  • 8 years ago

    These are alittle pink, but my phone doesn't catch the darker hues, when a rose has them

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    Sorry to keep bumping for those that have seen this :)